(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:lol: good point!

Although some great headers have been little guys. David Speedie used to be incredible considering he was only 5'7 or somesuch!

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Barca deserved to win it but you can tell UEFA told the ref don't send anyone off early please we want good entertainment because am not sure how PIQUE avoided being sent off in 1st half for last man challenge unless somehow Toure being BEHIND Ronaldo doesn't count as well not being BEHIND him :lol:

Fergie needs to unleash Rooney in big games, hes a FUCKING STRIKER not a WINGER. I think thsi shows Fergie needs a playmaker in middle AKA young SCHOLES and a strike partner for Rooney like Villa.

3. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're looking for a welder in Manchester - need to put the roof back on the bus!!

4. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bah I won't forget how close Milan was able to win those three Champions league final in a row back in the mid 90s.

5. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well now ... got that wrong.
    Can't remember the last time I saw United played off the park like that.

Henry can now add a Champions League medal to go along with winning the Euros, the World Cup, La Liga, Copa del Rey, FA Cup, French League, some obscure French Cup or another and the Premier League along with a ton of individual awards. Good for him.

Watching Ronaldo accuse Puyol of diving redefined the word "irony".

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I always knew under those girly Puyol locks there was a huge GIRL :) seriously yes Ronaldo a diver but man I felt like giving Puyol a tissue to cry into.

7. TheArsenal

I watched Barcelona more weeks than not this season. And, like the rest of the entire Spanish League, gravity affects them more strongly and seems to pull them quite easily to the floor at the slightest touch.

But tonight - Puyol aside - one thing I saw Barcelona do, that I haven't seen a Spanish side do before, was quickly adjust to the refereeing. Both Messi and Iniesta in particular were getting knocked to the grass but sprang back up to keep possession, where in the league they stay down when tackled like that.

There was reportedly - I don't read Spanish - a lot of hang wringing in the Spanish press over the English dominance in the Champions League. They theorized that the easy free kicks were leaving Spanish teams at a disadvantage in more physical inter-league play. I'm willing to bet this is something Barcelona took into account from the looks of it.

It was also easier for them to stay on their feet by not letting United within five yards of the ball. ;)

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

And Milan lost two of those three finals. Besides, that was ages ago also.

eta: btw, Dejan Savicevic <3 :)

9. Daedalus12

10. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that too many people will care here, but Werder Bremen won the German Cup (DFB Pokal). [​IMG]

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I await Hermoid to congratulate Chelsea on their remarkable FA Cup victory. Money talks, bullshit walks. :lol:

12. Roger Wilco

Congratulations. I've had a soft spot for Werder ever since Herzog played there in the early 90s, besides they are green-white which is nice too. ;)

I'm also happy that Nürnberg is winning the promotion play-off and not that asshole club from Cottbus.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What was remarkable about it, Argak ? I'll say one thing, though, Malouda was very unlucky.

14. TheArsenal

Lived in Bremen for awhile, so I care. Well done!

15. Garak

I think a victory in any competition with 762 entrants and such a rich history attached to it is remarkable, no?

Then again, Arsenal "fans" might have forgotten what it feels like to win altogether, so I understand why you asked. Sad smiley face :(

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Photo of you inside Stamford Bridge before you comment about Arsenal fans.

17. Garak

Wouldn't want to make you more jealous than you already are!

18. Daedalus12

BTW Garak what do you think about Carletto making Stamford Bridge his new home? It's really a very strange feeling for me as Carletto has been in Milan for so long. I have to say that after 8 years I feel quite sad that he is gone. He could've brought us 4 champions league titles (2 is good enough for most managers) but of course his teams were always prone to late catastrophic collapses. It's one of the main reason why he only won one scudetto while he was here. The other reason of course is the Moggi era Juve monopolizing all the cheatings in Italy.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but you crossed a line this time. I won't take lectures on being a "fan" from a glory hunting armchair like you.

20. Roger Wilco

:lol:

What are you going to do - be really, really mad at him?