Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. AverageWriter

AverageWriter Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would say that the topic is debating as to whether Ezri counts as the absolute worst DS9 character, is it not? I was merely positing why Ezri is, as a character, less deserving of that title than Worf might be.

Perhaps I was a bit verbose in my explanation, but I wouldn't want to be accused of not having a foundation for the basis of my opinion. :)

2. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

^ You're fine, Ezri and Worf are like peas and carrots. In a discussion about Ezri's character, Worf has to be a part of it.

3. AverageWriter

Round and squishy and good in soup?

4. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Not the words I would choose, but I think that's an acceptable way to describe them.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Agreed. I couldn't stand him on TNG, and especially not on DS9 after he and Jadzia got together to make the "Klingon/Trill Super-Duper Couple." It's a shame Terry Farrell didn't quit/get fired (not sure which) several seasons earlier. I liked Ezri.

6. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

If you're really anti-Worf, look up 'Worf gets denied' on YouTube. I'm not big on posting videos on forums, but it's pretty easy to find. I like Worf and thought it was hilarious when I first watched it.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

There's no need to concede to majority opinion, but I am going to point out if you make specific arguments I consider flawed, like the criticism of the Klingons in Children of Time. ;)

I agree Worf often acts selfishly, and I agree he takes his emotions out on other people for no good reason, but I don't consider his dislike of Quark 'Racist'. Quark is a person who interferes with order and lawfulness, and that is why he dislikes him. I would have liked it if he faced more of the consequences in cases where he went around breaking things. But I don't fault him for desiring to control his own environment and associate more with people who value order the way he does.

8. AverageWriter

And that is of course your right, however I must point out that I have presented a number of pieces of direct evidence as to Worf's racism beyond the simple fact that he kept irritatingly referring to Quark as "That Ferengi" long past the point of when as a station commander he should/would have known his name-

Let me ask you this question, just as a matter of conjecture- if someone were to walk up to you and say this-
    "The idea of a 'xxxxx' being in love with a 'yyyyy' is offensive", replacing of course the "xxxx" and "yyyy" with almost any race or (in ST terms, species)...

Would that not come across to you as something racist?

Worf says it -to Quark's FACE- and nobody bats an eye, because he's Worf.

9. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't mind. :p

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs[/yt]

10. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

To me Worf became a rounded character on DS9, something he never was on TNG. DS9 gave him the opportunity to truly fall in love, experience command, meet a klingon that taught him what it meant to be a klingon in the truest sense (Martok). Worf got to loosen up, have fun and for me DS9 defines his character. In Ezri he had the opportunity to open up to someone who knew him deeply and could give him good counsel. I think DS9 would have been missing something with out both of these characters.

11. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Michael Dorn said it best. Something like...he had the most fun on TNG (clearly they enjoyed goofing off on-set), but he is most proud of his work on DS9 (a more serious set, but arguably the better series for character development).

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And then Berman and Co. snatched everything he accomplished on DS9 away from him.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Worf's "racism," which rarely sunk lower than being judgmental, isn't really a good measure of how good of a character he was. Dukat's racism far exceeded Worf's, extending into political and economic exploitation and prejudicial justice. However, Dukat is arguably a better character than Worf, and within the context of DS9 alone, probably more memorable. Indeed, the major narratives of DS9 hinge on Dukat. Of course, Dukat is no roll model, but DS9 is also not PBS morning television.

14. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Thanks for exacerbating my point dub. Love or hate Worf, if you can't watch that and laugh you have no business calling yourself a Trekkie. What about Ezri?

15. Enterpriserules

And you can see that when you watch the character side by side in both series.

I think Ezri, given one season, becomes a very rounded character and is honestly one of my favorites. When we talked about Jadzia on Literary Treks, we talked about how she is able to help those around her find themselves because of her many life times. Ezri is able to do that for Worf, as we have mentioned here and that is a big accomplishment for a character of only one season.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Any TNG character would have profited from being a regular on DS9. The writing for DS9 was FAR superior to the writing for TNG.

17. Enterpriserules

^ I completely agree. DS9 was about the characters first, always

18. AverageWriter

I think that's why DS9 is my favorite Trek, even when Worf was added. TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY and ENT had season chunks that were bad- DS9 had only individual episodes (mostly involving attempts at "funny" that fell flat), but was overall a really, really strong show.

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that true for every character, regular or not? Tom Riker became more than the man obsessed over career and lost love. Lwaxana Troi, when she exposed herself in order to give Odo a place to regenerate, revealed her generosity. Gowron's weaknesses and petty jealousies were exposed. The only characters that didn't work better were Q and Vash, but their episode tried to replicate TNG.

20. AverageWriter

In all honesty, Bad Thoughts?

Q worked because he was an impish force of chaos set up right next to the immovable, intractable straight-faced Picard. It just didn't feel right when taken out of that setting. Sisko isn't anyone's straight-man.