What is "The Fall"?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Freman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Legally? Where is CHRISTOPHER?!

2. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope David Mack's book is about the Aventine

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^I'd like Sisko and Dax to appear together; I don't think any book has shown them talking since Warpath.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Check the copyright page on the 2009 movie novelization or one of the IDW Abramsverse comics. They say they're copyrighted by CBS Studios Inc. and Paramount Pictures Corporation, not Bad Robot. Bad Robot is the production company, but they make it under license from the owners of the property, just like Filmation did with the animated series -- or, in a sense, like Pocket does with the novels and IDW does with the comics.

As I said, it's hypothetically possible that a tie-in publisher might not have the license to tell stories based on a given part of the canon; but even if that were the case, I think the publisher would still be constrained from contradicting any major element of the canon, even a part they couldn't specifically reference. For instance, IDW doesn't have a VGR license but I doubt they could claim that "Endgame" never happened.

5. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

I see DS9 and TTN in 2 books does that mean the rest are just Picard's Enterprise crew?

6. Christopher

^No, I think they're a variety of things, not all of which conform to a single series.

7. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Thanks. So like with the original TP novels, we'll be able to discern which series they will be predominantly with.

Are the Aventine adventures considered part of DS9?

8. Christopher

There's no formal classification, but I see the Aventine more as a free-ranging "guest star" ship that generally appears in combination with ships and characters from other series. It was in Destiny along with the TNG and TTN casts, Zero Sum Game with DS9 characters, and Brinkmanship with the TNG cast. Even A Singular Destiny can be considered a crossover with the Bacco administration and Corps of Engineers, among other guests. There's never actually been an "Aventine novel" per se.

I guess you could say it's the ship/crew equivalent of a character like Gul Evek, who appeared in Maquis-related stories on TNG, DS9, and VGR, or Q, who appeared at least once on all three series and was recurring on two of them. Not series-specific, but a common element of the shared universe.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Christopher

Okay... so book 1 is DS9, book 2 is TNG/Garak, book 3 is DS9/Aventine, book 4 is Titan, and book 5 is TNG. That's more series-specific than I thought. Although that may be an oversimplification in some cases.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked David Mack's handling of Bashir and Ezri in ZSG so I'm looking forward to seeing him write them again.

12. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

"It's more guidelines than what you'd call actual rules."

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome, I was so excited for this series and now David Mack is doing DS9 and the Avetine. Great news. Can't wait for this series.

14. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Same here! I'm glad there is still some time before they come out, though, as that will allow me time to get caught up on my Typhon Pact and Cold Equations, plus I still need to read Fallen Gods.

15. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same position I am in, I have 6 books left to read in Pact and Cold Equations, but will see if caught up by time The Fall comes out.

16. Ben

Ben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Let the speculation begin!

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2013/02/new-details-on-fall.html

I'm going to spoiler-tag this just in case.

Picard and his crew are dispatched to uncover the truth behind a “prominent figure within the Federation” who’s emerged onto the interstellar stage. It’s discovered that said individual may well be perpetrating a hoax as to their true identity, and has been doing so for years. This kind of sucks, since this person is now in a position to wield enormous power within the Federation.

So...

Any thoughts on who this imposter could be? Any chance this is following up on what PAD set up for Admiral Nechayev in the recent New Frontier books?

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will be very pleased if that particular thread isn't left unresolved.

18. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

This question has probably already been answered elsewhere, but...how do we know that the Hobus Supernova as depicted in the 2009 movie will occur in the Trek literature continuity? For example, do we know if the supernova was a naturally-occurring phenomena, or was it caused by some external event that can be altered in future Trek lit?

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek XI established that the supernova happens in the Prime Timeline, and since novel continuity has to remain consistent with everything establshed onscreen about the Prime Timeline, it has to depict the supernova exactly as Trek XI did.

20. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I do agree: although it's the nuances that matter: there is so much ambiguity in the Hobus narrative in ST (and of course it's told in first person, which is unreliable, etc, etc).

But to be cheeky, trek lit "exactly" being the same "exactly" as used in The Good that Men Do?

(and just to ask - are googlebooks links legal? Last time i used scribd, and that wasn't so cool)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013