Fox officially renews Fringe, NBC picks up Day One and renews Heroes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 4, 2009.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been known for a while that Fox would be renewing Fringe. Today they've made it official via a press release announcing a renewal for a full second season.

NBC announced today that they've renewed Heroes for a fourth season (as expected) and picked up Day One for next season. Here's the description of Day One from NBC's website:

The cast includes David Lyons, Julie Gonzalo, Adam Campbell, Carly Pope, Thekla Reuten, Derek Mio, Addison J. Timlin, Catherine Dent, April Grace, and Xander Berkeley. There's been speculation that it may run as a limited event series rather than as an ongoing series.

NBC is holding fans of Chuck and Medium in suspense. It looks like official word of their fate may only come on May 19th when NBC unveils its full line-up. It's rumored that both shows will come back, but time will tell.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Fox officially renews Fringe, NBC picks up Day One and renews Hero

NBC picked up 2 comedies (presumably for Thursday Nights) and 4 new dramas. Next year NBC will be having 5 less hours of nightly time with Leno taking over the 10pm weeknight slot.

BTW, the Hollywood reporter said Medium has been picked up for next year at a slightly lower episode count (13-18) the number probably depending on how succesful these new shows are and how soon they'd need to rush Medium in as a mid-season replacement.

Day One apparently is set for a 'limited run' so I'm thinking it will be a lower episode count and probably run from start to finish with no mid-season hiatus break. Which would make sense. I think lower episode counts and running shows without the mid-season rerun hiatus break would be a lot better for Network TV. Lower episode counts mean lower costs and not having the show disappear for 2 months means keeping viewers rom start to finish off a season more likely.

So I think next year NBC is looking like 4 new dramas, 2 new comedies with 3 comedies(The Office, 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation), 4 Dramas(Southland, Law & Order: SVU, Friday Night Lights, Medium) apparently all confirmed. 3 new reality series planned for next year with 2 confirmed returning (Celebrity Apprentice & Biggest Loser)

That amounts to 13 hour long shows planned for next year with 5 comedies(well 6 since an SNL thursday thing is planned as well).

I think the chances of Chuck returning are becoming slimmer, but it could squeak in with a lower episode count. Especially if NBC views it as a better partner for Heroes then anything else on it's schedule. I think Day One is planned to be 9pm instead of heroes right? So it's not a lead-in to it.

Also one thing I didn't mention is NBC has yet to announce the fate of Law & Order so that could wind up back and taking up a potential slot.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Wahoo! My wife recently shot an episode of Fringe, that they told her was going to be a part of season two...

...not that there was much doubt that it would happen, but, still, I want to see my wife on TV.

4. Angry Angel

Angry Angel Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent, it's one of my favorite shows at the moment together with The Unit.

5. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

has anyone heard anything about Heroes getting a reduced number of episodes for season 4?

6. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I'd wish they'd just make a decision and not have us wait til the 19th. They said they wanted a quality line up this year. My ass they do. They renewed Heroes after all. Chuck is their most critically acclaimed show, and they're hosing it around like this. I think they were going to cancel it to make room for Leno but the uproar from fans, critics, and advertisers have caused them to reconsider.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Limited series? FFS. :rolleyes:

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

From what I've heard, Redemption will run 18-20 episodes. Unless that's changed.

9. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great, now they just need to do the same for Dollhouse and Fox will have gone a whole season without doing anything to piss me off.

I'm not holding my breath.

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

NBC should have just picked up Jericho. That description pretty much describes Jericho and I'd rather see that continue then invest in something new right now.

11. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Jericho was pants. It shouldn't have even got it's shortened second season.

12. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Heretic! Prepare to be burned at the stake!:p

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Medium, L&O, and Chuck will all be picked up for a random amount of episodes around 13-18.

14. Thrall

As long as I get an end episode for Chuck that's all I care about. Getting invested in a show without an end is the most frustrating thing.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heroes is The Sopranos compared with NBC's utterly generic new lineup: Videos of NBC's new cancellation fodder.

Say what you want about the writing, but at least Heroes isn't exactly like every other frakkin' show on the air. :rommie:
    At least Jericho was set in Kansas. Anything is more original than Yet Another Show Based in LA.

16. Thrall

Very true. But generic tends to sell better then it should.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Absolutely fantastic news on Fringe.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

On CBS - they've cornered the market on that stuff. I don't think the NBC audience is into generic as much. Look at how Southland has nose-dived. Just a few episodes into the show, it's down to a 2.1/ 6, which is worse than Chuck now. So if Southland gets renewed...???

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Southland is getting renewed for just 13 episodes next season. NBC wants to give the show another chance I guess...

20. Thrall

Chuck's getting shit on because it's not owned by NBC/Universal. If it was, it would already be renewed. It does better then just about every Must See TV Thursdays show but The Office.