Fellow Anime Fan's Please Watch This Video

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by GhostFaceSaint, Oct 21, 2009.

1. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was ten minutes of my life I'll never get back.

3. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Preaching to the chior with me, I already buy what I can to support the shows I like. As for unlicensed series if they want me to pay for stuff like Gundam Victory or SPT Layzner they should release the damn DVDs so I wouldn't have to torrent them.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll support legal releases as long as the companies respect the fans in return. If all we get are crappy dub only versions, or material thats poor quality, then yes I'm gonna get my fix through 'alternate means'.

To be fair though, the only real 'pirated' show I still own is Season 1-2 of Sailor Moon (yeah, I'm old). In that case, the parent company only released two box sets with very sub-par sound and video quality. Both sold out and went OOP within a year. The disks I own were dubbed off laserdisks and look and sound just fine. They're subbed, have fact files explaining some of the cultural references, fan art galleries, and interviews with the crew and voice actors. Release a package like that to stores and I'd be first in line.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

thats the thing with anime in America, it isn't widely available, and because Adult Swim got burned with some crappy anime (i'm looking at YOU Blue Gender & Wolf's Rain) that they aren't showing anime as much anymore, used to be you could sit down and watch Sailor Moon, DragonBall, DBZ, Tenchi Muyo/Universe/In Tokyo, Gundam, & Outlaw Star and not have to get up off the couch.

Fox had a station that on saturday and sunday ran anime in the mornings, they had some good ones, too, like Flint the time detective, Digimon (back when it was good) Monster Rancher, and what was that one with the pig? then they sold the station to ABC which scrubbed it of anything good(also, since FOX fucked up and ran Escaflowne in thier kids section they have been leery about running anime).

It's difficult to get any new, good, anime on TV to drive interest in DVD sales, DVD's are Brutal (typicaly 3-5 episodes for a $22 disc or having 25-26 episode series split in thirds) but thats changing, full season sets (at reasonable enough prices) are becoming more predomanant, but thats only when you can find them, and alot of good stuff, the stuff I want, was never given a fair DVD run, if one at all, so it's not all the basement dwelling, pimply, 500lb anime snobs that think that Marcus "the typo king" fansubber can do a better job of translations than an anime company that are fucking things up ( but please, take a bath, then go die in a fire)

6. CorporalClegg

^
    Except therein lies the problem. In most cases the fansubs are better than the "professional" ones.

With fansubs these days, typos are virtually non existent. Subbers simply do a better job of proofreading than they did 5-10 years ago.

Plus, with fansubs (the good ones, anyway) you get the add bonus of color coded fonts that are easier to read, on screen text translated, and various subber notes which, when used properly, really add to the content of the show.

7. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    The problem you are forgetting or ignoring is that in those fan subbs no money goes back to the studios in Japan, and they are hurting for money right now. The right thing for the fan subbers would be to set up advertising on a website posting their videos and a licensing agreement with the studio, its not that hard! Otherwise anime will soon disappear.:brickwall:

8. CorporalClegg

Nonsense. The dire straits of the anime business is vastly exaggerated. The only ones who are hurting are the CEOs of the distributors; their paychecks are a little smaller.

Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't end up buying the anime they download, anyway. I do. All my friends do. And the small group of fans on the TBBS all do too. I think you'll find that's pretty common.

People don't download anime because it's free. That's a big misconception propagated by the industry and people like the chick in the vid.

9. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Yeah like they're actually gonna release Macross Frontier on Blu-Ray in the west.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Tru dat! OP, you seem to forget that original creators get very few returns!

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't.

I may be old-fashioned here, but I generally don't like to pay to watch TV shows. There's the occasional show I love that I will buy, but I'm not going to buy every show I watch. I loved Code Geass, but I have no intention of ever watching it again so why would I spend a fortune buying the DVDs to collect dust on a shelf?

I try to seek out official sources to watch anime when I can, such as Hulu or Funimation's recent One Piece broadcast, but if there is no legal source I will pirate away and not feel the slightly bit guilty.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish.

My thing is that I'm keeping up with new shows. Crunchyroll/Funimation kind of helps, but there's a lot of stuff that's still not licensed. It's the same with BBC or ABC shows that I watch. I'm not going to wait a year for Ashes to Ashes to come out over here when I can watch it when it comes out.