The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by surak-toc, May 20, 2013.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i think it would be a good idea, a new enterprise to set off on a new and all important mission to a new part of the galaxy

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It really should be the premise of the next Trek series, IMO. Keep it simple, don't bog it down with some storyline from a previous series, and allow it to strike a balance between action, drama, interpersonal relationships, and the occasional bug-eyed monster. Being able to occasionally lighten up and show that life can be good (if not sometimes funny) now and then wouldn't hurt either.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    1701-J is a bit far in the future, though. The next series should be concurrent with the new movies, in my opinion. Either that, or in TNG's time frame, or STO.

4. C.E. Evans

I think a new Trek series should be in the 25th-Century (circa the 2460s) and be as different from TNG as it was to TOS. The 24th-Century is just played out and the Abramsverse should continue as a movies-only thing, IMO...

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    You mean, going back to the previous timeline ? Count me out.

6. surak-toc

don't see why not, but a good few centuries in the future though....

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Same here. What's wrong with just Captain Kirk, Mister Spock, and the Enterprise crew exploring new worlds? I want Star Trek, not another crappy spinoff. We've had enough of those.

I'd like a new reboot unconnected with the JJ Abrams movies.

8. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

That is something I really don't want: a third reboot ...

9. surak-toc

maybe not a reboot as such, how about do the scrapped spin off assignment earth, but in JJ Abrams universe instead, with cameos from the movie cast too

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Instead of going back to revamp the franchise, I think they should have done a Starfleet Academy series set after voyagers return. It would have drawn in the younger sci-fi viewers giving them something to relate to and given the fan base familiar faces and story-arcs. One episode the 'Doctor' stops by to give a speech on Delta Quadrant medication, another you pass by Prof. Miles O'brian's engineering course or Dr. Crusher's medical lab (or give a returning cast member a main character role, why not). One of the main characters could be aiming for the CONN position to throw in space cg effects every now and then, another main charater's a Klingon transitioning to earth's rules. You can even have the occasional Romulan or Borg threat or do class away mission, reaching to further reaches of space using the new transwarp system. Aliens attack and they send out a distress signal and Worf in the defiant drops out of transwarp and kicks ass. I think it would have been a great idea.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  11. surak-toc

that sounds like a brilliant idea, would easily watch it, could see a good fanfic novel base from it, but i'd have a new starfleet base in some other quadrant though, to add a new background, have a new warp drive project and stuff...

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'd rather them keep it on earth but wasn't Starfleet destroyed in DS9's final season by the Breen? It could be a totally new set.

13. surak-toc

would have to be a totally up to date and brilliant set, would like a academy on vulcan or with the luna colony, i'd like to see newer ships for the group to travel on the odd time to too, will need new creatures and tech too, this idea is the best i have seen...

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Edited: I should have type checked that better.

I think seeing a young starfleet Klingon transitioning to Earth standards would be fun. He wouldn't be a bully per say, just very misunderstood.

That would be cool.

15. surak-toc

i'd still think the academy on earth would still exist, but say a select group of students get a once in a life time opportunity to work on the luna base academy, teleporting from base to the other, a great transition for the future, working on a new project that helps mankind, the obvious teaching staff of Dr Crusher, O'Brian and i think Worf would be good here, having a missunderstood klingon, would be a nice mentor

16. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Considering where Hollywood is headed, you'll probably get it.

I mean, with JJ gone for Star Wars, even if they squeeze out one more film, I see that being the end of the line for this continuity, after which they will probably think "We did fine, but there was too much collateral damage by trying to split the difference. We should just try a full reboot next time."

It would be kind of like the reboot of Spiderman and the pending reboot of Superman, without a long gap between. The audience has become accustomed to this sort of reboot cycle.

All it will take is finding a director/producer with enough of a strong critical reputation in Hollywood that will give people a sense that it will be worth their while to lather, rinse, and repeat, like when Chris Nolan finally teamed up with Zach Snider on Man of Steel after Superman was in development-hell for many years. Having Nolan on board automatically gave the effort credibility.

17. C.E. Evans

I agree. I believe it's not at all a question of if but when it happens (personally, I could see it happening with Star Trek XIV unless Abrams and the gang want to stick around for that).

18. surak-toc

i'd think having picard running the luna colony academy would be good also.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

He belongs on a bridge and only a bridge.

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The writers thought the same thing about Kirk. It's why he died on the bridge in Generations. ;)