Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

No alumni in last week's Mannix episode. I thought I recognized an Organian elder playing a hotel clerk, but it turned out to be Jon Lormer, who only looks like an Organian elder :lol:.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But he was an SS Columbia survivor, one of Landru's townsfolk, and the guy who said "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky."

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

THAT'S where I recognized him from, THANK you!
    I checked his IMDB listing but it doesn't list his Trek appearances!

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No problem! He was also on three "Andy Griffiths," in one of which

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW!

someone was stealing his cows by putting backward shoes on their hooves to cover their tracks.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Screen capping the hot babes is more fun, but the men show up in other shows too.

Here's Montalban as a detective in trouble in a 2nd season Ironside titled "The Sacrifice".
    [​IMG]

And Roger C. carmel in a 1962 episode of Naked City (with Jack Warden and Carol O'Connor):
    [​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Weird to see Warden with a moustache and Carmel without one.

7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can confirm it. Quite a few scripts were filmed twice, and several were shot three times. And very little was done to disguise it. Tons of dialogue was repeated word for word, and guest-character names were often the same.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I believe Dragnet did this to some extent as well.

9. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

I believe the only out and out reusing of an old Dragnet for the 60s version, was the famous 'The Christmas Story", which was a remake of the classic B&W "Big Little Jesus" : http://www.tv.com/shows/dragnet/the-christmas-story-142768/ They even used most of the cast from the old one!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Avengers is a very notable example of remaking episodes, as several of the later colour Rigg episodes were straight down the line reuses of Honnor Blackman scripts.

Officially, the excuse was the show was now selling in America and Americans hadn't seen the videotaped episodes so why not reuse them (that seems a bit heartless on the British viewers only a couple of years removed from the original broadcast, but by the time it went into "Color" The Avengers was basically an American series, the B&W Emma Peel season was the last to actually be commissioned by ITV, after that all renewals were down to the Yanks).

However, there is something a bit odd about all this suggesting something a bit more than just wanting to get good scripts out there in America. All the remakes happen fairly closely together in the colour Rigg episodes, both before and after there aren't any, despite there being a few more they could have done in the film era style.

Being a series that involves Brian Clements and Terry Nation (two men who never let a good idea go to waste), there are lots of examples of episodes reusing ideas from previous ones (The House That Jack Built has a lot in common with Don't Look Behind You, which ironically was one of the episodes they remade later, as The Joker), but word for word remakes are just contained within that very brief period of the show's run. It creates the impression there were some serious behind the scenes problems that meant they needed some easy to use scripts in a hurry.

Vaguely on thread: The character who gave The Avengers its name in the first episode was played by Patrick Macnee's one time wife and future squeese of Dr. McCoy Catherine Woodville.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The episode of The Rifleman with Sherry Jackson is just now ending on Me-TV. I'd forgotten that one of her older brothers was played by Dan (Hoss Cartwright) Blocker!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is Roger Carmel in the 1964 series finale of Route 66, playing a prototype of the Harry Mudd character - an American dealing black market goods in Soviet Russia. Note the mannerisms Carmel would later retain for the Mudd character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27tvbeE43Yo

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    He also appeared in an episode of I Spy as a character that was very much to my eye a prototype for Mudd.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. EnsignHarper

For those who get Game Show Network, Madelyn "Marla Mcgivers" Rhue is a panelist on the great 70s version of MATCH GAME. Its on at 8 am ET for an hour, and she will be on one more day!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. EnsignHarper

Well that really was his specialty - playing blustering con men or comical authority types. Every actor has their signature bits and mannerisms. Carmel worked a LOT in the 60s, because he had an effective character type he could play.

It will be interesting to see in These Are the Voyages 2, how difficult *ahem* expensive it was to get Carmel for the second Harry Mudd show - when they are writing a show specifically for a character you did, you most likely get a nice payday.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Saw Michael Ansara on Lost In Space a few days ago, playing the ruler of some planet. Though Kurt Russell as his son was a more of a surprise. Unfortunately Kurt Russell was never on Star Trek. He would have been great in "Miri" or "And The Children Shall Lead".

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yup. See post #135 for a picture! :)

18. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yup, that's the one! A very entertaining episode, too. George Takei also appears in that one in a small role.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just saw James Doohan in the 1965 movie The Satan Bug. It was an uncredited, non-speaking part, but he had a fair amount of screen time as, essentially, a redshirt (or rather, the junior member of a pair of ill-fated federal agents). The movie also featured TNG guest star John Anderson, and was scored by Jerry Goldsmith.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  20. EnsignHarper

He is also in The Wheeler Dealers, a 1963 comedy with Lee Remick and James Garner. He is in it at the very end, in the climatic trial scene playing Garner's attorney. He has a few lines, but is uncredited (credits in movies started getting more complete with movies like The Godfather). That scene alone is chock full of familiar TV faces like: John Astin, a pre- Laugh-In Alan Sues - who gets to roll his eyes, Jim Backus, Jack Benny's old bandleader, Phil Harris, and so on. The judge is a guy named Charles Lane, who was THE guy playing business execs, judges and bankers in sitcoms. He was almost in more Bewitched episodes, than some of the cast members. Surprised HE never showed up in Trek -perhaps Nilz Baris. Its on TCM quite a bit, so its worth catching.

Shaka Zulu likes this.