Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's reasons like this that I haven't pre-ordered yet. It'd be just my luck that they somehow lose my name off of the database when they get access to it again but then start charging me anyway. I will pre-order at some point closer to launch though.

2. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today's news is that CBS Studios has allowed Eaglemoss to produce ships from the JJ-films as Specials. So a USS Vengeance looks entirely possible at the moment. They already had the USS Enterprise and Kelvin planned, so I guess this will allow them to do more.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Very cool. The more the merrier. Still wish they would do a Centaur though... :)

4. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And an Andorian.

5. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Yes there a few noteworthy omissions

* There are no Federation shuttles or shuttlepods, save for the Delta Flyer (if that fits your definition of a "shuttle"). No workbees or inspection pods either. However, the Vulcan shuttle and Reman Scorpion are on the list.
    * Daedelus
    * Soyuz
    * USS Pasteur
    * No kitbashes from Wolf 359 or the DS9 "frankenstein fleet". Not big losses there but a few like the Centaur, the Niagara and the New Orleans would be ok
    * Neghvar
    * D7 cruiser
    * Cardassian freighter
    * Merchantman
    * Xindi arboreal / Tellarite ship
    * Xindi primate or Degra's ship
    * Xindi superweapon
    * Whorfin / Lakul
    * Kazon raider
    * Renegade Borg/Lore vessel
    * Xhosa freighter
    * The Andorian Kumari
    * The Aeon
    * THe Dauntless
    * any TOS remastered ships - the Antares, the Aurora, the Medusan ship
    * any Abramsverse ships (except the Kelvin, which technically is from the Prime universe)
    * A wide assortment of more interesting "alien of the week" vessels.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  6. t_smitts

-They ARE doing the Dauntless

-Daedalus was never really seen except as a desk model or a picture in the Chronology and Encyclopedia. I don't see them doing anything with that.

-Soyuz wasn't a bad look, but I don't see them just sticking a tailhook on a Reliant mold to give us that.

-I'm surprised they're not doing the D7, but it's been done before and done really well, so I'm not bothered too much. Galoob did a nice Negh'Var and Pasteur as well, so I'm fine

-I agree about the Kumari, the Merchantman, and the Groumall, (also the Jenolen).

-I'm kind of ambivalent about any Kazon ships (especially since, again, Galoob already did them). The Xindi were more memorable, but I'm sort of ambivalent about doing any more of the ships than have already been done. I don't really want the superweapon. Looks too much like a Borg Sphere to bother.

-Lakul? Meh. Xhosa? Meh.

-Aeon, maybe, but there's one's I'd rather have.

-Apart from the Breen ship, asymmetrical ships tend to look rather unpleasant to the eye, so I have no real interest in the rogue Borg ship.

-I'm glad they're not filling up a lot of slots with shuttles that could be filled by a ship instead. In fact it always bugged me that Micro Machines did a Spacedock shuttle, but not the Merchantman. I see the runabout and Delta Flyer on the list. That's enough, if you ask me.

-Centaur's about the only kitbash I'd care to see. New Orleans was only barely glimpsed as wreckage, so I don't see them doing anything with it. The rest are a mess and I do NOT want.

-I might agree with the remastered ships.

-They're already doing the alt-Enterprise and the Kelvin. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Narada and the Vengeance down the road.

-Frankly, there weren't too many alien-of-the-week ships that left an impression on me (particularly on Voyager), and there are other recurring ships or ones from major races (see above) that I'd give priority to.

7. Hawkke

Hawkke Ensign Red Shirt

8. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I also see a Karemma ship, which wasn't on the original list.

9. Kevman7987

Could the next American that pre-orders from the US website please post here or PM me when they get their confirmation email?

I want to pre-order, but I'm not trusting of doing that while their "American subscriber database" is down (if it still is). I don't trust my info getting through while they're having problems with the website.

There is already so much difference between the 70+ ships on their "provisional list" and the 23 revealed so far on their "US list" that it wouldn't surprise me there ends up being more difference between what they originally announced and what they do release.

Hopefully, if I had my way, they'd end up doing way more than the 70+ and the series would just continue on ad infinitum.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. Hawkke

Hawkke Ensign Red Shirt

Given proper revenue and production ability it would probably be a cash cow, especially with some tv coverage.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If only I could win publiusr's clearing house...

12. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it sells, it will go beyond the original number. Eaglemoss' Marvel Figurine Collection was originally slated to go for 60 issues. Including unnumbered specials, it went to over 200!

13. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today's news was just a screen shot (feat. the Prometheus) to show how they take the 3D file, compare it to the CG model, and then go to the tooling of the actual model. Link in my Sig.

Editor's Note: I think the fact t hat that they are using the actual 3D CG model files of these ships (where available) to make the final die-case/plastic models is what is gonna set this collection apart from a lot of the others, in that they'll probably be a bit more accurate than others.

14. 137th Gebirg

Agreed. It sounds like they'll be limited only as much as the resolution of the 3d printers they're using to make the masters. Really excited about this. I just wish their customer database wasn't so flaky.

15. Kevman7987

I'm really excited about these because they should be the most detailed ships ever released at their size.

I'm happy about the stands they are using too, won't have those giant holes in the bottom of the ships where stands usually plug into.

16. t_smitts

Actually, something just occurred to me.

3-D printers will surely come down in price in a couple of years to the point where can, if not buy one, perhaps rent one, or maybe go to a store and use one in the way people use printing and copying stores.

When that happens, I could see some fans creating high-resolution files of ships that you could download and then feed into a 3-D printer and have it make just about any ship or model (not just Star Trek) that you want.

The possibilities would be almost endless.

17. 137th Gebirg

Yep...it's only a matter of time. I'm personally looking forward to printing a half-studio scale TOS battlestar someday. That would make me a very happy camper. :)

18. Kevman7987

I wouldn't make my ship models big. I find larger sized models harder to "play" with when I'm sitting at my desk. The Hot Wheels/Eaglemoss sizes are perfect for the amount of detail I like and the size I like.

I'd make myself the Earth ships from Stargate equally sized (which happens to be 1:1 scale) with the Hot Wheels TOS Enterprise.

19. 137th Gebirg

Heh...my aging eyes can't appreciate smaller models like they used to. For the past few years, I see folks talking about building 1:1000 and 1:2500 scale kits like it's a good thing, with the scales getting smaller and smaller, as I'm looking for scales at 1:500, 1:350 or bigger. Granted, the TOS G is the exception there, as it's supposed to be one nautical mile in length - so a 1:1000 probably would be around half-studio scale, which would suit me quite nicely. :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. Kevman7987

To each his own. :techman: