Why is DS9 never hinted at in 'Enterprise' when all the shows were?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ReadyAndWilling, Mar 6, 2011.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

i've seen all the episodes of ENT and we see hints at VOY with the Borg episode, hints of TNG and of course, LOTS of hints at TOS, but nothing regarding DS9.

why didn't we ever see a founder or talk of the dominion? i know these were first seen in DS9, but maybe they could have imported them into the show without actually naming them. or maybe meeting a rogue group of Jem'Hadar who don't talk of the dominion. or a changeling who needs help and doesn't want to return 'home' but never says what home actually is.

is it because DS9 was like the strange stepchild of the ST franchise?

2. Subcommander R.

Subcommander R. Commodore Commodore

Re: Why is DS9 never hinted at in 'Enterprise' when all the shows were

I don't know. But frankly I found the incessant tie-ins of ENT to be a detriment to the show. I wanted to see more mundane alien species being 'new.' Instead we got the same damn repeats of the other series.

If they'd had an extra season we'd probably have been forced to endure bat'leth-wielding Jem'Hadar-Borg.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We did see "hints" of DS9 through the use of the Ferengi in ENT.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a huge DS9 shout-out with Section 31. Section 31 appeared in four episodes of ENT -- more episodes than they appeared in DS9, actually!

There were other DS9 shout-outs, not the least of which would be the casting of Jeffrey Combs as Shran, and the Ferengi episode.

But DS9's premise is actually one that makes it much harder to do a proper shout-out. It's set in an area of space that the Federation had apparently not contacted until at least Kirk's time, and the various Gamma Quadrant species had literally never been in the Alpha Quadrant before.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a while so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but wasn't there a mention of a Cardassian poet or something at one point?

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tied to Section 31 in ENT is another huge shout out to DS9 - answering the question as to why Klingons in TOS looked different to Klingons in the TOS movies and TNG. Until "Trials and Tribble-ations" no one on screen had ever mentioned the Klingons' change in appearance. Without DS9 throwing in a throw away line or two about it ENT could have simply just ignored the issue as the rest of Trek had.

The only Cardassian poet I remember getting a mention was an exile on Vulcan that one of the Dax hosts met, so that was in DS9 not ENT.

The Organians mentioned Cardassians in "Observer Effect". (Courtesy of MA when I went to look up the poet's name)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since the Borg originated on TNG and the ones seen in ENT are from First Contact I'd call that a TNG "shout out". :borg:

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't think there are ANY Voyager shout-outs, but the Section-31 stuff is pure DS9.

Of course, with the last episode especially, TNG wins. :lol:

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And we all lose.

10. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

that's true. i completely forgot about that section 31.

11. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was talk about doing first contact with one of the TNG/DS9 races in Season 5, had it occurred - and I'm pretty sure the person being interviewed (Manny Coto, I believe) rattled off some races like "Bajoran, Trill, Betazoid"

Edit: I almost forgot, The Augments arc was technically as much a shout out to DS9 was it was to TOS - DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" is when someone asks Worf about the missing head ridges and he says "We do not speak of it."

12. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Personally, with ENT, I would've preferred to have more TOS era races involved instead of bringing in races not met until TNG, DS9 and VOY. Specifically I really disliked the Borg and Ferengi in ENT. Especially the Borg! But that's just me.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure T'Pol at some point mentions a Cardassian. It's driving me nuts now..

I know there is a Cardassian drink mentioned in ST:XI so it's possible I mixed it up. But.. I remember thinking about it when I heard it. Gah.

14. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Isn't there a Cardassian seen in the Automated Repair Station from season 2 that was hooked up to the bio system?

On using Changelings in Enterprise, I would say there were oppurtunities to having them as we know that as well as Odo and one other there were around a 100 sent out from the Homeworld. Enterprise could've came across a planet that may have had one of these Hundred arrive on the planet.

15. DrTikhon

DrTikhon Ensign Red Shirt

The thing I loved about ENT was dealing with Andorians, Tellarites, and Vulcans on a somewhat common basis. I would have loved it if Shran really became a member of the Enterprise crew like in those season 5 rumors.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Section 31's appearence in "Affliction"/"Divergence" was a big DS9 shout-out.

FWIW, Bajorans, Cardassians, Maquis and even Trills are all inventions of The Next Generation.

17. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I think the Maquis first appeared on DS9.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

S31 was appropriate because there's no reason to think it was unknown previous to DS9. But the Borg and Ferengi were treated at though they were unknown previous to TNG, which made them awkward fits into ENT. The Ferengi are completely useless except for comedy (where they are mostly useless) and the Borg are famously overexposed, so there was no benefit to dragging either in, anyway.

I would have much preferred that as well.

And me. ;) And a whole lot of other people who screamed their heads off at the time.

Yeah, they finally got onto the right track in the latter seasons, just in time to get cancelled. :mad:

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

According to MA, yes, though I watched it last night and could only make out a Klingon. :p

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aside from the obvious (Section 31) Enterprise had some really obscure DS9 referances. In the Augments arc Dr. Soong refers to the Briar Patch by it's Klingon name Klach D'Kell Brakt, which we know from DS9 is where Kor won a defining victory of his. Also, the Klingon forehead arc had a referance to the Hur'q, which also originated from DS9.