Could Vilix'pran be Betelgeusian?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The mysterious (and very fertile) Lieutenant Vilix'pran is a character that has always intregued me. Going by what was said about him its a shame we never got to see the winged species.

That has just got me thinking; could he be Betelgeusian? Jake said about babysitting his young, needing to watch that their wings didn't get tangled. Going by the background notes on TMP the Betelgeusians had evolved from avians, and seeing as how we never saw one clearly there's no way to know if they still retain their wings or not.

Thoughts?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Not enough information to know either way.

--Sran

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There is one Betelgeusian seen full-length in the TMP rec-room briefing scene -- he's the third guy from the right on the balcony, in a brown uniform.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=581

He's clearly humanoid in shape, with no wings.

There's also a pretty good shot of the Betelgeusian science officer (whom I named Hrrii'ush Uuvu'it in my novels) here at Memory Alpha.

Vilix'pran was pretty much meant to be nonhumanoid, which suggests not just a human shape with wings stuck on, but something more radically different in body shape. That was the point of the running gag: since he was never seen, he could be as bizarrely nonhumanoid as the writers' imaginations could make him.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it would be like Morn talking. If we actually saw the guy it'd ruin the novelty of it.

5. Christopher

^And Captain Boday's see-through skull. The DS9 producers loved their "off-camera" running gags.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

There's a guy with a blue and purple face among the crew in TMP. I wonder what species he is.

--Sran

7. Bry_Sinclair

It's one of the tings that helped make the series great :bolian:

8. Captain Clark Terrell

I always laughed whenever Dax and Kira would argue about Boday. Dax didn't care what anyone looked like, and Kira got hung up on every irregularity that someone had. Then there was Dr. Tregtoc...

--Sran

9. Bry_Sinclair

Not seeing him. I do spot blue Andorians and purple Saurians, but not seeing any blue/purple crewmembers.

TMP was really good at giving us some weird and wonderful species, such a shame we didn't get to see more of them.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

You can see him in one of the close-up shots where the first few rows are isolated. He'd be towards the top of the picture.

--Sran

11. Christopher

12. Captain Clark Terrell

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

There's a full photo of the Betelgeusian Ambassador in the original soundtrack LP for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. The innersleeve featured 12 photos of "new" aliens posed in- costume.

[​IMG]

Harry

14. Christopher

You know, I thought this thread seemed familiar. Bry Sinclair, you started another thread asking this exact same question just 14 months ago, and I gave you the same answer then. And we also got around to mentioning Morn, Captain Boday, and Dr. Trag'tok.

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless their wings are some sort of vestigial thing that go away as they mature?

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

When I first saw this thread, I thought you meant Betelgeuse from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :lol:

17. Christopher

Well, of course they're both in reference to the real star Betelgeuse, aka Alpha Orionis (as is the name of the title character in the movie Beetlejuice, which in-story is actually spelled Betelgeuse).

Although Betelgeuse is a red supergiant, a star that couldn't possibly support life, so in my novel Ex Machina I cribbed from Adams and asserted that the TMP Betelgeusians are actually from "a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse." ;)

18. Bry_Sinclair

Oh for the love of....:eek:

If I had a brain at times I would be dangerous!

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good memory to be able to remember a thread 14 months ago. I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. :p

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Fascinating, though it looks like there were no Romulans involved.

--Sran