Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I do like that it's an old school depiction of Starlord. It gives the idea that it'll draw from other versions of GotG and won't just be aping the movie. Although it's fair to say, regardless of quality, I'm only checking it out after it appears on Netflix (if it does).

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With X-men TAS style story arcs and theme song by a rockband?(KISS, Aerosmith)?

a really shame.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 confirmed for July 28, 2017! Announced just now at Comic-Con.

ETA: Here's a link.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see my exact feelings about the announcement of the animated series are being echoed by other posters here. This would be great news if it wasn't handled by the crew that's doing the current crop of animated shows. Especially because, in my opinion, with each show added, the quality goes down. Ultimate Spider-Man was passable, Avengers is slightly passable, while Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is horrible.

That being said, the episode of Ultimate Spider-Man that introduced the Guardians was one of my favorites (As a New Yorker who went to school in Boston, "Spidah-Man" is my favorite USM episode).

However, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode with the Guardians ("Michael Korvac") was great, partly because Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote it. The only thing the USM episode had over this was the casting of the late Michael Clarke Duncan as Groot.

In preparation for Guardians, I finally sat down to watch Super last night. Despite hearing good things about it, it became one of those movies you add to your Instant Queue and keep skipping over as you mutter to yourself, "I want to watch a movie, but not any of these."

Not that I had any doubts about Guardians, but after seeing Super, and how much James Gunn showed he understands the genre, I am even more excited to see it!

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Ultimate Spider-Man, Agents of SMASH, and Avengers Assemble are good enough for what they are.

I wasn't ever one who wept for how wonderful SSM or EMH was so maybe that's why I feel that way.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point, animated superhero cartoons have proven they can be much more than what Marvel is giving us with USM, AA and HAoS. Everything from DC stuff like Batman: TAS and Justice League to EMH and Wolverine and the X-Men were examples of superheroes done right, and in a way everyone can enjoy. The current Marvel cartoons are dumbed down even for their intended audience, and the writing is just awful. The shows will be forgotten soon after they're eventually cancelled, just like the horrible Avengers cartoon with the armored suits for everyone and the MTV CG Spider-Man show. There was a good run of marvel cartoons for awhile, but Marvel taking more control just killed their whole animation line. Like I said before, they're as bad at animation as they are good at live action.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Grading thread is up.

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Don't forget Spider-Man Unlimited! Or, rather, do continue to forget it.

I think we need to retire the "Company X is better at Thing A, while Company Z is better at Thing B" argument. I've been guilty of using it before, but at this point, both Marvel and DC have put out great, good, okay, poor, and "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" products in both animated and live action forms. For every X-Men/X2/X-Men: First Class/X-Men Days of Future Past there's been an X-Men: The Last Stand. For every Batman Begins/The Dark Knight there's been a Batman and Robin. And this is just scratching the surface, we could go on with all the good and bad each company has done in terms of TV and movies.

The "Marvel does better at live action than animation" argument should have gone out the window in the 90's with the X-Men and Spider-Man animated shows, and been given a proper burial recently with The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

At this point, I'm less disappointed that Jeph Loeb is behind the GotG cartoon than I am that Marvel feels all the animated shows should have the same feel. I was not sold on Teen Titans when it first premiered, partly because I couldn't understand why DC was going with a "Cutsy Japanse-like" feel for the show versus the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini-verse feel of Batman/Superman/Justice League. I came to love Teen Titans for its uniqueness and I was sad to see it end, again, because it was so different than Justice League Unlimited (which I loved, too).

When all the shows have the same feel, they lose their uniqueness. Granted, the shows are different enough, but their overall feel, right down to how they start the show/handle the titles makes them less unique and therefore less entertaining. Marvel's been especially problematic with this down to re-dubbing the voice of Spider-Man in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes to replace Spectacular Spider-Man's Josh Keaton with Ultimate Spider-Man's Drake Bell.

Now, of course, you could argue that I'm not complaining that the style set-forth in Batman the Animated Series, along with the voice actors were used in Superman the Animated Series and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. And, I'd agree with you that I have a bias, because I loved those shows. I also did not bring up the fact that the 90's Spider-Man/X-Men cartoons had similarities, as well. I will totally admit that this is an area where I am prejudiced, but it seems I am not alone in loving those shows and not enjoying the newer shows.

"But, shivkala, don't you get it, those shows aren't for you!" is the inevitable argument. And, my sons (10 and 6) seem to support that, as they enjoy the shows.

So, perhaps the greatest sin of all of this is the fact that it's causing my to prejudge the cartoon at its inception.

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good point about kids. My own don't say SSM is better than USM - they enjoy both shows. Imagine that!

12. Chris3123

After reading this I checked Rotten Tomatoes: It's currently at 94%! :techman: (59 fresh, 4 rotten).

While this isn't the final score (plenty more reviews will be coming in), it's gives a general idea of what the final consensus might be. Here are the RT scores for the previous MCU movies, for comparison:

Iron Man - 93%
    The Incredible Hulk - 67%
    Iron Man 2 - 73%
    Thor - 77%
    Captain America: TFA - 79%
    The Avengers - 92%
    Iron Man 3 - 78%
    Thor: TDW - 65%
    Captain America: TWS - 89%

GotG could very well end up as the highest-scored MCU film on RT, as long as there aren't too many negative reviews.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's certainly very encouraging. Although the initial score tends to drop a touch as time goes on.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

FSM will still hate it.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

17. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I take it you've only seen the movie. The original Steve Gerber book is one of the finest comics ever put to print. This could be fantastic.

18. Chris3123

Yep, it's currently down to 89%.

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Indeed, but what are the chances that it will be done in Gerberesque style?