Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Maurice, May 2, 2014.

?

Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,

Poll closed Oct 29, 2014.
  1. Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever.

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Excellent

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Good

15 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Average

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Fair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Continues is certainly more polished (but it has the advantage for over a decade of technology and a lot more resources). In my opinion, Exeter still has the better script though. :)

Which is not to say Continues is badly written. It's not (again, in my opinion). I just like Exeter more. :)

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think we're all flattered that people today compare TTI to anything current, given the shoot was 10 years ago. The nearest thing quality-wise at that time was the New Voyages episode "In Harm's Way". STC and other higher end modern productions have access to much better cameras than Exeter did at the time (HD was too expensive in 2004), so that fact that the photography holds up at all is a testimony to the crew.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! That was ten years ago? :wtf: I had no idea! Amazing, and definitely a testament to quality!

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, ten years passes way too fast! I love Exeter because they chose to tell new stories with new people in an established universe.

5. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OK guys, maybe I was dreaming this, but...

Wasn't there a clip/teaser/cameo/whatever of the ST:NV (as it was then) guys saluting the launch of the re-crewed Exeter?

I searched both sites and YouTube, but couldn't find anything remotely like that. Anyone else remember that? Or do I check myself into the Tantalus Colony?

Vf

6. Maurice

Not that I ever saw.

7. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like it's a trip to Dr. Adams' treatment room for you, Valley Forge! :lol:

8. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that was Starship Farragut's first episode.

9. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You are correct sir! Its in there towards the end.

Phew, thought I was one short of a full brood of tribbles.

Looking over Farragut. I kinda liked it...the different set of animated episodes is kinda cool.

Seems like every different production brings something new to the table. NV/P2 seems to be "serious Trek". Exeter seemed to be "1960s Trek made to 2000s standards", and Farragut, from what I've seen, is "heck, lets just have fun with it Trek".

Well done to all. Thanks for the point out Cutest.

Vf

10. Maurice

NOW CLOSED CAPTIONED IN THREE LANGUAGES

Thanks to Nicolás Dinapoli Fariña and Sergio G. Molina, the "The Tressaurian Intersection" is now closed captioned in English, Spanish and Portuguese. Turn on the CC button on YouTube to view with them.

Nicolás is working on Spanish for Latin America to follow.

11. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

I read on Wikipedia that there will be a third episode of Starship Exeter, but in audio form? Is that the direction of the series, if the series continues?

12. Maurice

While I worked on TTI and wrote the 2004 "Atlantis Invaders" script, I have no involvement in this announced project. You'd have to ask Joshua Johnson.

13. Maurice

GERMAN subtitles are now added to the YouTube feed. Thank you to Anders Heisser, Michael Kuhn and Stephan Mittelstraß!!

14. Maurice

>>>>> An audio review of TTI <<<<<

The main "review" starts about 15:10 in (I'm trying to link to that spot but it keeps jumping back a bit). You can jump back to the beginning but they talk about a lot of other stuff and take a while to get to the episode (and they get it sooo wrong early on about the history of the production, so ignore that part). But the rest is pretty good.

15. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was talk about a making of documentary for TTI, I guess similar to the one for Savage Empire...any news on that?

16. Maurice

It's made. Joel Sarchet did it. Jimm Johnson is talking to him about getting it buttoned up and out the door.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, I certainly appreciated their remarks about the writing - not to mention their conviction that the Exeter was a practical model. :)

18. Maurice

Fooled 'em!

I appreciated that they noted that the editing got better in the latter part of the show, as that's the thing I worked hardest at.

I laughed at the exchange in reference to why Doc never calls B'fuselek by name:

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I liked the "Welsh" thing too. :lol:

I also liked that they picked up on the attempt to evoke "Balance Of Terror" at the end...and I think David Weiberg's miniatures fool more people than any other effects in the show.

20. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

As someone who followed the early progress of TTI on the old EXETER website -- and subsequently gave up on ever seeing it completed -- I was shocked to discover that, not only had it finally been released, but had been up on YT for over a year without my realizing it! Boy do I feel dumb!

In a word: superb. Maurice, I've been reading your thread on the BTS struggles with Act 4, and all I can say is that your work paid off in spades. Act 4 is thrill-packed in all the best ways, and had me on the literal edge of my seat. Great work. This definitely ranks as one of the all-time great TREK fan films.

However, I was a bit bummed that my name wasn't listed in the donor credits. It's been years now, obviously, but I'm pretty positive that, around the time of Act 2 being released, I kicked in some money on the old donation page. I don't really care about the credit, but I was hoping to get one of those DVDs with the making-of feature, to go along with my "Savage Empire" DVD. Oh well.

But anyway: everyone involved with "The Tressaurian Intersection" has MUCH to be proud of. A really fun, fantastic episode.