What Enterprise is the better design part 2 ?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stardate, Jan 10, 2008.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well - they're by a nose so far. Sovvy rates for me.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Galaxy gives the impression of "techonology unchained" as Roddenberry wanted it. The engines are small because, well, since TOS the technology got better and we don't need honking huge nacelles any more. The Sovereign looks like a car that's been fitted with spinners, too much chrome, oversized tailpiles and a spoiler just to look badass...but underneath, it's still a Nissan...

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People,

Looks like the Sovereign and Galaxy are almost neck-and-neck in the poll!

I picked the Sovereign, even though I don't like the class name. Wish they had named it Enterprise class; then we would have had a canon reference to such a class. As I understand it, the NCC-1701-A has been dubbed "Enterprise-class" by fans, even though I believe there's no spoken dialogue indicating this.

Red Ranger

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

See Enterprise-Class sign for the specific trainer used by trainees preparing to serve on a refit in TWOK. Or see other 'what enterprise' thread.

5. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I picked the Galaxy Class because it is new concept. Firstly, they shouldn't have destroyed her in GEN. Secondly, I think because they were trying to just evoke the lines of the TOS-refit Enterprise that I don't like the E-E.

6. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Is one of the reasons I love the E-E

7. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always liked the Ent D from most angles. But viewed from below where the saucer section's oblong shape is emphasized, it waddles. That's the word that comes to mind. The Sovereign class is a little better.

8. martin

martin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We all know the Intrepid class (Voyager) is the best looking starship, now if only it had the Enterprise E colour scheme...

9. Maurice

^^^BZZZZZT!

10. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a toughy one....

I liked both designs equally.

I went for the Galaxy Glass because it was big and had 42 decks lol

11. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

To me, it doesn't work because TNG wasn't TOS. And the E-D fit perfectly with that vision in style and practicality.

But for the movies, TNG went for the "kewl" quotient and abandoned it's vision that made it popular on TV, including a newer TOS looking ship. It was no longer TNG for me, and why the E-D is the better...

12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I like both ships. I think I base my preference for the D based on visualizing it a lot longer, and also despite the claims of having few good angles, I find it quite beautiful in both Bridge Commander and Legacy and wish there was an exploration RPG using the D model.
    The E rocks, though.

13. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

The Nebula class looks great but never got a chance to carry the flag.

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Galaxy. Hands down.

I have NEVER understood the problems people have with the Galaxy. It conveys a definite sense of grandness and it's proportioned the way it is for a reason. The original disx foot model is absolutely beautiful. Besides, what does top-heaviness have to do with ANYTHING in space? It has a few bad angles but so does the Sovereign, and the Galaxy also lacks the 'OMG kewlness!' that the Sovereign was clearly meant to evoke. In-universe, one can ration away their, um, distinct differences by their distinctly different purposes.

I liked the Sovereign more when it was first introduced.

But then again I was 11 when I first saw it.

:rommie:

15. mattwitz

mattwitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought the Galaxy looked kind of off, the proportions were never quite right and the shots they showed of her in TNG were never that good...athough that might just be the bad special effects. I always liked the sovereign because it's a little bit edgy and sooo much sleaker than the galaxy, which looks squats and fat next to the sovereign.

16. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

See my problem with the D, other than how ugly it was, is that it didn't even look like it was from the same universe as Kirk and company. Should have looked more futuristic but not like a completely different universe.

The E was getting back to what came before and as a logical extension of that.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer the Galaxy. And I think a big reason most do (as of this writing) is we had seven seasons and a movie - or most of one - to get to know her. We didn't get to know the Sovereign as well.

I might like the Ent-E more if it had some bit of a connecting dorsal, even if minimal. It reminds me too much of Voyager with the dorsal completely removed and the secondary hull directly mated to the primary hull.

18. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sovereign Class is without a doubt the most beautiful ship design on Star Trek.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Top-heaviness has to do with aesthetic appreciation, which is probably more important to a TV show than whether or not it works in space.

20. Maurice

Try comparing a F22 to a bi-plane fighter from 78 years earlier. See? They both have wings and cockpits and engines, but they're more different than the TOS ship and the D.