Favourite Bridge

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Viper78, Aug 17, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Not my favourite bridge but more of an observation the Ent-D bridge never looked better than it did in GEN

2. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Totally agree, those extra station at the sides, lit stairs at the captains chair & darker lighting make it look awesome.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed with both posts!! Loved the E-D bridge in Generations, made much more sense somehow, with the extra stations and the raised captain's chair.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's just a shame we could at least have had at least it lit like that in the TV show. But I suppose that's not possible on a TV filming schedule

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Way too "designed" for my taste. Looks too much like a set.

I still prefer the TOS Enterprise bridge -- no bloody A, B, C or D. The basic layout is functional and realistic. (Okay, the split-level design with the raised outer platform isn't really necessary, but it does keep the bridge from looking too simple.)

6. Cmdr.Druss

Cmdr.Druss Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yep. I never really liked the Enterprise-D bridge, but all the various alternate universe and the GEN bridge all looked much better but still my least favourite of the hero ships.

TOS, Defiant, Ent-E and even the NX all had great bridges that looked good and were functional.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

For the most part, the NX got it right. It certainly fit in its century (when compared to the other bridges). The captain had a good view of all the workstations. I wish that tactical had been located next to navigation, a la Constitution. In combat, the two stations should work together. I love the war room/planning area in the back.

I dislike the Intrepid bridge most of all. Why are the command officers penned in from the other stations? Why are almost all the stations behind the command area, requiring the Captain or XO to constantly get up and look around? (This isn't such a problem on the Galaxy given the need for a more diplomatic role.) Why would the tactical station do anything but face forward? I believe that the Intrepid has the greatest distance between command section and tactical, which I am sure works well during a noisy battle.

The rest? Galaxy should be tactical before command section. Moreover, I hate the "Hyatt-Regency look." Defiant is what is it--functional, not a lot of room. The original Constitution is great for allowing close collaboration between con, navigation, and tactical. The movie bridges seem gratuitous to me.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favorite is the Enterprise-A's bridge:

[​IMG]

9. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's the one I went for. Stunning looking bridge!!!

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sulu must be taking the picture.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That is the way I feel about the Enterprise E bridge.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason the helmsman's chair remained empty was to honour Sulu, who wasn't on the E anymore (duh! ;)). So, instead of putting any other helmsmen there, they decided to keep the chair empty as a salute.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I realized it must be the Enterprise-A bridge from ST6, though the comment in the picture post wasn't specific (the bridge sort of changed with every film), and it was my feeble attempt at a joke.

14. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll second this one.

TFF often gets overlooked in many areas, and I think production design is one. There are some places where Shatner was forced, for budgetary reasons, to use some of the standing TNG sets, and those look horrible in the TFF context. But everywhere they were able to do original work, I think Herman Zimmerman and his team did a fantastic job.

In particular, I think the bridge from TFF is the best melding of the simple, functional layout from TOS and the warm, inviting look of TNG. It seems a logical intermediary step between the two as well. I go against the majority and dislike what Nick Meyer did with it in TUC. He made it too cold and military for my taste. I much prefer the TFF variant. Shame it only made one appearance.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yes the bridge from TFF is a design I live better than Trek VI. That bridge is TFF had some comfort and warmth to it while the bridge in Trek VI is too cold and sterile for my tastes.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are the STV and VI bridges the same set? I ask because it looks so much smaller and more cramped in VI. Perhaps just the magic of lighting?

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

True.:vulcan:

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

The turbolifts are in different positions.
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Starfleet-Bridge-Variations/Page_22.jpg
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Starfleet-Bridge-Variations/Page_23.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-a-bridge-finalfrontier.jpg
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-a-bridge.jpg

Was a new set built for TUC? :shrug:

19. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's the same set. But it was rather extensively redressed at Nick Meyer's request and the lighting was very different. Each section of the bridge was built as a "pie wedge" that could easily be removed and repositioned. Hence how the same set could be the Enterprise and the Reliant in TWOK and the same set could be the Enterprise and the Excelsior in TUC.

20. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

The original series Enterprise bridge is my favorite, though I have always liked the spartan yet functional bridge on the Romulan Bird of Prey in "Balance of Terror"...plaster ceiling and all.