La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Boy, I'm so excited about this! Do you guys think this will also include the songs from "The Way to Eden"? I guess not, since this will probably only be the scores, but it would be so great if they included them anyway. Well, one can dream.

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am no way near as excited about this release, as I was about FSM's release of The Ron Jones Project. I think this TOS boxset will be far more expensive and I am undecided if I am going to buy.

3. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Or Nichelle Nichols singing her songs like "Beyond Anatares" From "Conscience of the King" And that one from Charlie X. That would be awesome too.

4. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

We played "Far Out Jam" at the panel where we announced this.

Neil

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yes, those would be great, too. But personally I was always more interested in the songs from "Way to Eden", as in-episode some of them are only presented with dialog and/or other filtering sound effects mixed in. For years I've been wanting to get these songs in clear quality.

:eek: So this means we actually will get those gems?! I mean, for real?

This is getting better and better. If those songs are included I will definitely buy this set – whatever the cost.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I will begin saving up for this immediately. I was lucky enough to get TNG's The Ron Jones Project from Amazon at a significant discount, but by then it had been out for something like a year. if this set is even half as good as that one, It'll be worth every penny.

The news article did get one thing wrong however. It said that no music from season three has ever been released. The Empath is represented on the CD that includes Mirror, Mirror and The Trouble With Tribbles. Of course, that's just a minor nitpick. I love the music from season three and consider it some of the finest ever recorded for Star Trek. I listen to the Empath CD all the time. It'll be nice to have all the music from that season.

Hell, it'll be nice to have that set.

7. NebulaClassGuy

NebulaClassGuy Lieutenant Commander

This is an interesting question, and truth be told, IF they were to indeed include them, I would most likely definitely buy the set. But As it is, I already have the current GNP releases for TOS, and those serve me well for now. But I would LOVE to have those "The Way to Eden" songs.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As Indysolo already explained, what the article stated, correctly, was that none of the original recordings of third-season music have ever been released. All the third-season scores that were released on soundtrack albums (originally LPs) from Varese Sarabande and Label X were new performances created for the albums.

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

*Sigh* another boutique project that will likely be WAY overpriced. CBS/Paramount really needs to stop doing this to the fans.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:rolleyes:

Assuming you're working a full time job, how hard is it to put away $20 a week?

I swear, people have such a sense of entitlement these days. God forbid anyone actually save their money for a while instead of having to buy buy buy RIGHT THIS SECOND. And Trek fans are sometimes the worst about it, because there's just such a high ratio of fans who have instant-gratification syndrome. It's why Paramount can charge $150 for a season of TNG when it first came out on DVD - they know the nerds will drop the cash for it.

But this isn't Paramount selling this set, it's La-La Land. And La-La Land has an unblemished record (pun intended) for getting genre-friendly releases out to the fans and usually at affordable prices. The Ron Jones Project was an epic undertaking and given that shortly after its release it was already being bootlegged, we should be on our hands and knees thanking the guys at La-La Land for venturing forth in to another big Trek project like this.

And that's is nothing to say about how the cost of this set is relative to the amount of work that actually went in to producing it. Do you have any idea how much time, effort and work the guys at La-La Land do on any given album they release, let alone a megaset like this? I'm guessing you don't, or you at least haven't taken the time to consider it based on your cavalier, self-absorbed response. Grow the fuck up.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As glorious as am sure it will be out of my price league, and there's no way that will sneak past UK customs without import duty.

Smaller sets I may have considered.

Whilst your post wasn't directed at me, I should say I have no regrets at the price I paid for the DVDs, it was still a great deal cheaper than the videos.

And in fact TNG on DVD was never overpriced. It was just everything else (mostly brand new shows) that were coming out were underpriced, compared to what they should have been. X Files was another people complained about, and is probably to blame for the TNG price. But it was only fractionally more than their (cheap!) VHS releases of the same time. They could hardly release a superior product at a cheaper price. That's where the price stuck. But if you look at all the newer shows, most never had VHS releases, the proven market wasn't there. The Sci-fi audience demonstrated it would pay double figures for two episodes, so why sell them for a fraction of it.

I fully respect why music releases cost what they do.

