Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If that was what he was saying we'd be fine with it. What he's been saying is that she is super thin and can never ever put on any weight and that at 5'9" she's too short on the verge of being a dwarf.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lois Lane Earth 3 is Superwoman.

Wonder Woman wouldn't stand a chance.

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

There was, actually: they were in denial about thinking they would find a solution to the problem that wouldn't involve upsetting their lifestyle or worldview. It's an analogy to the mindset of, say, present-day climate change denialists. And quite an effective one, too.

You do have a point about the line: "There's only one way this ends, Kal! Either you die - or I do." Zod, dude, that's... that's two ways. (Nevertheless MoS' bad-guy Kryptonians, and its plotting, were an advance light-years beyond their predecessors in film, as much as I still love hearing Terence Stamp say "Kneel before Zod!")

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree with your last point.

Although Stamp's Zod had simplistic motivations (and for a comic book film this is a good thing, because the new zod has a half dozen reasons for doing what he is doing, and doesn't feel like a deeper character despite this; in fact he feels shallower somehow, as if he knows he's the "bad guy") there was complexity Stamp's Zod played in the character himself. You can see him thinking (like when he says "ah," when what Lex says to him about the Son of Jor-el" makes sense) and there's actually some good comic timing here that is very subtle. Zod both wants to rule and he is naive and without knowledge of Earth's culture, and that dichotomy brings with it a few understated (and overstated) laughs, but Stamp makes it work because he plays it straight. Zod might have all these powers, but he rules with charisma. That's why he has followers in the original films.

Also, I love how, knowing he is so powerful, barely feels the need to break a sweat if it's not called for, even in a big battle. He's stand atop a building and randomly use his heat vision to destroy cars. No need for him to do any more than that.

The new Zod was written with no subtlety,, no wit, and no reason to like the guy at all.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

He was the villain. You're not supposed to like him.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

That's in the objective sense.

But I disagree. We are supposed to like villains. That's what makes them interesting. It could be because they are cool funny, or have a valid point. Or that they could be right. Or a dozen other reasons. A villain that we like is something that helps make a film good.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

He was written as a general -- and as someone loyal to (a conservatively-defined) vision of his people and homeworld. I actually quite liked that all his actions do in fact fit with this: he's an avatar of a Kryptonian caste system and in search of somewhere to recreate a home for that caste system once the original one is destroyed, and the demise of that possibility believably pushes him (even further over) the edge. It provides a believable motivation for his villainy and for his soldiers to follow him beyond the "kneel before me" moustache-twirling of the original article (although Stamp brought some nice touches to this, moustache-twirling is still all it is). He's still a comic book character -- a simple, straightforward villain -- just with enough of a basic foundation to make him psychologically believable. (That he had less "subtlety" and "wit" actually fit the character better, all villains don't need to be a source of laughs.)

For that matter I like the new Krypton in general. It was less inert than the earlier film version, and was provided with a halfway-believable socio-political conflict to contribute to the intrasigence Jor-El encounters.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love Stamp's Zod, I don't need every movie supervillain to be written the same way, or to be constantly throwing out quips like Hiddleston's Loki.

Snyder and Nolan clearly wanted this Zod to be scary and intense as hell, and to be a huge threat for Superman, and I thought they succeeded in that. And his single-minded drive and intensity also helped make you understand why Superman would have no choice but to kill him at the end-- because he would just not be stopped any other way.

Edit: Oops, the guy above beat me to it.

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^^ This

Also I'd like to add that after the Donner movie. Every single Zod in the comics up until MOS (since Earth One by JMS' and New 52 Zod haven't introduced yet) have all had the same motivation. Kill Kal-El/Superman because he had a grudge against Jor-El for judging and jailing him. I like how MOS Zod doesn't have a grudge against Superman because of who his parentage is. Zod in MOS is kind of a tragic character when you think about it. He came to Earth for the exact same reason that Jor-El sent Kal to Earth. For hope. This is way more interesting and complex when compared to the Stamp-Zod of and the subsequent Zod's that have appeared in the comics from 1980-2011.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT. I thought they did a really good job with Zod.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah, again I just don't see it.They over-motivated his character, but that doesn't ad any dpth. It simply gives the actor more "bad-guy" phrases to say, while diluting a aspect that can make a villain work cinemativally: their single-mindedness.

But since Zod's motivations are so plot-dependant, and the plot is stupid (I mean, they had ships, they had colonies, and they had terraforming things, but no one wanted to escape Krypton? Really?) it really weakens his character. And Shannon made his malice too-over-the-top, like Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons (and yet somehow, because of it's absurdity, and the level 18 wizard's character sheet they might have rolled for Irons along with giving his the script, that performance is leagues more fun) and yet was far too serious to even make it entertaining.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I would just like to be the first to say, that if Momoa is being cast as Doomsday, he is totally to short and to scrawny... and totally lacks those boney things on his arms to play Doomsday.

Casting FAIL.

14. Savage Dragon

He's also way too pink.

15. Professor Zoom

MOAR casting fail!!!

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

As well, I don't think that the bodybuilders can really act alongside Cavil and Affeleck. I'm willing to be that Ms. Gadot can do so even if she's small of stature.

17. Professor Zoom

She's 5 foot 9 inches tall. That is above average height for a woman. She is not small of stature.

18. Savage Dragon

Seriously. She's taller than me! Granted I'm only 5'8", but still.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Way too human as well. He ain't Kryptonian at all!

20. Savage Dragon

Damn all those humans getting the good roles.