Action Figures

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. I am thinking of getting an action figure but I'm torn between the 9" or 12"? In terms of detail and actor resemblance, which is better? Are both dressed in cloth or just painted? I prefer cloth.

Also, I know the majority of people keep them in their packaging but is it okay to take them out and display them instead?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Generally speaking, both 9 and 12 inch are dressed in cloth. I'm not a collector in the sense of keeping or displaying things, but I have been looking at creating displays of a bridge with one crew or another. The 9 inch has a little more variety, I've found, but the 12 inch can work with many other action figures in the same scale-GI JOE, Barbie, Star Wars, etc.

A quick run down on the 9 inch collection: https://www.mastercollector.com/articles/reviews/review102204-10.htm

12 inch had a little bit more variety, and was tied in with a couple of films (Insurrection and Star Trek 09, for instance), so it depends on what era you are wanting to collect.

Hope that helps!

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Heresy! Heresy, I say! Burn the witch!

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm rather disturbed that you think it's necessary to ask our opinion about what you can do with something you buy. Do whatever you want. :D

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I miss Art Asylum.

And no freaking plastic coffins for me, my babies are free!!

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You people are all crazy, what's next? Buying books and then open and leaf through them? Buying a car and then drive around in it? Barbarians!

;)

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

What gets me are people who buy collectors' guitars and then play them! :wtf:

Taking action figures out of the package is fine unless it's Marauder Mo.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If that's what you want to do, not only is it okay, it is your fundamental right to do so.

I've been collecting action figures for nearly 40 years. The only ones that are in their original packaging are only a handful with re-sealable packaging. The rest lose their packaging as soon as I get them home. And I display the heck out of them on my living room table (when I don't have company over), often rotating between various toylines at my discretion.

10. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Completely agree. I'm the first to admit I've got more Trek action figures than I need or should have. :rommie: But I use them rather than just have them in boxes.

This.

Without a doubt, my favorite Action figures. Especially their early work with Enterprise, Nemesis and TOS. Some of their TNG work was good, but eventually they started to go downhill. It's really too bad. I'm glad we got some DS9 out of the AA/DST group, but it remains a big bummer that they never did anything from VOY.

11. Janeway’s Girl

I have always thought it was weird to keep stuff in it's packaging. I understand people do that to make money off them but if you are just going to sell, what's the point of buying in the first place?

12. CorporalClegg

I think people who do that see the item solely as an investment.

I.E buy a special-print vinyl record for $30, keep it in the package, and two decades later it's worth $1000. People stick to things they're interested because they know a lot about it and can make educated guesses as to what its appreciation will be.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

14. Janeway’s Girl

Era? Meaning which series? Voyager!

15. Janeway’s Girl

Does anyone know of a good reliable website to buy from?

16. CorporalClegg

17. C.E. Evans

There was a mom & pop web store called simply StarTrekToys.com that specialized in Playmates Trek toys, ships, and role play gear (with a few by Art Asylum/DST). I shopped there a few times, but it's been ages since the last time I did.
    http://www.startrektoys.com/pages/home.htm

18. Janeway’s Girl

I have checked it out. How was your shopping experience? Good customer service? Quality products?

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Era or series, or movie, etc. It all is matter of what characters you want and what variety you want them in. I've been pretty impressed with the 9 inch collection (happened upon some at a local antique store) and the fact that Kirk has multiple uniforms can offer some variety.

Antique stores are a great place to scout out some hidden finds, especially many of the ones like around my home, which have multiple vendors in one building. Can find some good stuff there, but prices will vary.

What series are you think of looking for?

20. C.E. Evans

It was pretty cool all around. I used it to get a bunch of figures I had taken a pass on earlier--like most of the Star Trek: Generations line--and I didn't have any problems or complaints. Mind you, I'm the take out of the packaging type, but I don't recall any of the stuff I ordered being in poor condition.