YOUR Favorite TARDIS Corridors!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 2, 2013.

?

What are your favorite TARDIS corridors?

1. Original: Hartnell-Early Baker - Roundels! Photographic blow-ups! Blank walls! Glass dividers! Gener

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. JNT era: Late-Baker - McCoy. Lots or roundels! Wierd hexagonal shapes that don't do anything! Basica

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. TVM: Generic columns with flowing curtains disguising the lack of ACTUAL walls!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Doctor's Wife: Roomy and utilitarian! Safety hazard pitfalls! Occasional circles in the walls!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Journey: Cramped maze of basement service ducts! Tubing everywhere! Few circley things at all!

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What it says. I've broadly divided them into the five(ish) types we've seen.

I'm a fan of the JNT-era ones. Somehow they still look the most alien, and yet remain comfortable to walk around in despite being arguably the simplest ones of them all.

Note we're actually talking about JUST the corridors here, not the rooms that connect with them. That's some other thread. :)

Mark

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, close call between JNT and TV, but JNT wins just by the skin of it's teeth. I prefer the TARDIS console room of TVM, but ultimatley JNT wins. It's the clasic, and really the only one that I grew up with seeing in my time (RTD) didn't really show any other rooms, and yet we saw loads of them in JNT. I'd say my least favourite corridors would the the newest one, although for me right now, the console room is tied bottom with the other Smith one. Not enough circles.

What I'd like them to do is undo this awfull dark murkey thing the new tardis has going on, and then get to see corridors and companions rooms like they did in JNT's time.

I think they just need to go back to square one with the tardis interior. How come JNTs tardis lasted for about a decade, and the new tardis's keep switing every five minites, especially since Moffat got in. I wasn't a big fan of RTDs tardis, but at least he stuck to it.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

JNT era. They were plain and simple in design, but looked the most sterile and alien.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've joined in the nearly-unanimous vote for the white roundelled corridors, but I'd quibble with the chronological breakdown and the "JNT era" label, because those were pretty much in place as early as the Philip Hinchcliffe era, like in "Masque of Mandragora" (I think it was) where they introduced the retro, wood-panelled console room. The opening scene there had the Doctor and Sarah wandering through the corridors, and they looked pretty much like they did in later years, as I recall.

Although I have to wonder, did we ever really see TARDIS corridors per se before then? It was mainly just in the first season, especially "The Edge of Destruction," that the interior of the ship beyond the console room was seen, and that was just dining and sleeping areas that were adjacent to the console room. Not really specific corridors or hallways, just rooms abutting rooms. Between then and "Masque," I don't recall seeing much of the TARDIS interior.

5. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can we get some pictures in this thread? I don't recall seeing the JNT Tardis Corridors and I'd like to see the actual difference between the two modern corridors.

6. Mark_Nguyen

You can Google up Dailymotion and Tardismedia for clips of classic episodes that feature the TARDIS significantly, including Masque of Mandragora (for the corridors pre-JNT), Castrovalva and Logopolis.

In Masque it was really just one corrodor that was seen, shot from two angles to make it look longer; I'm pretty sure that this set was either built for the occasion or cobbled from previous usages. AFTER it was "Invasion of Time", which featured the poorly disguised, disused hospital and pool sets.

In "Edge of Destruction" they did reuse bits of the console room between the adjoining sections. Back then the console room was assembled only if they needed it that week instead of the standing set they now have...

Mark

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, this poll is useless without pix!! :lol:

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the 13th Doctor's Tardis theme the best.. oh wait, you guys have not seen that yet..sorry. ;)

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the Tom Baker episode where he's running through the TARDIS and it's just shots of him running down the same flight of stairs into an empty, brick walled factory floor... Gotta love the days of zero budget..

10. Mark_Nguyen

That SOOOOOO doesn't count. It's fits right in there with me trying to pass off my home as a TARDIS interior for the fanfilm I made in the 1990s. :P

Mark

11. Green Lantern

Any pics?

12. Mark_Nguyen

Not of THOSE corridors, no. None of my fanfilms survived the analog apocalypse of the late 1990s.

But it's okay, since the plot involved two brother time lords (played by my brothers) fighting against another renegade (played by me) and his burgeoning army of cloned time lords (played by my brothers in BMX helmets and their Captain Power blasters). That'd never fly today, even though I used official Doctor Who sound effects I found in the reel-to-reel section of my library. ;)

Mark

13. Green Lantern

Ah. :(

Ah right. lol.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I loved the wooden control room myself. That should have been Hartnell's all along.

I like the latest one and the Hinchcliffe era about equally, although the Terry Gilliam/Brazil look of the Eccleston/Tennant era control rooms really fit Matt's doctor better.

Some interesting retro tech here that fits the mood
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10821081@N00/galleries/72157623551543861
    http://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2009/09/scopin-out-beamscope.html
    http://computech-teluu.blogspot.com/2012/01/fresnel-lens.html
    http://www.metafilter.com/107103/Pixar-1972
    Borg http://www.flickr.com/photos/8401914@N03/2731824311/in/gallery-10821081@N00-72157623551543861/

At least the Russians still make nixie tubes and LEDs
    http://www.neonixie.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tube
    http://steamworksresearchlabs.com/steamworks-rd-labs.html
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~wolff/calculators/BellPunch/BPC.htm

I just love the look of obsolete equipment. The dials, toggles slides, levers, etc. All lend an air of importance. Hearing the chatter of typewriters--that is what made All The President's Men so wonderful--the sounds.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think that would've worked. By the 14th season, when viewers were well acquainted with the Doctor and the TARDIS and their origins in an advanced alien civilization, a retro design to the console room could work, but back when the show was new, it would've just been confusing. The original TARDIS interior needed to look advanced and futuristic in order to sell its nature to the audience, to drive home the idea that inside this commonplace police box was a space-time vessel from an unimaginably advanced civilization. The retro elements were expressed in the Doctor's wardrobe. It was the incongruous blend of past (his wardrobe), present (the police-box exterior), and future (the high-tech ship interior) that sold the idea of the Doctor as a man out of time and a traveler through all times.

16. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

JNT era. Gleaming interior with roundels and columns. There are no real substitutes as far as I'm concerned, though maybe Richard Hudolin might have given us something good if the McGann era had endured.