The Admirals character makes no sense whatsoever

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by James T Kirk, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Um, no. You fixed nothing for me. :thumbdown:

Don't rewrite and change my posts please. If you want to discuss something with me, then quote what I actually wrote and we'll go from there.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, she broke the Temporal Prime Directive, and was warned against doing so, but, chose to do it anyways (though, the Reset button was pushed)

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yep. I think it's just Komack and Westervliet.

It's a joke. Relax.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh, I was thinking of Nemesis Janeway and completely forgot about Endgame Janeway. I feel ashamed. :( Where should I turn in my comm-badge?

5. C.E. Evans

No, I don't find rewriting other posters' quotes remotely funny nor cute. I'm also not the only one that feels that way.

6. M'Sharak

If he were changing your post in an attempt to misrepresent what you were saying, then that would be a potential problem. If it's done as a friendly joke, he calls attention to it himself at the time, and it's a reference everyone here will be very likely to understand, then really there's no harm done. Even if it failed to amuse, I'm not sure it needed that response.

7. C.E. Evans

Oh, it did. It's just making the situation clear. I really don't think changing other posters' quotes should be allowed, even if the person who did so thought they were being amusing.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, yeah. Although while Nechayev wasn't really a villain, she was a constant thorn in Picard's side. Though I suppose she did mellow out towards her last appearance.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I liked Nechayev when she wasn't mellow. :devil:

10. Cyke101

I feel like you need to take a look at your own signature. With that said, it was a lighthearted joke that pokes fun not at you, but at one of TOS's more legendary nits -- Kirk's middle initial. Heck, if he posted a picture of a Tribble to stand for the T. in James T. Kirk, that, too, would be cute and amusing.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

He wasn't a psychopath per se. The events of the first film pushed him over the edge and he thought it was a reasonable response. Remember:

ONE ship destroyed the planet Vulcan and was minutes away from doing the same to Earth in the 2009 film.

(NOTHING like this ever occurred in the prime timeline during this era. The closet incident was in "The Doomsday Machine" -- but it never made it to the Federation core worlds, and once Kirk defeated it, a usable method to destroy any future ones wandering around was available.)

Marcus was indeed misguided; but he was responding to a situation that wiped out one founding world and came very close to wiping out Earth.

12. C.E. Evans

No, because I consider this one of the rudest things you can do to another poster on a message board. Just because someone else thinks it's funny doesn't mean that I do, and that's all I'm saying.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I just have to ask. Why do you think it's rude? It's not like other readers don't know that's not what you originally said. Your original post is still there for posterity.

Heck, the "fixed that for ya!" joke is almost a mainstay of internet forums. I don't see the harm when used unmaliciously.

14. C.E. Evans

It's nothing short of totally changing what someone said and superimposing their own words over it. And if I don't like that being done with what I said, I'll let people know I don't appreciate it.

Sooo, is there anyone else who wants to ask me about my views on message board behavior or is the original thread topic now dead?
    :confused:

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, when someone truncates your post to deliberately take it out of context (though, Sometimes it's an accident that it is taken out of context, when a poster merely meant to be succinct and only quoted the pertinent part) or changes it to deliberately try to take it out of context (I've never seen it, but, I'm sure it's happened), that's totally wrong and reason to be outraged.

But, the "I fixed it for you" joke or making a joke when some mis-spells something making their post say something else (The other day I spelled Jem, when I was referring to the character from The Empath, and someone made a joke about Jem being truly outrageous, and I laughed my head off) to me, it's all part of the fun of socializing on the internet.

So, for the record, anyone who wants to make a mis-spelling joke at my expense or an "I fixed it for you" joke, feel free, it makes me feel appreciated and part of the crowd :devil:

16. Cyke101

I'll see your internet trend and raise you another: Challenge Accepted!

I believe that Star Trek is too good-natured to have a stick in the mud. even Spock and Seven can crack the occasional joke (and it's usually funny).

Ironically though, I noticed C.E. omitted this part when quoting Sojourner:
    George Takei has newfound popularity because he (or his staff, whatever) has been great at staying on top of internet and forum trends on Facebook, and deservedly so. I'll leave it at that as I don't want things to get personal, but geeze C.E., lighten up and recognize that people are trying to laugh with, not at. Sulu, one of the more stoic men in all of Trek, can do forum humor, and if he can do it, anyone can. Forum humor is meant to make forums more enjoyable and less combative.

17. C.E. Evans

I guess the original thread topic is dead after all.

Cyke101, please don't tell me how to feel. And I also didn't omit anything since I said earlier that I didn't care if others thought it was funny. If I don't like something or don't find it funny, I'm not going to just laugh it off, especially when it does concern me. You may be able to accept people rewriting your posts to make you say something different than you originally did, but I don't have to. And that's really all there is to it.

And really, any further discussion on this subject by you (or anyone else) is just continuing to derail this thread and make it just about what I don't like about message board behavior.

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I thought it was funny/cute. It didn't seem to be done in malice, simply in jest. No harm was meant, I'm sure.

Anybody know what the R. stood for? Was it for a name, or was it just an R.?

R.
    Huh! Yeah!
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothin'!

19. M'Sharak

Riberius.

20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Sounds like Burger King's answer to the 'McRib'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.