Any under 30 classic film fans?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Are there any under 30 fans of classic films around here? Any of you like films from the '80s and older to the '30s or so and you like them more than because you think them cheesy or campy?

If so then please speak up and tell us why.

2. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I am as of yet, as I've really only seen a few so-called classic films, but it's one of my summer projects actually. I'm planning to host a classic movie night with friends once a week, and have been looking for suggestions of what to view. Hopefully a mix of some of the legendary films with some lesser-known classics.

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Does "Star Wars (1977)" count?

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Oh, I love classic films... Chaplin, Keaton, Ingmar Bergman, the classic Universal horror films, Harryhousen films, the Thin Man series, you name it.

My all time favorite film will always be 1950's Harvey, though that may be more for sentimental reasons than for its artistic merit. Love it all the same.

I'm 29, BTW.

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure. I like movies produced pretty much any time from the 30s on (I'm afraid stuff from earlier is just too primitive for me to really get into, though). Casablanca and Dr. Strangelove are amongst my favourite movies, for instance. I also love classic Bond flicks, 70s blockbusters... lotsa stuff. When a movie was made doesn't affect my ability to enjoy it, generally speaking.

Oh, and I'm 23, for the record.

6. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell yes, it does.

So does Alien.

I also like Lawrence of Arabia and A Man for All Seasons.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I will happily watch any film from any era as long as the story, the characters and the actors are engaging.

I think the earliest film in my DVD collection is 1951's The Day the Earth Stood Still.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm 22, and I find myself enjoying cinema from any era. I like Citizen Kane and The Third Man as much as any recent picture (even more, in fact). It's true, that when it comes to silent cinema, I find myself mostly preferring comedies, but there are some exceptions.

My favorite period in American cinema, though, would be New Hollywood (approx. 1967-1980).

9. Kelso

Oh, definitely!

If I had to choose my top ten favorite films based on artistic merit rather than nostalgia, films like Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, The Great Dictator and The Seventh Seal would definitely make the list.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Today I popped in the DVD's for Dirty Harry and Casablanca.

11. Kelso

I recently introduced my three year old daughter to The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. She loved it, though she did think the cyclops was a bit scary. I still marvel at the sword fight with the skeleton... it amazing how well Harryhousen's work holds up.

12. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I love classic films, especially 50's scifi. Here's a recent list of what I've watched.

It Came from Beneath the Sea
    The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
    Jason and the Argonauts
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
    Forbidden Planet
    Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
    Them!
    The Black Hole

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm 25... and I think it's a bit soon to call 80's films "classic." I entered this thread thinking Casablanca type classic... and I do very much like films from that era. I'm sure there was a lot of crap back then too but time seems to filter it out.

I'm not terribly hung up on when a movie was made, I just like films with good character and good stories that don't insult my intelligence.

Off the top of my head, "classic" favorites include All the King's Men, Casablanca, Brief Encounter, High Noon, the spaghetti westerns, 12 Angry Men, Sunset Blvd...

I'm also a big Kurosawa fan. My all time favorite movie is Ikiru (1952).

Oh, and I keep a list.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way about movies that you do. The earliest movie in my collection is 1929's ATLANTIC, an early take on the Titanic disaster.

15. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am under 30, and I also don't care when a movie is made. Quality entertainment will hold up over time. Some of my favorite movies come from the 1960s and 1980s.

16. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm 23, soon to be 24, and I believe the earliest film in my collection is the 1925 silent version of Ben-Hur--more on a technicality, since it came packaged with the 1959 version's four-disc collector's set. As an individual purchase, I think 1931's Dracula would be the earliest.

I'd say on the whole my tastes are "balanced"; if I were to look at a list of my favourite movies, I'd find examples from almost every era of filmmaking.

17. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of classic cinema. There's nothing in particular about older films that engages my interest - quite the opposite, in fact - but that doesn't mean that I refuse to watch them or am incapable of enjoying them. The oldest film I own is Citizen Kane, but at a rough estimate I'd say 90% of my collection is post-1975.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm 22 and I enjoy classic films... mostly horror.

19. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In many ways I prefer classic film to modern cinema and I think a lot of it goes unnoticed by this generation. If you're not a little quirky or grew up in an older household with old school parents, you might not know a lot of these films are not only still watchable, but dang great shows!

I'm 29 and love everything from silents to 80s drivel. I also love old music and collect records, but again, such music isn't even around anymore. When I occasionally listen to the radio, stations that used to play '50s and 60s' now play '60s, 70s, and 80s'. Film is the same. Outside of TCM, you really can't find classic film available to the mass public. Sure there are straggles of classics on late night or other premium channels but unless you know what to look for, you can't find the good stuff. DVD is also touch and go. Some of the greats aren't available on video!

I'll stop my ranting! If I may direct anyone interested to my film review blog, where I have considerable work on the classics. My favorite movie ever is The Searchers, and that review is a seriously long one!

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com/

As a critic, I'm also surprised that more and more old school critics are dying out. Sure you can find a lot online, but a lot of the goods are considered overrated. A lot of the pro blogs don't want classic reviews, in fact some say new releases only. That's very weird to me!

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'm just under 30, and I'm a fan of silent movies (mostly German ones). My second favourite film era is neorealismo (late 40s and 50s). The oldest film I own on DVD is either Nosferatu or Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler (Dr Mabuse, the Gambler), both from the year 1922 (I'm not sure which came out first). I do have some older movies lying around here which haven't been widely released on DVD as far as I know.
    So why do I love these two eras so much? In the case of silent movies it's because they're kind of abstract, having no sound. Pretty much everything has to be conveyed in pictures, which is what film should be about in my opinion.
    I love the neorealismo era because these films seem incredibly authentic, like something that could happen every day and yet is worthy of a movie. I also like the Italian setting.

If I were to make a list of my favourite movies, a lot of the Top 10 would be occupied by films made before 1970. The top spot is a draw between La Dolce Vita by Federico Fellini from 1959 (not quite neorealismo anymore) and Metropolis from 1927 by Fritz Lang.