Cars...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Thespeckledkiwi, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I don't know why a lot of people criticize this movie. I've watched it a few times on TV (they've been running it on one of the movie networks a lot) and it's very good storytelling and beautifully done. I know that the 'in your face' message is hard to take but to me it fits with the story and the characters. And there is a lot of symbolism in the movie and much more than what we see in the story. I know it doesn't have a lot of humor as well but it's so well done as a story and as a craft that's it's just a gorgeous movie all together.

2. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

It was on my Ten Best list that year. I love the movie. One of the few that year I went out and bought.

I thought "Our Town" should have won Best Song.

--Ted

3. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

It's not a bad movie, it's just not as great as we'd come to expect of Pixar. Then again pretty hard to follow The Incredibles.

I myself will probably always have a connection with Cars seeing as it was one of the two films I saw in theatres when I went to the US in 2006.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i think it's great and it shows an incredible attention to detail in places...

plus, i love several of the characters and it's got some great gags too...

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I absolutely love Cars and I'm not a big car person.

6. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Saw it last week again...
    Peetstop...

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Cars was a bit long for a kids movie, but it was very good.

JMHO

8. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

My kid LOVES this movie. He has seen it dozens of times and has all the toys. He's watching it right now. He loves the computer game too.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the film as well. Absolutely beautiful animation. The plot is a bit schmaltzy (there were, after all, *reasons* that the Interstate Highway System was built) but that can be overlooked.

And I loved all the cameos. :lol:

10. Thespeckledkiwi

I love the Incredibles but the problem is, is that you have to separate the mediums. Incredibles was tackling an entirely different topic than Cars. Incredibles is simply a great movie but I find Cars equally great because it is simply a lot different.

11. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is, when you become successful, it's harder to rank things.

Pixar movies, compared others, really rank between 9 and 10 (out of 10).

Well, what do you do with that? You start breaking it down:

And so on.

Eventually, people drop the "9." because it's easier. And thus we end up with some Pixar movies being called a "2" or "3" out of 10.

Well, on the Pixar scale, that's true. But we often forget that a Pixar "2" is a 9.2 out of 10 in the real world.

Anyway, the point is, when people complain about Pixar movies, they're comparing them to other Pixar movies. Out in the real world of film, they're all winners.

12. Thespeckledkiwi

Even in the medium, the Incredibles tackles family and is more of a science fiction movie than anything. Cars is for sports fan but also adolecents and growing up. Two entirely different movies.

13. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one and only flaw I found in Cars : In the end drive-in movie homage to other Pixar films, there was no 'The Incredibiles', of course featuring such characters as Mister Incredibile, Stretch Limo-Girl, Fordzone, and Syndrive.

14. captcalhoun

they also didn't do Finding Nemo...

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ was John Ratzenberger in Nemo or Incredibles? I think the joke was to parody all of the movies he was in.

16. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JR is in every Pixar movie. They consider him their good luck charm. In The Incredibles, he was The Underminer.

17. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Cars was brilliant.. I still haven't really grown tired of it, even though it's been on atleast once a week here at home. Kiddo loves it.

18. captcalhoun

JR voiced the shoal of fish that changes shape in Finding Nemo

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The plot is clunky compared with Pixar's standards, but the animation is beautiful. I like the scenery inspired by Zion National Park.

20. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I always kept the two separate, but my point is other people didn't.

I actually watched it again today and while it has charm and nice animation, and I love that it's one of those films that is just unappolagetically American, I think Temis pointed out the main flaw with it: the plot is clunky. There's just something to it that doesn't make it flow like other Pixar movies. But it has a nice message to it.

Gotta tell a story about it though. My sister was an au pair for a family last year and the two kids (boys aged 3 and 5) used to love watching it. But every time at the end when McQueen gives up the race to help The King over the line one last time the oldest of the boys always asked my sis why he did that, why he didn't just go over the line and win. And my sis explained it every time, and every time he still didn't get it. When I heard that my reaction was about this: :wtf: I think it's pretty damned obvious and also very sure that almost everyone gets it. Then again the family had some huge issues and my sis left shortly after since she couldn't stand trying to defend the mother in the family from the paranoid father.