The Fight: worst episode ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by klwilbur, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Beltran always complained about the scripts, and when they'd give him something to carry by himself, they were some of the suckassiest episodes ever. Early in the series they did give him some good action oriented stuff. But in later years, they give him mindboggling mystic hoodoo uggawuggawigwam crap that's barely comprehensible. I did like "Shattered", but Beltran apparently hated it.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Not his fault the writing for VOY was mostly bad.

3. Lipton

Lipton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

picsiskvinechef: I knew boxing is dangerous and I still know it. It's not what The Doctor said, it's how they wrote it for him. Actually, it was that combined with Chakotay's reaction and the music that was playing. The scene came across way too corny to be taken seriously, not the medical fact.

I'm not literal minded. I don't always speak precisely.

Melakon: Yeah, the trek peeps were pretty burnt out from doing two series at once and saved their best writers for the DS9 Dominion arc. I heard somewhere that they wanted to end the series in season 6 but decided to renew it for one more. I'm glad they did, Season 7 was much better than Season 6.

The only major thing with Season 7 that I found done poorly was the Chakotay/Seven romance that was thrown in because they felt they had to have a romance. Wasn't believable. I'd rather they had a show where he went around his day to day duties as XO and had Neelix follow him around with a camera.

JanewayRulz!: I did enjoy Tuvok snoring. I just wish they would have had a little more on the ship.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If anything, they should have extended that Harry/Seven thing. 3 seasons from going from a teenager crush to a respectable working relationship to a real one.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Instead we got a terrified Harry after Seven offered him sex. I realized Harry was never going to amount to anything!:p

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the medical science displayed in the 24th century, why would any martial art be considered "dangerous?" While people do die in the ring and on the mat, it is very rare. More people are kill today riding bicycles.

The slow cumulative brain damage that sometimes leads older fighters to experience mental problems would surely be a thing of history.

:)

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

It would be considered dangerous because one could still sustain an injury. Those injuries can most likely be easily fixed in the 24th century, but if two people are boxing, one takes a hard blow to the head and gets a concusion, or a blow to the stomach and ruptures their spleen or something. The doctor can fix it but that doesn't mean that boxing isn't dangerous

8. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked parts of False Profits. I always found the Ferengi funny.

As for Kes, her isolation probably contributed to her being angry, also as we saw in another episode old Ocampans loose their memory. Plus when she came onto Voyager she was a year old. It was like a teenager running away with her boyfriend, not really thinking about the consequenses of never seeing her family again. As she got older and gained more life experience Kes probably began to realize that. On top of her loosing her memory it all comes together to make angy Kes, I think it makes perfect sense.

9. T'Girl

If the doctor can fix it then what's the "danger?"

If the EMH's objection is to any activity the could possibly produce an injury, then that covers quite a bit of ground. We saw Picard riding a horse at a canter, Crusher (iirc) once treated a crewmember who broke their arm playing parrises squares.

10. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

just because an injury can be healed doesn't mean an activity can't be dangerous. A potential for injury is what makes something dangerous.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's indeed an interesting question. In Star Trek, they can cure cancer with ease. Does that mean they can eat and drink and smoke whatever and as much they want, and excessively lie around in the sun? There are so many things that we should not do today because it causes cancer. Because right now, cancer is mostly deadly. But what if it could be cured by taking a pill?

Same for AIDS. If we could cure AIDS, could we finally fuck around senselessly?

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno... I'd think the whole hundreds of races that are all apparently genetically compatible would really complicate the whole STD thing.

13. T'Girl

Kind of the point I was making, if AIDS can be cured with an injection then AIDS really is no longer "dangerous."

Boxing wouldn't be dangerous, just painful at times.

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Count me in as a Twisted enthusiast.

Muse is actually one of my favorite episodes. Much of the episode seems to be an allegory for everything that was wrong with Voyager. It was like the writers were expressing their frustration with what was going on behind the scenes at UPN.

---

What makes The Fight so awful is that it's so boring you don't really pay attention, but so confusing that you have to. After it's over you feel like you've spent an hour doing nothing.

15. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember reading the review for The Fight in TV Zone so came to watching it forewarned. I had to agree with the poor review. Then season 6 happened with endless dross like Fair Haven, Spirit Folk, Virtuoso and Tsunkatse which made The Fight seem like Grade A viewing...

16. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked the Fair Haven episodes. Espeically Spirit Folk. When the Doctor is all like you can't hypnotize me, and then 2 seconds later he's completely hypnotized...that's funny!

And Virtuoso, well I just love any time Picardo sings.