THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Review floodgates oPening in 90 minutes :)

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Stephen Colbert is hosting a Hobbit week on his show (Sir Ian, Martin Freeman, and Peter Jackson).

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Colbert may have just become the first person to say "Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo!" and "Fall of Gondolin" on TV... :lol: :techman:

4. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I thought the exact same thing and was equally surprised when I reread the book. In fact, there was a lot of things I forgot about like how many animals that speak in the novel (not just the eagles and spiders, but also all of Beorn animal servants).

Precisely. During my reread, I specifically looked out for instances of exposition or dialogue being glossed over and there's a lot of that and not just the Battle of the Five Armies or traveling through Mirkwood. A lot of conversation between important characters such as Beorn, The Master of Lakewood, Bard, Thranduil, even Elrond, are glossed over that can easily be expanded upon. Additionally, Thorin, Balin, and Bombur have the vast majority of the dialogue amongst the dwarves, some of whom don't speak at all (or doing anything other than being part of the Company).

Awesome. I'll be sure to watch each of those episodes online.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So exciting to see all of these reviews hitting! :D

I'll get our grading thread up on the 6th, a week before the movie opens in the UK. :techman:

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I bought tickets for my son and I to see it in IMAX 3D on the 22nd.

Will be avoiding this thread until then.

Enjoy!

:beer:

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those reviews are all just so-so so far. I wonder how much Armond White is going to hate this one.

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Probably because it's going to be just like Lord of the Rings was in its storytelling, but people are going in with rose-colored glasses under the horribly incorrect notion that LotR was a bad ass action thrill ride from start to finish. Which it wasn't. A great deal of it was actually pretty dull and drawn-out, especially with the first installment, which is exactly where the majority of the negativity in the reviews are coming from about the Hobbit.

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I find it interesting that a critique of the film is that it too closely follows the structure of, say, Fellowship:

Link

But that neglects the fact that Tolkien's LOTR trilogy is, mostly, an expanded version of his Hobbit story. In any case, more worrisome to me are the comments about pacing, particularly during the opening sections of the film. I do wonder if the reviewers allowed themselves to simply enjoy the scenes set in Bag End, as opposed to wanting to see the adventure happening sooner. I seem to recall similar critiques about FOTR and how the Hobbiton scenes were its weakest. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed them and if the Bag End scenes strike a similar tone, then chances are I'll have to disagree with those critiques.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

73% @RottenTomatoes at the moment. What worries me is the fact that none of the critics seem to be particularly blown away by it. Even the ones who are counted as "fresh" call it "unexciting", "not as good as you hoped", "unable to recapture the greatness of LOTR" etc. ComingSoon.net even went as far as to compare it with The Phantom Menace.

BTW:
    [​IMG]

I nearly pissed myself! :lol:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. Greylock Crescent

It's quite possible that AUJ won't be as good as any of the LOTR films ... but it'd have to miss the mark by a pretty wide margin before it fell into even average territory (at least for me).

It's kinda like meeting up with old friends after a decade has passed. No way will it live up to the "glory years" but it can be fun to reconnect - and exciting to look forward to.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well OF COURSE it won't be as good as LOTR. It's the prelude to that story. It's the setup. It's not as big as important. That's why they made LOTR first and not the Hobbit. What I hope it's going to be is a nostalgic return to the LOTR franchise that's an enjoyable romp. It's not going to be about the fate of Middle Earth or anything. It's not going to have huge insane massive battles like LOTR did.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

The book itself was initially a standalone story. LOTR wasn't published until 1954, 17 years later.

It IS going to have the battle of the five armies, which is going to be pretty fucking grandiose, you can be sure of that.

16. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Greylock Crescent

^ Awesome! I enjoyed the humor. Seeing Radagast was fun (despite his lack of lines in the clip). Freeman seems very comfortable as Bilbo.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Charles Atlas. :lol:

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Battle of 5 Armies is not going to be as big as the ROTK battles... though I guess it would be bigger than Helm's Deep.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

IMO battle of Helm's Deep was ten times more thrilling than the clusterfuck that was battle of the Pelennor Fields.