"AGE OF THE HOBBITS": Asylum finally sued for making ripoff movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Posted that very same thing in, as a matter of fact (Well...maybe the part about Smaug is new, but, yea, the rest FSM has posted a few times in The Hobbit thread)

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't know. It seems more to me that New Zealand is desperately trying to cling to the movies' success far, far, FAR more than Warner Brothers is trying to take over a country's government. The latter is just kind of silly since they've been making big movies for decades, whereas New Zealand is a tiny little country that's suddenly getting huge injections of money from its production and tourism due to the movies.

I mean, if the government comes to you asking what they can do to help you make a huge profit and all but throwing themselves at the chance to jump through any hoops you want to hold up, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Yeah, I really don't get a lot of stuff like that. But in this case, it's clear that she named her pub after the fictional race and was intentionally trying to connect her pub with Tolkien's works which have been around far, far longer than 20 years.

Yet, oddly enough, if the owners of the Matrix movie franchise wanted to create a roleplaying game based on the movie, they'd have to get permission from the owners of Shadowrun who've had "Matrix" copyrighted (or trademarked; I always get them confused in cases like this) as the name of a computer network in an RPG since the 80s, even though the term is far more identified with the movies now.

Honestly, I think the whole copyright/trademark thing is way too limiting and restrictive, but at the same time I think its important to have if you're any kind of creative sort. Otherwise people could just rip you off however they liked without any repercussions. And I assure you, if you created something worth being ripped off, you'd be pretty pissed to see that happen whether for you or your heirs.

Then again, Tolkien ripped off old world mythology every which way, and the one race he did almost-kinda-but-not-really invented should all but be public domain in my personal opinion.

That said, how long until it does become public domain? Isn't there a time limit on that stuff?

4. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

I think it's death of the author plus 70 years in the UK. Which would mean that Tolkien's work goes into public domain in 2043.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yes, there is a time limit on stuff goig into Public Domain, but, depending upon who owns it, they often "purchase" extensions. Anything owned by Disney will probably never be allowed to reach it's Public Domain date.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This is the important part. It's not about whether it's a real word or not. Sky and Rim are real words, but I can't make a fantasy based video game called "Sky Rim" without getting called on it.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this in the video store today, does this mean Asylum prevailed with the case?

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Age of the Hobbits as the title? Because it got renamed Clash of the Empires.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, maybe they let them keep the title on the original stock and the later ones have the new title?

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

By this ironclad reasoning the LOTR films can only disappoint.

Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

11. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Transmorphers!

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Any reviews of this movie yet?

For these kinds of movies, the reviews tend to be much more fun reading than seeing the movie itself! :devil:

13. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes there is:
    http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/age-hobbits-2012

Its actually getting 3-4 stars in some of the reviews I have seen, so it seems its better than their usual "quality". Though that might disappoint the hardcore fans of fans of Asylum, who expect it to be that "so bad its funny" kind of thing.

I might check this out myself, since I am fan of Bai Ling:cool:
    plus having Christopher Judge in the cast helps, too.

I have not seen almost any of the Asylum films yet..but I am planning to get few in the future. Its very educational stuff for any film buff. Plus it is sometimes so much fun to just watch some really bad films.

14. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I had ZERO interest in visiting NZ before I saw LOTR.

I went in 2009 and actually spent the bulk of my holiday on a tour run by a couple that have the license to visit LOTR locations and meet with quite a few people that worked on the film.

It's "Red Carpet Tours", btw and they do a FANTASTIC job!

Because of visiting NZ for that reason, I fell in live with the country - it REALLY is THAT beautiful! Breathtaking, in fact!!!

I call bollocks on that percentage!

15. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why, what's it to you?

I admire them, they are having a load of fun, making a ton of cash, and providing steady work for a load of people. Good on them. Half the films they are cashing in on are a load of shit anyway.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Asylum is usually much more careful. But let's face it, even a lawsuit is publicity for them. And when they are faced to change the name, they can always refer back to the legal proceedings to try and confuse the public.

17. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. OP needs to climb down of that high horse and not take life so seriously.

18. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I thought the two Transmorphers movies were ok for really low budget tongue-in-cheek parody movies.

The first one seemed to resemble a low budget version of Starship Troopers, Captain Power, Terminator, etc ...

The second one seemed like a parody of Maximum Overdrive.

Besides the obvious ripoff value, many of The Asylum's movies sorta remind me of "punk rock" style DIY values. :devil:

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But, but, but nobody forces you to watch them.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem with the Asylum films is that they are RIPOFFS. Not that they're bad - people love films that are (often intentionally) bad. But why should Asylum get a free pass on ripping off other films with titles that look to be intentionally made to confuse viewers? And releasing said ripoffs so close to the release dates of the films they target?

I'm sure fans have even bought those things on home video, thinking they ARE the films they ripped off (i.e. somebody buys Transmorphers but thinks it's Transformers). You don't think Asylum is deliberately trying to take advantage of that?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013