It's just when I'm asked to spend a lot in one go - saved up or not - I realise I just don't need the music that much. I'm more a collector, than a listener.

For what I would listen to more than once highlights are enough for me. I've got all the single releases and the TNG set, but not the Ron Jones set, and I won't get this.

So I suppose I'm more of a casual listener. Put it this way - I never realised this was a holy grail, I assumed GNP had released most and the rest was just recycled!

Compared to the other Trek, TOS had been rather spoiled already....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

CRAZY!!! I am going to be sooo all over this! :techman:

What a year this is for Star Trek.
    - The complete TMP Soundtrack
    - The release of a gorgeous 1/350 scale Enterprise kit from R2
    - The complete TOS series soundtrack.

Can it get anymore fucking awesome?

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

1) that's a big assumption, and

2) even if it were true, that's still a lot of money.

I admit, that even at a discounted price, a 15 disc set is going to be a bit pricey. Why not split it up into individual volumes so that people could buy it in sections? Or only buy the parts they REALLY want. Why is it "all or nothing"?

And whether it's La-La Land or CBS/Para or whomever, Trek has always been pushed out at a premium price. It's wrong, and they should have more consideration for the fans.

3-4x industry standard MSRP for a season set on DVD (to use another example) is price gouging, pure and simple. Even at a discount, expect to pay at least 2x the going rate.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You really should take an economics class or two. This is an item that obviously will have limited appeal, a luxury item for a particular class of collectors. It's expensive and difficult to make, and they can't be sure it would have enough widespread appeal to let them recoup the expense or make a profit. So they have to present it in a classy enough format that the collectors will be motivated to buy it at a high enough price point to justify the cost of creating this item in the first place.

This is how the world works. Stuff costs money to make. People can't just give stuff away. Just because you can't afford something, that doesn't mean there's some sinister conspiracy to rip you off or gouge you. Sometimes it's just not practical to make it affordable.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It would work out even more expensive for fans to buy the whole lot in sections: each instalment would require packaging, warehousing, postage, handling...

The Ron Jones Project was offered, later, as single disks, IIRC. Eventually, I would think downloads of individual tracks might turn up on iTunes.

When a commercial release is not viable, they have to go "boutique". Do you really think this material would survive as a commercial entity?

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I was out of work in October 2010 (when the Ron Jones set came out) and had been for the previous five months, scraping by on unemployment, trying to find work and get by. And yet having heard of the box set in advance I was able to scrounge up and save my pennies and was able to buy it the day it was released.

You obviously have no idea how this industry works. As has been mentioned, the Ron Jones set was eventually split in to single disc releases, so it's entirely possible that if you wait a little while (dammit, there's that pesky non-instant gratification thing!) you'll be able to get the discs individually.

How can you say La-La Land is "price gouging" when they're the ones who took on the entire cost of researching, rescuing, transferring, remastering, and producing this entire project? You are completely clueless as to the amount of work these guys put in to something like this, let alone a single disc release. This isn't like taking a couple low-grade crappy starship designs and cutting and pasting different parts together to get an even lower-grade, crappier design out of the mix. This is actual work and artistry and the guys at La-La Land should (and will) get commensurate compensation for their efforts.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The sweet thing is, if you don't think it's worth the price you don't have to buy it. Since I'm not much into music... it's not worth the cost to me. So I'll pass.

But even though my wife is the only one working, I put back a little money at a time for TNG season one on blu-ray. And am now working to save money for season two come November.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That really wasn't necessary, 005. You could have made your points without getting personal. "Grow the fuck up" is not cricket.

Infraction for flaming.

PM me if you have any comments. Thanks.

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the set goes for $220, that's roughly $14 a disc. Had they released them individually, the minimum price for a single disc would have been $20. Considering everything going into the set and what we're getting, I consider it reasonable. Priced out of the range of some people, unfortunately yes. I'll be saving my Quatloos. I've got until November.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

No one is asking for them to "give it away", Christopher. But is it too much to ask them to be reasonable with their prices?

I have yet to see you criticize a marketing decision by CBS/Paramount where Trek is concerned. You always say those voicing complaints are "unreasonable". Can the studio do no wrong in your eyes?