Why did the UK theatrical release of First Contact have bonus footage?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Candlelight, May 30, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

From Memory Alpha:

Lucky buggers.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Why did the UK theatrical release of First Contact have bonus foot

I'd like to see the footage.

That said, First Contact is one of the best-paced blockbusters I've ever seen. Sometimes too well-paced...

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There must have been more than one version doing the rounds as neither of those bits were in the film the two times I saw it (one in an olde theatre on a Butlins holiday camp for maximum surrealism).

The Crusher/Worf scene was a sensible deletion as everything in it is covered by one line when they get to the bridge..

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Or it could be a plain old mistake on memory alpha which, like Wikipedia, allows people to submit info.
    That's what I'm thinking. To think that not only was that version never seen anywhere else in the world BUT NOT EVEN in all the UK prints--c'mon.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall them, but it was half a lifetime ago....

But whenever I watch the Defiant scene I'm always expecting a teethly grin at the end of Worf's close up after 'It's the Enterprise!' A false memory I assume.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

One of the trailers on the DVD/BD contains a different take of Picard's "The line must be drawn here!" ... other than that, I'm not sure. I must have seen that trailer a hundred times back then on my DS9/VGR VHS tapes (which were from the UK), but I don't remember those two scenes. I still have the old UK Special Collector's Edition VHS of First Contact, but I have no way of checking it for the trailers.

7. Silanda

Silanda Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't remember those scenes but, although it might not feel it, it was a long time ago.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it at the Cinema and have no recollection of this.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I bet this is yet another case of a fan misremembering cut lines, they'd once seen in the novelization or comic adaptation, as having been in a theatrical print. Has happened with almost all the Trek movies.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's because we're better.

11. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Well that makes sense now. When I rewatched First Contact a couple of years ago I got confused because I remembered a scene where Geordi talked about his eyes a bit. Can't remember the Sickbay one, but by the sounds of it, it was totally miss-able.

12. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Seems that I completely misunderstood the OP ... for some reason I thought those scenes were supposed to be in the UK trailers, not the movie itself.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That was in a different thread, and the OP asked for it to be closed in favour of this one.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I don't remember either of those scenes being in it

15. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

I remember something about Geordi's eyes, but then again I don't know if I actually remember seeing it, or just remembering references to it and thinking it was in the film.

It's like Star Wars Episode IV. I've been assured from numerous sources that "Episode IV" was not in the opening scrawl during the original cinema release, but I cannot remember it ever being missing. In fact quite the opposite, I seem to remember wondering as a kid why it would be Episode IV!

16. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Even people at LucasFilm have said that the movie never had "Episode IV" in its initial release. The DVD release from a few years ago had a second disc that included the original pre-Special Edition versions of the original trilogy and that version didn't have "Episode IV". I think I remember reading they added it to one of the re-releases either before or after The Empire Strikes Back.

Speaking of Episode IV, another thing that many people claim to remember seeing in the theatres is the scene between Luke and Biggs on Tatooine. They swear they saw it and it was just removed for home video. Truth is, it was never in any release, but some books that came out around the time had pictures of the scene. I have a children's storybook that contains pictures from the movie and that scene is in there along with a picture of it. I remember wondering why that scene wasn't in the movie.

17. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

And that's my point about the betrayal of memory. In my mind, I know for a fact that "Episode IV" was in the opening scrawl when I saw it in 1977.

I now know that "fact" is completely wrong! :)

I do remember a friend of mine swore that he saw a scene in Empire Strikes Back, where the rebel troops on Hoth looked up into the sky to see the Star Destroyers entering low orbit. To my knowledge, no such scene was even scripted, let alone filmed.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And to complete the trilogy, people also remember seeing Luke jumping up and hanging on the railings when trying to escape the Rancor pit in ROTJ. A Gammorean Guard stands on his fingers and he falls back down.

19. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Hey, I remember that railings scene, now you've said it. I also know it doesn't exist, as I've watched RotJ a whole host of times. I think at some point it became a "Special Edition change" to me.

20. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ For years I was convinced that I saw a print of ROTJ that started off on ENDOR (I was only 6 at the time).

Years later someone pointed out that there had been a trailer for "Caravan of Courage" and it all made sense :lol:

Oh, there were no additional scenes in the UK version of First Contact either.

Load of Bollocks.