Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think any of us did, did we? I mean, I'm not going back and reading 60 pages to check, but when I heard she'd been cast, I thought, "All that speculation and her name never came up! Weird!" But I think she's a great choice.

(And whatever they do to her hair -- I just hope it's better than what they did to Kate Bosworth's. Because...bleh. I don't think it helped sell her performance as Lois...)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No need to read through all the pages, since there's a handy "Search This Thread" box at the top of the page. And you're right -- a search for the name "Adams" in this thread turns up zero results prior to today.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Amy Adams wasn't brought up in our speculations before...at least I don't recall her name being brought up.

4. Wow interesting. Didn't see that choice coming.

Of course I've never seen Cavil or Amy Adams in anything. I look forward to looking at the various photoshops people on SHH are no doubt cranking up as we speak.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of this cast would be considered thinking outside the box in my opinion. There has literally been no one that I've been disappointed about yet.

6. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Knowing her performance in Night at the Museum 2 as Amelia Earhart, I think she has all the right spunk to play Lois.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I forgot seeing her in that. Yeah, definitely reminiscent of the Lois in the old Fleischer cartoons.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Between endless reboots and adaptations I've lost track. However, at one point, it seemed to me the idea was that, while Clark was the noob, he wasn't a kid fresh out of college either. The implication was usually that he'd spent a few years having adventures (varying depending on the version of the origin you were reading/watching) before he decided to adopt the reporter persona.

9. Christopher

^True, but the point is that Lois has traditionally been portrayed as the established star reporter who was there before Clark, not a novice herself.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if Clark spent several years as an adult someplace before coming to the Planet, time during which Lois had risen the ranks of said paper, there's nothing to say they couldn't be about the same age. The difference would be that Lois was established there and Clark was the new guy.

11. Christopher

I never said they couldn't be the same age. I just said there's no reason Lois couldn't or shouldn't be older.

12. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see a problem. Lois may be talented and ambitious, but she doesn't have to be a "star" reporter before she gets her first interview with Superman. What I'm suggesting would not be much of a change from comic-book tradition.

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not convinced Amy Adams has the complexion to pull off being brunette. Besides which, she's an absolute bombshell in her natural color.

Redheaded Lois FTW!

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Agreed. Amy Adams' natural hair color > canon and is well worth a violation :)

And it will be fun hearing people complain about it in any event. Not as much fun as hearing people complain about Zoe Saldana getting the part, but fun.

15. Christopher

But why are you suggesting it? The role's already been cast, and they're not going that way.

16. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True fact: racist or not, a black actress in a movie headline with a white suprehero ain't gonna bring much money from overseas or in the good ol' USA. I also find it funny that a non-white literary character can be changed to white and the uproar can deafen you, but a black actress for a white literary character is absolutely fine. Strange, that!

You do realize both of Zoe Saldana's movies after Avatar (Losers, Takers) were insta-flops, yes? And in Avatar she wasn't even in her true form? You can call Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller and Robert Di Niro as well-known actors. Zoe saldana ain't that.

17. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so glad I have you to help me get used to everything.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Whites and non-whites in western fiction and society are in completely different positions. And as long as that's the case, it won't be the same.

19. Christopher

Tip for the day: Prefacing a statement with "true fact" is not enough to make it true. You support -- or refute -- a claim with actual evidence. Like this:

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-successful-actors-at-the-box-office.php

Of the ten most successful feature film actors of all time, measured by total box-office grosses of the films they've appeared in, four are black -- with Samuel L. Jackson taking the number one spot. It seems quite counterfactual to assert that having a black performer in a leading role would make a film unprofitable.

That's very disingenuous. For centuries, Western society has given special privileges to whites and denied other ethnic groups the right to compete fairly. Even today, despite the proven success of certain black or Asian actors, it's difficult for performers of color to get an equal chance to succeed. You yourself assert that racial prejudice is still prevalent, so to turn around and say this in the very next sentence is a gross contradiction.

Your mistake is in defining it in terms of the characters. The uproar isn't about the characters -- it's about the real live human beings seeking gainful employment as actors. It's about wanting fair opportunities for everyone. Minority roles are still outnumbered by white roles, so casting whites as characters who were originally minorities is denying scarce opportunities to actors of other ethnicities. It's a matter of job discrimination, and there's nothing funny about that.

So? She was also in several successful movies before that, including Center Stage, the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and a little thing called Star Trek. No actor is successful in 100 percent of their films.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011