Battle For Terra

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cynical dreamer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

That movie would be dope if it wasn't a cartoon... but it still might be okay.

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Wow, impressive. A reversal of the standard alien invading Earth story. This time, we're the invaders.

3. Which is a neat twist on the old concept.

The movie certainly looks impressive. Great visuals, great cast (Brian Cox!) and despite being animated, looks like it takes its subject matter very seriously. Can't wait to see this one. It completely snuck up on me until this evening. And it comes out a week before Trek 11 so it'll be a warm up for that.

Anybody have any background on this film and its production?

4. And to answer my own question, from Wikipedia:

Sounds like this film has a bit of a pedigree. High hopes for this one.

5. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Looks great. Might be the first movie of its kind that I really, REALLY want to see.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Calling the planet "Terra" is a strange choice, since that's another name for Earth, but looks good.

7. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I thought so as well...

*shrugs*

8. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Saw it at Tribeca last year, when it was just called "Terra". I enjoyed it.

9. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was really wondering if anyone knew the story behind what happened to this movie. I wanted to see it, but it never opened around here and Box Office Mojo says that it has only grossed $1,618,603 since May 1 (basically a weekday afternoon for Star Trek).

I thought it looked really cool. Did it suck or something?

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check for it when it comes to DVD. I really like the idea of making humans bad guys for once, it seems, in a sci-fi film.

11. FemurBone

FemurBone Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I for one have seen this movie. I caught it on opening weekend. Needless to say the theater was nearly empty.

The movie was okay. It gets off to a slow start, but it picks up about half way through. All in all it was an interesting concept but the script could have used more development.

and Terra is the name the invading humans give to the planet. It's not the native name of the planet.

I can briefly explain why the humans are invading if no one minds the spoilers.

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was there even any advertising for it? I'm a fan of animation and missed this entirely. Breaks my heart that it bombed so badly. All it can do is discourage studios from taking chances on doing anything besides whacky talking animal movies.
    Oh well, at least theres still Pixar.

Stupid movie-goers.

13. FemurBone

FemurBone Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I remember seeing an ad for it on this Board, but I could be mistaken.

and I remember seeing comercials for it on tv.

14. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

when does this come out? ads for it have ceased. anyway, it would do better if they didn't look too... comical, i guess. it's quite a serious story but the character design detract from it. seems like something light hearted and comical, but it's not. it's like they are trying to appeal to children viewers when the story is a bit more serious than that.

15. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I think if it tanks bad enough (and it looks like it is) that maybe Hollyweird won't try and foist off any more of this neo-Druid, environmentalist, PC crap on us...

1.6 million is 1.6 million than it SHOULD have earned, no matter how well filmed it might be.

16. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

So you agree that we should just take what we want, no matter who it hurts? Fantastic.

Oh, and:

[​IMG]

17. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

^No, but the whole "humans BAD! Hurt pretty things! Must stop evil human hurters!" bullshit is simplistic neo-Gaiaist propaganda.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I could have a lot more respect for your positions if you didn't lace them up with silly pseudo-intellectual labels.

19. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a bit of an interest in seeing this too, but it didn't seem to play anywhere around here -- which is really weird, considering it's a Canadian production (I think)!

Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD...