What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Me too - can't wait to see what's coming next!

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The Silkworm, by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling). Disappointing. Not bad, just not as good as the first volume in the series. This one is imaginative and original, as one would expect from Rowling, and the protagonist is appealing. But it's very gruesome and longer than necessary. It was good enough that I didn't want to miss anything, so I didn't just skim, as I sometimes do when I get bored with a mystery. But I kept waiting for it to be over!

3. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Rereading Flowers For Algernon by Daniel keyes

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Just starting Echo, by Jack McDevitt, bought it couple of weeks ago.

I really like the universe he's built and am looking forward to this story.

:)

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am about 3/4 through listening to Unintended Consequences and I think it is really good story so far. Thanks for recommending it. I am not that keen on the narrator (Tanya Eby).

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I just finished Pale Rider; Pale Horse for a grad class I'm taking and it was quite good. I'm also reading The Fever by Megan Abbott and that's quite good, too.

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a great read! Definitely one of his best.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and I started reading the Dresden Files series.

9. Miss Chicken

Continuing with my desire to read/listen to at least a dozen classic sci-fi books this year I have began on Way Station by Clifford D Simak, narrated by Eric Michael Summerer.

I wouldn't mind suggestions for other good classic sci-fi. I tend to like sci-fi set on Earth or else dealing with the explorations of strange planets. I don't like the space battle sort of sci-fi. I don't need any suggestions of novels by Philip K Dick, Philip Jose Farmer, John Wyndham, Isaac Asimov or HG Wells as I have read those authors heavily in the past.

10. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

I'm about halfway through Book 4 of A Song of Ice and Fire.

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Playboy.

12. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Making my way through Humphrey Carpenter's biography of J.R.R. Tolkien.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I love Jack McDevitt, and I love both the Alex Benedict and Priscilla Hutchins series. He can't churn 'em out fast enough for me. :D

How about Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke? That's set on Earth, and you also get some strange planet stuff toward the end. Rendezvous With Rama by Clarke involves the exploration of a strange artificial world. Friday by Robert Heinlein is set on Earth, but it's a future Earth where society has changed rather dramatically. Job by Heinlein is set on Earth, but involves bouncing around to alternate Earths. William Gibson's novels (e.g. Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)) are all set on Earth in a protoypical near-future Cyberpunk world. The above-mentioned Jack McDevitt's books often involve explorations on strange worlds, especially the Priscilla Hutchins novels.

14. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I'm glad you like it; and even happier you told me you tried it...:lol:

15. Miss Chicken

Thanks for the suggestions. I have written them all down but some aren't available on Audible. Rendezvous with Rama was already on my wishlist and it will probably be my next sci-fi read.

I have added Neuromancer to my wist list. Except for Stranger in a Strange Land I haven't enjoyed Heinlein all that much but I haven't read the two you suggested. I have added The Engine of God by McDevitt to my Audible wishlist.

Childhood's End isn't on Audible which surprised me. I might try it as a Kindle book later on.

16. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Hexed by Kevin Hearne. book 2 in the Iron Druid chronicles

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Snow. Awkward, for a modern mind, but more nuanced than I expected, and it made a very good use of Christian allusions.

18. mari

mari Captain Captain

I finished An Astronaut's Guide to Life last week, and now I'm working on Only Superhuman.

I was hanging out/selling jam with my best friend over the weekend, and she is now into the Wool sequel Sand, which she insists I read. So that's definitely going into the queue. She's usually more of a fantasy/dragons person, where I'm more hard SF, but the dystopian stuff is where we overlap.

19. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Inspired by his recent passing (about three weeks ago), or is that just a coincidence?

20. Miss Chicken

I am listening to Big Fish by Daniel Wallace, narrated by Tom Stechschulte. I love the movie but it has taken me years to get around to the book.