Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watching

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Nov 26, 2012.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watch

Maybe he's just a kid trying to find his way in the world. It's not like he's snorting coke off hookers' bellies on the set.

The "tolerance" here is underwhelming.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't tolerate stupidity, particularly publicized stupidity. It would behoove you to realize that "tolerance" doesn't mean "accept everything uncritically, and without question". If he wants to find his way in this world, then perhaps he should do so without dragging down his employer and co-workers with him. There's a good first lesson.

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Laugh tracks are much funnier in dramas.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I lay a lot of blame on the morons who made the video. Even if this kid is just naive and full of cocky dumbness they should have realized that what he was saying had legal ramifications for him. Did they warn him about that I wonder.. or were they too excited to have a famous christian soldier (that terminology is in the video) giving filth the finger.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the old poem: "Pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy"

6. Amaris

I'm going with "Christian Soldier" for all the money, teacake!

7. Mr. Laser Beam

^ One of my favorite hymns is called Onward Christian Soldiers. I've sung it many times. :)

However that does not seem to apply to this kid. If it did, it would have been called Onward, Spoiled Jackasses.

8. Amaris

Onward, somewhat Christian soldier,
    pocketing the checks!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

This kid isn't any kind of a soldier. Soldiers obey orders and respect the chain of command. They don't turn into fuckin' whiners. :rolleyes:

10. Amaris

Onward Christian Whiner...

Seriously. He's unsettled enough to claim the show is filth, that people shouldn't watch it, that he doesn't want to work there, but instead of talking to Chuck Lorre and standing by his principles, he changes his mind and keeps pocketing his paycheck. In the words of Jonas Nightingale, "You don't want to see them suffer, but you want to keep their money. Gee, Gidge, what's a girl to do?"

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

And wave bananas around...

12. Amaris

Hey, you can't deny them. Ya know?

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

All I can say is, I'm glad there was no internet and no cameras pointed at me when I was 19. I shudder to think of the stupid, self-important things I would have said.

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yes. This is just the unfortunate case of someone hitting their angry young man phase while while living a life public enough to be scrutinized by everyone.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He better keep collecting those checks because he's made himself unemployable in Hollywood when his current show ends.

As far as the kid goes, yes we all make mistakes but he's in a high profile position making more money than a normal person could ever use in an economy where many, many people are struggling. At nineteen, if he was thinking these thoughts, he should've pulled back and thought through the possible ramifications of his actions. It's what adults are suppose to do.

16. Amaris

Good point. Here he is, a young up and coming, making serious money on a show he's barely involved in, and he badmouths not only the writing, but the cast and crew as well. No one is going to want to deal with a public whiner who has barely any star power, doing little work, but is making lots of bank. It's bad for business.

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are three issues here.

First, there is the factual question of whether Two and Half Men sells sexual humor. Well, it does. And there's not much else too it, either. Jones wins over a lot of people criticizing him because at least he can recognize a fact.

Second, there's the issue of whether the dirty jokes make the show "filth." Now people might be insulted by someone dissing their taste on moral grounds. They should grow up. On a human level, Jones is either hoaxing or genuininely getting into a very disturbing cult situation. Seeing someone fall for the "Forerunner" is really much more disturbing than getting heated up because someone disapproves of your taste. No, think about it. Jones may be gong off the deep end. How do any mortified feelings compare to that?

Third, there's the outrage over an employee who isn't properly grateful to the boss. This is usually presented as a distaste for hypocrisy, although some posters are forthright enough. But this kid was sent out to get work. (If you really think he made an informed choice to sell his soul to Chuck Lorre, you're out of your mind. My condolences on the bad news.) Going to that set and doing that stuff has been a large part of his whole life. Breaking away is going to be hard to do. If sincere, this video is probably the first step in such a process. Criticizing him for not upending his entire life instantly in my opinion even more narrowminded and meanspirited than calling racy humor "filth." And it's much the same kind of mindset too.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whose "mortified feelings" are you talking about? It is not clear from what you say here.

Two and a Half Men is crass, sexist crap. Forerunner's fundamentalist end times garbage is disturbing abusive crap. The real difference is I don't think Two and a Half Men ever claimed to be anything other that what it is.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't see why they should be required to warn a 19 year old. Nobody warned Charlie Sheen and he probably has even less emotional maturity.

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^It may have escaped your notice, but lots of people are really pissed off about Jones' remarks. If you think it's because they agree with Jones about Two and Half Men, you're wrong. Lots of them are pissed at the insult to their taste, i.e., have "mortified feelings."

If you consider the Forerunner to be so bad (as it happens I agree, though I don't consider him any worse than multitudes of others,) shouldn't you feel pity or worry over Jones? That is, to the extent you do over celebrities you don't personally know.

It really is a stretch to try to find some sort of special grace in Two and a Half Men's supposed lack of pretense. It pretends it's hilarious. I disagree with that nearly as much as I disagree with the Forerunner.

PS ^^^ were aimed at preceding post, but another post got in between. Very sneaky.