Day Of Honour...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I started the first of the four Day Of Honour novels yesterday, planning on reading this series in a row.
    I was wondering what the general consensus was on these novels. Sofar, in this first novel, the Worf parts are quite interesting, but I find the chapters with Picard and Alexander on the holodeck quite dull. I can't comment on the whole of the plot just yet, since I'm not even a hundred pages in.

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I vaguely remember the DS9 entry; basically for the observer hinted as being Sulu, although the writers never confirm this.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As far as I remember, none of the DoH novels were exactly great...

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I mostly enjoyed the TNG and DS9 entries. I thought VOY and TOS were pretty atrocious though.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Actually it is a 6 book series, since there was the novelization of the Voyager episode and book 11 of the DS9 YA series, "Honor Bound". Both of these books were included in the omnibus reprint.

6. Mage

Ah. Didn't know that. It says Book One Of Four, Two of Four etc on the novels I have, so I never knew there were two more.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the DS9 YA one is the best of them. A good focus on Alexander.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Issue #8 of Marvel's Star Trek Unlimited was also a Day of Honor tie-in, so that brings it to seven. Eight if you count the actual episode.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A tetralogy in eight parts !

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well I remember from the DVD's that, I think it was Jeri Taylor who mentioned it, but the producers had seen the books for Day Of Honor and liked the idea so much that they created the episode. This is one case for sure where the idea for an episode originated in the books.

11. Christopher

That's not quite right, because the first book came out only weeks before the episode aired. Rather, when Pocket editor John Ordover was developing the books, he contacted Jeri Taylor and let her know about the idea, thinking it might be a good basis for a B'Elanna episode. And Taylor agreed.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Day_of_Honor_(episode)#Story_Development

12. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I liked the TOS and DS9 books, interestingly. The others were so/so.

13. Mage

Hm... TNG book was unimpressive really. Started the DS9 one, interesting sofar, but as always, final judgement at the end.

14. Christopher

Armageddon Sky was my favorite of the DoH novels. Much as the same authors' Invasion!: Time's Enemy was my favorite installment in that crossover.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Agreed twice.

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I guess you could say that the Day of Honor series is the "increasingly inaccurately named Hitchiker's Trilogy" of the Treklit universe... :rommie:

17. Mage

Is it me, or are there some weird inconsistencies in the DS9 novel? Like both the Defiant and Kor's ship firing while cloaked?

18. Mage

Armageddon Sky was certainly a lot better then the TNG novel (forget the name already) but it had some odd moments. I sometimes felt there was some hinting towards Bashir being genetically engineered, but wasn't this novel written before that was revealed?

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

DON'T PANIC !

20. Christopher

It came out about six months after the episode aired, so there might've been time to do some late revisions alluding to Bashir's genetic enhancements.