Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

similar to the idea of Star Trek TOS "The Menagerie" being in cinemas in 2007 for two nights would you be willing to pay to see "Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot) in cinemas after a HD restoration with new visual effects?

CBS Home Entertainment could guage fan interest in a TNG-R by doing a limited engagement cinema screening of 2 or 3 days which the tickets would help pay for a TNG-R of the best episodes for a Blu-ray release.

Which would you rather see in the cinema if you had a choice of only these two episodes for TNG-R:
    "Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot)
    "The Best of Both Worlds" (part 1&2)

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't imagine the ROI of a TNG remastering would be high enough to warrant such a project on all 178 episodes.

3. jefferiestubes8

FalTorPan it's been mentioned a number of times on this thread of fan collectives/best ofs being something that real fans would consider purchasing on Blu-ray. CBS Home video would only be doing it for a Blu-ray or HD download though as they wouldn't get syndication of it if an entire season were not done in HD.

4. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can they also CGI the women's hair to make it look less outrageous?

5. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

No one would pay to see Encounter at Farpoint. It's ruddy awful.

6. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

I think a better choice would be a remastered "The Best of Both Worlds" for a one or two night engagement.

7. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

If they start transferring & editing the 35mm footage & adding 1080 CGI redo-FX right now, they should be done by 2017.

8. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would not really be interested at all in seeing Encounter at Farpoint in the theaters. I would pay to see BOBW in HD at the cinema though!

9. SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt Ensign Red Shirt

Honestly I think it'd be a bad way to gauge interest. What they'd be trying to gauge is the casual fan's interest. I know for sure that if they did this every theater would sell out with hardcore fans, but that wouldn't tell you how well ratings or sales for the blurays would do. They screen movies at comic conventions all the time to thunderous applause that do horribly in the theaters, take Mallrats for instance.

10. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Redoing all of TNG may be too expensive, but maybe they should test it out on a couple of standout eps before they decide to go ahead and remaster the whole lot.

I'd pay to see BOBW with new effects, for example.

11. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I've posted in this thread before on why it's OK to go the STAR WARS route and not the timid TMP route, but I haven't considered these factors until now:

1) In one of the remastered episodes, some odd-looking Klingon ship is replaced by a D7. Likewise, the finalized Ambassador class is an odd-looking ship, and was cobbled up at the last minute without due consideration of Probert's model. A wholesale CGI replacement of this ship with the Probert model would allow for its later presence in a remastered DS9.

2) The Excelsior simply made too many appearances. Before the third season, the Excelsior was not scaled properly and looked too big. In the very first episode, the Excelsior model was a poor substitute for what should have been the first appearance of the Probert model, and this was indeed the initial plan. I mean, Admiral Nechayev commanding a task force with more advanced ships from a mere Excelsior-class ship? Also for consideration is the Enterprise-B/Lakota variant, which should appear more often.

3) Upscaling the Klingon Bird of Prey was just downright ridiculous, too. There is a reason why DS9 never used the so-called "K'vort class" Bird of Prey.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

1. Although I understand what you're saying here, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Enterprise-C was odd-looking, or
    that it "was cobbled up at the last minute without due consideration of Probert's model." While time was indeed tight, there were budgetary considerations that prompted how the finished model ended up looking. It had nothing to do with an ignorance of Probert's design. However, any remastering would undoubtedly still make use of the finished design because the interior displays and diagrams would have to match the exterior shots.

2. Agree with you 100%, although IMHO it was seen far, far more (and far, far too much) in DS9 than it ever was in TNG.

3. I'll even go one better: The Klingon BoP should never have been seen in the TNG era at all. By that time, the design would have been extremely outdated, and would have posed no threat to a more advanced vessel like a Romulan Warbird.

13. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Well, I would include CGI edits of interior displays and diagrams. The end result is that First Contact and perhaps Nemesis will be the only TNG footage to contain any references to the finished Ambassador model. ;)

You cheated by including the space battles shots. The fleets of Excelsiors were fine there. :p

On the Excelsior, whatever is left of its appearances in TNG should be modified somewhat to resemble the Enterprise-B and Lakota. :D

I actually like the smaller BoP myself, which was appropriate for episodes like "Unification" and DS9's "Once More Unto The Breach" (the episode on Kor's heroic death). The bigger BoPs should be replaced by another warship design in between the battlecruiser and the Vor'cha.

The funny thing is that the Enterprise-era BoP looks like it has more weapons than the original Movies-era model. :(

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

General Martok's ship (the IKS Rotarran) was a K'vort-class.

15. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

The Rotarran was scaled to the original BoP size. I vividly remember seeing it speeding away side by side with the Defiant in "Call to Arms." Anyway, according to Ex Astris there are five or six sizes for the BoP, which is ridiculous enough.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  16. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

Putting TNG on blu-ray is inevitable. Star Trek is still one of the most popular and well-known franchises ever made, and there's lots of money to be had here.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, but is there *enough* money to justify the massive amounts of work? It would take a lot longer than TOS-R did (I'm guessing at least 5 years, and that's assuming that they can farm out the work to multiple outlets so as to work on many episodes at once), and also the actual amount of work would be much greater. The ROI may not be enough.

I can definitely see a HD 'fan collective' or two, but not necessarily the entire series.

I think that Enterprise will be the next Trek series to make it to Blu-Ray. There's fewer episodes, and they're closer to HD-ready (the show has even aired in native HD).

18. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

No doubt that Enterprise is ready for blu-ray, with everything about it being in HD.

I suspect that TNG will be able to make a lot of money remastered in HD, especially if they release it in syndication like they did with TOS.

19. jefferiestubes8

while nothing official this The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Volume 2 review mentions this:

20. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's just more speculation/wishful thinking.

Doug