Matthew Goode frontrunner for "Superman"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

MovieNewz is reporting that actor Matthew Goode is the frontrunner for Clark Kent/Superman in the Zack Snyder-directed, Christopher Nolan-produced Superman reboot. Goode has worked with Snyder before as Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias in Watchmen and personally I thought he was one of the weakest if not the weakest actor in that film.

Another tidbit the article conjures up is that Superman will be a CGI enhanced character, so Goode doesn't have to worry about bulking up. I don't think Matthew Goode is that good of an actor (and regardless of the material, he WAS the weakest actor in Watchmen- any actor can elevate a mediocre written role), and most importantly of all I don't think he's a good choice for Clark Kent/Superman at all. I'm also not a fan of this stupid "CGI enhancement" idea - Superman doesn't need computer generated enhancement in order to be physically imposing, he needs an actor who can buff up and be physically at the level that is expected and required for Superman. If Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh can have the required physical stature for Superman without the unnecessary need for CGI, then any other actor can have that as well- it just requires some actual physical work.

I guess it also just reinforces my utter disdain for CGI these days- filmmakers like Snyder feel like it should replace something that could be done perfectly without the addition of CGI. It's making lazy films - instead of doing it practically or physically, just have a computer generate the image! It's lazy filmmaking and it annoys the heck out of me.

Then again, I don't really like CGI at all when it's used in these sort of ridiculous situations where it replaces things that could be done without the use of CGI. It's also another reason why I don't like Zack Snyder as a director- he's way too dependent on CGI in my opinion. If this is the direction the film is headed, then I'm probably going to be very disappointed with the film.

2. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ugh. Goode is a terrible, terrible choice and so is a cgi 'enhanced' Superman. This is shaping up to be a disaster of Burton/Cage proportions.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

By far the weakest link in Watchmen, and generally just a bad choice for Superman on almost all fronts. The CGI isn't necessarily a bad move by default though, it just depends on if they can do it with enough subtlety to not look cgi. Seems like half the scenes of him in action in SR were CGI anyways.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The weakest link in WATCHMEN is now the frontrunner for THE MAN OF STEEL? Just cast Brandon Routh already!

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that this is the first time I've heard of the website passing along these rumors, I'm going to take this with an oversized grain of salt.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Please be a rumor with no credibility.
    Please Please Please Please Please.

Ditto for the CGI enhanced bs.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should I just go ahead and post something stupid?

Sure:

Worried.

:lol:

8. ladies and gentlemen............ Zack Snyder's Superman. ;)

9. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I didn't think he was bad perse in Watchmen. He certainly wasn't memorable, but he was far from the worst thing in that movie... actually the only thing that movie had going for it was the cast.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Nah, it was a near-perfect take on the graphic novel.

11. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Meh. I kind of disagree with that. I think that while it was a perfect lift from the comics, the tone got lost in translation.

12. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure we'll get another few dozen actors rumored before this ends.

He was the weakest link in watchmen, although he didn't detract much from what was an excellent movie. Ozymandias didn't seem to get a fair shake in the film however. Ozymandias is my favorite character from the book, so I was saddened.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. The movie was entirely lacking in soul. While Snyder may have succeeded in filming what was often called an impossible project to adapt, he did so only on a technical level, losing all nuance and feeling from the original work. I'm moved by numerous sections of Watchmen every time I read it, but the only part of the movie that I thought was well-done was the opening montage. I was, in fact, bored watching the movie, made even worse by the fact that I saw it at midnight with friends, then saw it again Friday evening because of a girl.

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I second that

15. Admiral Buzzkill

I loved the Watchmen movie. :)

16. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Watchmen movie as well and no problem with this actor.

I wouldn't mind a slightly CGI Superman in that they use motion capture and the CGI kind of augments the costume. In the comics, they can use shadow and texture that do not appear in the movies. So CGI could be used to make the muscles stand out or be more defined. Even Reeve and Routh lost their muscles with that big suit on. They had the bulk, just not the definition if that makes sense.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Amy Adams as Lois then? ;)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

It's hard to say why a guy who derives his strength from an un-human physiology and has been superstrong since birth would have big muscles anyway. It's not like he's ever had to struggle to lift something.

19. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

So did I , just don't want to see this guy as superman and I don't want a cgi superman

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll wait until we get confirmed news from this project as opposed to websites who love posting what they claim to be news from sources.