Spoilers DTI: Forgotten History by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Rate Forgotten History.

1. Outstanding

58 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Above Average

41 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, just finished writing my review. This was definitely the Star Trek novel I've been anticipating the most since Watching the Clock came out. I really enjoy the DTI, I think it's a refreshing take on the whole Trek universe (or, multiverse I suppose).

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Very nice review! Thanks!

3. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

I recall it being shown on weekend mornings as late as the 1990s.

4. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

I got this from the bookstore called BARNES AND NOBLES

It cost about 8 dollars or so and I read all the way to chapter 3 so far. I didn't know that they could walk to the warp core on ENTERPRISE 1701 I always saw Commander Scott in those little tubes when he was ixing things. Sometimes you can see the ships engine in the background so it was sorta of confusing in my mind where exactly these people were when they were talking. (Delgado and Kirk and Scott.) So i made up a little room in my head. Because i didnt think you could go behind the screen. It wasn't safe or something. But anyway it said when Scott needed to fix the warp core direcetly it was easier to fix it being in the little tubes.(?) Okay!

that was the only part that confused me so far, I cant wait to read more but work time is soon!:guffaw:

5. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

They showed it during summer holidays a couple of times in that period as well, I recall. That's how I ended up getting ADF's Logs.

6. Christopher

I based my depiction of the engineering hull layout partly on what we saw of the engineering spaces in the animated series and partly on this schematic by Doug Drexler, a version of which appeared onscreen in ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly Part 2." There are more specifics in the acknowledgments at the end of the book.

7. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Yeah, awesome front cover. Really sloppy, unprofessional looking back cover though. I've don't think I've ever seen a back cover blurb written up as one long word with not a single space anywhere in the whole thing.

I wonder if there was a reason for this. Other than sloppy work and not enough proofing, of course.

I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

- Byron

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh? You exaggerate! There are no paragraph breaks, sure, but there are most definitely spaces between each word. I think it looks fine.

9. bfollowell

Therin, I DO NOT exagerate. Take a look at the image I've attached. Yes, there is a tiny bit of space between the words, but it is no more than the space between individual letters. This looks like one giant, long word. Maybe yours looks different but this is what I've got and there is no extra space between the words and it looks awful. Anyone else want to pipe in? Do you see more space between words? Do you think this looks good or professional? I really don't think it's just me.

- Byron

[​IMG]

10. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

That's not what the back cover of my copy looks like.

11. bfollowell

Weird. Maybe I've got an early misprint or something and it'll be worth more someday. Also, if you look on Amazon.com, books.google.com and even simonandschuster.com, they all show the same back cover, just like the one I have.

Oh well, at least you guys see what I'm talking about now.

- Byron

12. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm guessing misprint, my copy has spaces between words too. Keep it and ebay it later?

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

bfollowell also has no barcode. Just a white bar. Looks like an earlier sheet of cover proofs slid into the stack of uncut final covers.

14. Christopher

Yeah, that's a pretty bizarre mixup.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked and that is how it looks on the Browse Inside feature at the S&S website. So it apparently used the same source as Bfollowell's book.

16. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

The book is so full of literary goodness we don't even have room for spaces!

17. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

I voted above average but i might be biased because Watching the Clock was one of the best novels ive ever read. This was great just not as good as WTC.

Christopher just seems to have a nack for TOS ans TOS movie era. He writes the chatacters better than anyone IMO!

A request forChristopher. I would love to see a novel that explains how ENT went from a Titan like mulricultural ship to a shipmanned by young recruits!

18. Christopher

Well, I addressed the ship's change of mission profile in Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again. When Kirk became Academy commandant in 2278, he accepted the promotion to admiral with the proviso that the Enterprise would become his personal flagship under Spock's command, and would occasionally be used for special missions under Kirk's command. At other times it would serve as a research platform or Academy training vessel.

And in Orion's Hounds I touched on the reasons why Willard Decker's "great experiment" with crew diversity didn't really catch on in the long run, which was due largely to inertia and falling back into old habits.

19. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I noticed the end notes mention that there were several DTI in Strange New Worlds. Any chance of getting those in print again?

20. bfollowell

The ebooks are readily available wherever Trek ebooks are sold. You can buy used, less than new condition for as little a $0.01 + shipping and used, new for as little as $6.89 + shipping from Amazon.

- Byron