Smallville 8x09 "Abyss" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Grade "Abyss"

1. SUPER

32.0%
  2. Above Average

40.0%
  3. Average

8.0%
  4. Below Average

8.0%
  5. BIZARRO

12.0%
  1. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Someone indirectly brought up and excellent point. You KNOW Chloe has backup files and top secret Clark info stored, probably in a number of places.

Tick ... tock ...

And where's Shelby? Hey! There's your spinoff! :D

--Ted

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Coming next Fall to the CW!

Pupsville! The story of Superpup's development from simple mild-mannered farm dog to the defender of all dogmanity!

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that you mention it, with all this talk of American cars and product placement, Clark should be driving one of these:

[​IMG]

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why hasn't that family been done in for insurance fraud?

I've seen half a dozen puck ups destroyed, a tractor, and the farm and the barn have both been destroyed numerous times, to one degree or another.

Really, if his secret was revealed none of the Kents would be able to collect on any meteor related payouts., and they'd probably become liable in a million or so civil suits for distress and destruction of private property.

5. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

BTW, did you ever see The Adventures of Superpup ? It what the producers of The Adventures of Superman tried to substitute after George Reeves died. It was practically the same script, but all the short actors had on these horrible dog heads, and the characters' names were puns, using dog names and terms. I think it's on one of the AOS DVD sets.

Just howlariously bad!

--Ted

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Heard of it? I've SEEN it! (Well, all of it I could stand.)

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It was okay. I am not sure how to react by the ret-con. I guess it depends on what they do with it. My big question (which has already been asked) is how this affects Chloe's memories of stuff she did when knowing Clark's secret.

"Hey, Chloe! Remember that time that Clark was going bad and you used Kryptonite to stop him?"
    "Well, I remember the Clark-Bad part, but..."
    "What about the time you helped Clark escape the Phantom Zone with Oliver right next to you?"
    "Hmm...well, I remember shooting lightening out of my hands, but..."

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I think that her memories are going to have been rewritten with new information supporting a nonsuper clark perspective. And, for all we know, maybe the Fortress somehow hacked Chloe's computer and erased the Clark Database?

9. Guy Gardener

enough of her memory would have to have been rebuilt by fictions created by Jor-El... You'd have to wonder if it was only the Clark stuff which he touched up if he did struggle to maintain continuity after pulling out tonnes of raw data that there would be months and months of life in her mind that never really happened... That for all intents and purposes she isn't Chloe any more at all all but Jor-El pretending to be Chloe?

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I think that Jor-El isn't in her mind, but I do think that he's rewritten so much of her history that it would be possible she was another person.

11. Guy Gardener

Definitely another person.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe we'll get lucky and this will further push Clark toward his destiny.

13. Guy Gardener

Do you know the destiny of Superboy Prime?

The secret inspiration of the 30th centuries Legion of Super villains?

He melted half the extended ranks of the Teen Titans with a single strafe of heat vision and murdered in a fair fight about 80 Green Lanterns. He's a deush.

Plenty of Supermen go bad.

There was a delightful "what if" story written a couple years back by Mark Millar called "Red Son" about what would have happened if Clark's rocket ship had made earthfall in communist Russia during the 1930s. Sure he wasn't evil, but believing that Joseph Stalin was a good man is not a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Son

Right now, I'm expecting this Clark to go bad.

The final episode is Clark taking over the world. Everyone capitulates. Jor-El degrees that he is proud of his son, and then Chloe opens a portal to a parallel Earth where from a more recognizable Superman steps through to save the day.

14. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Is it on one of the sets? That's cool - I only have volume 1, but this might actually tempt me into buying the other sets - I've always had a perverse curiosity over Superpup (and The Adventures of Superboy as well).

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont recall the name of it, but there is a recent animated series about a dog with superpower from Krypton (including characters like Bat Hound)

I guess we should be glad that Shelby wasn't actually from Krypton, just a dog that was given abilities in a LuthorCorp experiment. Still its not like we didnt have two Supergirls, one fake one real.

16. Guy Gardener

The show was Called Krypto. The dog was from Krypton, and Superman was in the pilot, and Krypto's master, a small boy had some sort of telepathic link that they could talk, and Streaky the Wonder cat (Supergirls cat in the comics.)was in a couple episodes but I don't think that she was from Krypton...

The series was targeting preeschoolers.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

wasnt very good IMO

18. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

To be more precise, the toon is called "Krypto the Superdog". And yeah, it's aimed at the anklebiter bunch.

19. Guy Gardener

Compared to Dexter, the big red dog, or Blues clues, it still wasn't very good.

I have nieces and nephews.

When my kid was growing up it was all Pengu and Barney.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

are you sure you dont mean Clifford the Big Red Dog, as unless they seriously retooled Dexter in the 2nd series, the dog isnt called Dexter