DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like the French knight in Monty Python's Grail: "I don' tink e'll be verra keen. E's already got one, you see."

Today is a biggish week: Justice League Dark (title's on notice now); All Star Western; Aquaman; Batman Inc.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You are probably right on this.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Aquaman: Still loving the artwork in this book, story-line is moving along okay.

The Flash: Another book with fantastic artwork but here I think the story has stalled a bit.

The Dark Knight: The "Night of the Owls" crossover event continues. Not too bad of an issue here, somehow TDK has turned out to be a decent Batman book.

Superman: I think this book has really turned around since it started, probably having to do with the new creative team in it. I think the relationship and such between all of the characters is working out nicely.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I think I'll drop Batman: The Dark Knight. I was going to get this week's issue, but I can't remember what happened in the last one, so I figured it was time to move on. They never did follow up on the White Rabbit revelation from #7 if I remember correctly.

5. Trekker4747

Not quite, but right now they're mostly dealing with the Night of the Owls.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

7. Trekker4747

Sigh.

Society? You largely piss me off.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

People bringing up Alan Scott makes me realize something. In the New52 verse, there must be no Jade or Obsidian, also. This means that huge portions of Kyle Rayner's backstory are all gone, now.

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

That's my biggest problem with the reboot thus far missing characters, I'm still waiting for Metamopho and Dr. Fate to show up.

If Alan Scot does turn out to be gay the biggest threat to Jade and Obsidian being his kids is his young age not his orientation, he could either adopt or have in vetro done if they wanted his kids to be biological. I wonder what the bigots would say to that?

The only problem I have with it being Alan is that I don't think of a parallel universe version of a Green Lantern or any Lantern to be iconic outside of comic readers.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's not alone, most of the New 52 have new "lives". We'll find out what those lives were like when we do. That's actually part of the fun.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read Batman Inc Volume Two #1 and thought it was fantastic. I've been thinking about Talia's Ubu-Batman. I know earlier in the thread someone suggested it could be a grown Damian clone, but I wonder...could it be Bane? I know he's been used in Dark Knight or whatever it was, but that's never stopped Morrison before. Bane has history with Talia so it's possible if unlikely. I wonder when this story takes place since Bruce mentioned both the Spook and Nobody incident. It obviously takes place sometime after the first New 52 Batman and Robin arc but possibly several months prior to the Batman Court of Owls arc.

12. Derishton

For some reason, I think the "outed" character could be Hawkgirl on Earth-2: iconic in the sense that she was in the animated JLA, and she hasn't shown up yet except on the cover for Earth 2 #3. Unless we know it's a male character?

If it's Alan Scott, and Jade/Obsidian were to still exist, it would have to be his genes for Jade to make any sense.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was reading an article and it said the "new gay character" will emerge joining Batwoman among the ranks of DC gay characters. I don't know if Batwoman was the only gay character the writer knew or if the writer knows it's going to be female. It sounded implied to me the character was pointing to being female from the way that article read.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The character in question is male.

15. Derishton

I'm actually a little relieved by that (I missed the pronoun used); if DC is going to make a statement, having another hot female lesbian probably isn't the way to do it.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and Alan Scott it is, meaning DC just made its major male gay character the one superhero with a weakness for...wood

17. Derishton

:lol: I suspect this news will be met with a colossal "huh?" from the mainstream media who had picked it up.

DC: "He's an iconic but completely newly reinvented 1940s version of a hero we all know from a crappy movie last year who used to have kids but now doesn't because he lives on a parallel world in a rebooted time stream. So you can see his newly-revealed orientation is entirely consistent with his earlier characterization."

Media: "It's funny you should mention 'orientation' because we're completely disoriented right now. Also, bored."

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

So the new major gay character is one limited to an alternative universe? Way to go, DC! Way to take a stand!

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Pretty much. I do recall them saying something to the effect that with Superman dead, GL would be filling his role as "the big guy" everyone looks to or something.

But yeah, it should've been Hal for it to really shake things up. The first time I heard someone suggest an Earth-2 character, I figured it'd be one of them, even though that would be the lame and safe way to go.

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

How can they describe Alan Scott as a major and iconic character? He has been a minor character the longest time and he's definitely not iconic.
    Iconic characters are recognized outside of the comic book nerd herd, Superman, Batman, Robin, The Joker etc. are iconic DC characters, Alan Scott is on "Is he the iconic characters boyfriend?" level as far as the public is concerned.

DC really screwed this one up, it would have been fine if they hadn't drummed up interest by doing a press release, but you can't do that and than reveal it's Alan Scott, the guy who exists in another universe.:rolleyes:
    One million moms made a big stink about it, right now I bet they're scratching one million heads thinking "Who?!

If DC had balls they would have picked someone at least slightly recognizable like Superboy.