DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Snyder is putting in elements from Beyond. There was also I think the Powers who were part of the Court of Owls.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Both Bat books were great this week. Honestly, I'm not even sure which one I liked better. I'm gonna consider Tomasi's last couple arcs just a fluke. I'm so glad I decided not to drop Batman and Robin like I had planned after Death of the Family. Oh yeah, and seeing the Beyond suit in Batman was such a treat.

I was weak and couldn't stop myself from reading Green Lantern Corps #20. So yeah, one major bit of fallout from whatever happens in Green Lantern #20 is spoiled. Namely
    the death of the Guardians.
    I'm happy to see that happen, though. It's been a very long time coming. This should lead to some interesting possibilities for the Corps moving forward. It's just a shame that after this issue reaffirms how much Guy needs the Green Lantern Corps, that we already know he'll be leaving it next issue.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah he introduced the Powers family in Court of Owls, I think it was even "Batman #1" IIRC.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, that confused me at first too.

5. Admiral_Young

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'm annoyed with Carrie Kelly at the moment.

For one thing, I don't see what she has in common with the Frank Miller character beyond the name. I really feel like they're using the name "Carrie Kelly" just to use it.

And the other thing, she reminds me, personality-wise, of Stephanie Brown, if Stephanie didn't know the Bat-family's secret identities, far more than she reminds me of Carrie.

I almost wonder if Tomasi wanted to use Stephanie for this arc and when he was told no he simply replaced her with another character but gave the character the same attributes. It wouldn't be the first time this happened in the past two years.

8. OdoWanKenobi

^I would be willing to bet that's exactly what happened.

I'm really wondering what the heck Didio's vendetta against Stephanie is. It's like nobody is even allowed to mention her.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm getting so sick of hearing about Brown that I'm hoping they bring her back and cut her head off in the second panel she appears in.

10. OdoWanKenobi

I get it though. She's a fan-favorite character that has completely disappeared following the New 52. That alone isn't the problem, since there's plenty of those, but the fact that DC Editorial seems absolutely unwilling to talk about her, along with the reports that writers have been banned from using her, is what really gets people in a huff.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I get that people are in a huff, I get that but it's starting to remind me of when you couldn't move for Brown-tongues telling you had to see serenity.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not a vendetta. He is following his editorial philosophy that dictates for well known comic properties only the most well known versions should be kept around and the lesser well known version should be either dumped into limbo or killed off or given some other role.

It's why he wanted Nightwing killed off in Infinite Crisis. He felt his evolution away from Robin was a mistake. The same for Wally West as Flash and Kyle as Green Lantern.

13. OdoWanKenobi

Then why isn't Wally West the Flash, or John Stewart the main Green Lantern? They were the ones in the Justice League cartoon which is the biggest exposure either of those characters have had in decades. Do you know how many times I heard people asking me why Green Lantern wasn't black when the movie was coming out? Growing up, Wally West was my Flash. Barry Allen was some guy that died before I was born.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And Didio feels otherwise.

15. OdoWanKenobi

I'm sure he does. I'm just pointing out the holes in the logic.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Depends on the "data" used to support the logic. Didio probably isn't looking at the ratings of an animated series when determining which version is the most well known.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes me wonder where data that would lead one to believe anyone let alone most people would know who Barry Allen is.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is annoying, because I like it when characters change and develop. I thought it was kind of cool that they were actually willing to let characters die or move on to a new superhero identity and then let another character take over.

19. Admiral_Young

I know for me it's not really the fact that DC isn't using Steph, or the other characters that are MIA right now, but the fact that they continually don't want to talk about it or are unwilling to talk about why they're not using them that bugs me.

I get that they don't have to...but they're fan favourite characters as was mentioned above and it would go along way to improve DC's PR image right now if they simply addressed this and got it over with instead of avoiding talking about it altogether.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that's not what Geoff Johns grew up with.

The moves to bring back Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and the pre-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes make perfect sense when you think about what DC was publishing when Geoff Johns was a little kid buying comics at the 7-11. Today's DCU is based on Johns' memories of the Bronze Age.