X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yes, we said the same thing, only your description was overly wordy. :p

3. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting article talking about this year's superhero overload and the falling box office of comic book films.

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/box-office-kryptonite/story/across-the-universe/

And it looks like First Class has now fallen out of the Top 10 this weekend. I guess final numbers will be out tomorrow late. I really don't understand the appeal of Transformers. It took me three times to figure out what was going on in the trailer, and that was 2 minutes. If the entire movie is like that, geez.

http://www.filmofilia.com/2011/07/03/weekend-box-office-july-2-4-2011/

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new Transformers movie is considerably better than the last two.

I despised the first two.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

-Hot girls

-Hot cars

-Lots of explosions

-Turn your brain off for 2 1/2 hours

6. KB24

^Nah, none of that is my style.

This is like that scene in Hot Tub Time Machine where the boy wants to facebook, text, or even phone the girl and she says 'Come and find me' and he says 'But that's too hard!' Is it too much effort to expect good film? The better the film the better the escape, right? If something is mindless, how can that be fun? Isn't that boring?

Although, I'm watching She-Ra right now, so that might cancel me out :)

7. Guy Gardener

Can you explain how she's He-Man's twin Sister from another planet yet?

Stoned out of their minds people wrote those toons.

Bay was just asleep.

8. KB24

Yeah eighties toons are totally preposterous if you think about the finite stuff, but they're all in good fun. And honestly, they explain how she's he's twin from another planet pretty clearly in the introductory cross over movie.

I don't like how Bay takes a good premise and dumbs it down for the hot cars girls and booms. I'm glad First Class didn't go that route the way Green Lantern looks all flash and no substance. I'm tired of flash without merit.

9. Guy Gardener

I was thinking about First Class during transformers when Kennedy showed up and then about some recent episodes of Doctor Who when Nixon turned up. The first half of the movie was about conspiracy theories and secrets and then there's just this moment of transition half way through where it (I think that Michael must have farmed out the first half of the movie) just turns to shit and no one does anything for any sensible reason to justify explosions and and that chippy running around half naked... Although it was a little sweet when Optimus Prime says "Kill them all." That's shit which bad guys say, but that Droid was well past his breaking point and needed to end it all.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The question I have is whether the writer of this piece is right about the studios view of Losers, Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim from last year. If he's right and that is a reason, or THE reason, the studios chose not to come to Comic-Con it shows the sheer sense of misplaced expectation on those properties.
    So then with these C-grade properties(not counting Watchmen) how could they overlook how RED did in October of 2010. I notice that isn't in the article. It should be if it's talking about Kick-Ass doing well relative to cost. Red certainly did. That would mean these C-grade properties were 2-2 then. Forgetting things like this irritates me. It's either bad journalism or biased journalism. Worse, did the studios think like this writer? If so their vision is askew.

As for X-Men:FC it's exit from the top 10 was expected. Was hoping it might hit $140m over the weekend but fell just a tad short.

11. Guy Gardener

The only reason Scott Pilgrim could fail, did fail, is if people suck.

The experience was nothing short of fanjoyous.

12. Admiral_Young

That's the risk that filmmakers make when adapting "cult" indy comics like "Kick-Ass" and "Scott Pilgrim". There's a reason why they're indy comics in the first place. They also had a large internet hype that didn't for whatever reason translate into the mainstream movie audience. People missed out on great films as far as I'm concerned. No different than people not going to see "Oscar" films.

13. KB24

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the Deadpool movie using the character as seen in XO:W or is it a new version of the character? I'm pretty sure I've heard the later, but I'm not sure.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched Scott Pilgrim last night and it was great. Maybe it was just too surreal for a mainstream audience but the characters were hilarious.

16. Admiral_Young

The leaked "Deadpool" script written by the "Zomblieland" writers did a great and hilarious job of acknowledging the Deadpool in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". I believe that the plans are to have the character be a new version, separate version from the one we saw.

It does not surprise me that execs are discussing a sequel/s prospect right now given that both Vaughn and Singer have now gone on record with their own ideas for where they would take us next. As I said though and still believe, I think we won't be getting an announcement on the future of the X-Men franchise until next year. I don't know why I think that but that's the feel I have on this situation right now. Maybe I'll be wrong and we'll get one sooner and those of us who dug this film can rejoice!

17. Admiral_Young

18. KB24

Silly Admiral, I posted that a page ago!

Although it there really was that much secret internal sequel buzz, wouldn't there be more people talking about it? I hope so!

Looks like First Class will only be showing near me for another week or so. Its dropping down to 4 or 2 airings in only a handful of theaters. What will the total tally be, do you think?

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Going to land between $145-150m domestic it looks like, imo.

20. Admiral_Young

I must have missed it. Sorry. Like I said I think we'll get some kind of actual news on a sequel next year and concrete "X4" news as well. Right now I think they're concentrating on "The Wolverine" which they should. It still has potential to be better than the utter mess that "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was.

Yeah the local theater here has only one late showing (9:55 pm) and I think is clearing it out next week.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011