Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

If they got the canisters in 2011, the Doctor Who Restoration Team would have to be going 24/7/365 to have any of them cleaned up and video-ready by this November, and that's on top of all the other existing episodes they've been working on up to this point. Of those episodes, if I were in their shoes, I'd be giving Marco Polo and Power of the Daleks priority to be restored and released first (Evil of the Daleks too IF there was enough time/room to work on it).

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I've never seen the African Engineer being reported in the Rumor, only BBS posters like the 3 or 4 in this thread I've noticed mention him, are there any details other than African Engineer?

Is he an Engineer that got them in Africa, or is he of African descent, and was on another Continent entirely when he obtained them? (Is that the African Continent or South Africa the Country) Or maybe, Somali Pirates hijacked the boat?

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

You might want to take another look at the original Bleeding Cool article then:
    I don't think any other details than that have been mentioned about this ridiculous part of the whole ridiculous situation.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I've seen small snippets about this over at GallifreyBase but I'm not entirely clear what this is about. Can elaborate? Also, what do you mean by "minder?"

5. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

From what I understand, she posted something on her website about having recorded commentaries for Power and Moonbase, shortly before the latter was announced for DVD.

6. Sindatur

Thanks Brendan Moody, I missed or forgot that part

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/7928

Reading through this again it does put things in a very interesting light...

I personally think this was a bit iffy and never believed it, but in light of Ian Levine's comments...

8. Turbo

Oh, wow, I missed that! I saw the stuff about Moonbase and I guess I put the two together in my head. My bad.

9. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Candlelight

It does place the BBC in an awkward position; if something has been found - and I'm still keeping one eye on the door just in case - something of this magnitude is clearly meant for the Anniversary in November.

Shutting people up or down now in June, a good five months before the anniversary, is gonna make things hard to keep quiet if something truly is coming.

Tomorrow when Ian wakes up should make for an interesting day...

It depends though, a secret DVD release of one of these stories would still have to be available publicly for clearance purposes - so they would have to announce it anyway ahead of time.

11. Turbo

^ The Moonbase, perhaps? We've only seen stills of the animation, not clips. And it's still possible that they could get another serial cleared for late November/early December. The Tenth Planet still hasn't been officially announced for release here in the States, so we don't have a firm release date on that one yet.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They would never get a DVD in the shops secretly, because there's no way that retailers wouldn't leak the information that there's (to pick one) "Evil of the Daleks" going on the shelves on such-and-such a date. Long before you reached that point, 2|Entertain would have to produce sales sheets for the buyers at the stores to use so they would know what they're buying and stocking. No retailer is going to stock something blind, especially if they're not even told what it is. In short, way too many people would know, and you couldn't NDA the buyers in every retail establishment in Britain.

About the best the BBC could do would be to announce, a month out, that in a month's time "Evil" will go on sale in a 2-disc set and, that same day, send it for clearance. That's the absolutely best they could do.

13. Candlelight

For those of you playing at home, Zambia did not buy the following missing stories:

Mission to the Unknown
    The Daleks Master Plan
    The Tenth Planet
    The Power of the Daleks
    The Evil of the Daleks
    Fury from the Deep
    The Wheel in Space
    The Invasion

14. Candlelight

That answers my question - they would likely do an announcement in October then. :)

15. Candlelight

Just a comment from Paul V from last year:

Does he stick to his guns or be ordered to stay silent for months by those above him...

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

But why keep it secret? Why not build up the hype about an upcoming realease? or at least tell the public they retrieved the episodes but needed to see if they can be restored? It would build momentum. This cloak and dagger shit will cause bad PR. Jeesh, I thought the BBC was bad about announcing the premier dates of new episodes, are they run by M6? LOL

Still, this story is more interesting than a Doctor Who episode. LOL

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Even just confirming that the missing episodes have been found and are on their way - doesn't even have to be this year - will be more than enough for most Whovians. And while they may not be able to pull a DVD together by November, IF they have one whole serial restored and ready to go, they can air it. The perfect one-two-three knockout for Saturday, November 23'rd on BBC1/BBC America: Adventures in Time And Space, the restored missing serial (take your pick which one), 50'th Anniversary "Ten(nant) returns" special. And, if they've kept it quiet until then, "The Name of the (Twelfth) Doctor" is announced. BOOM.

18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

A guy named Phillip Morris did indeed bring 3 tons of old films to Liverpool in Sept-Oct. 2011. Whether that is *the* Phillip Morris and whether those films contain 90 missing DW episodes is TBD.

Mr Awe

19. Candlelight

The only reason I can see is there is still an issue with 'negotiations'.

Or someone who didn't realise this would get "out of hand" slapped an embargo on it, and that still stands.

20. Sindatur

Moffat did say, what was being discussed as "all we get for the Anniversary" was BS, that there was more. That could very well be a recovered/restored Serial

ETA: The Anniversary is seeming further and further away :( :brickwall:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013