Star Trek end credits and soundtrack discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Re: Soundtrack -what do you think about it?

Well, I'm not a fan of Michael Giacchino's work in general, and his Star Trek work is no exception. I found it very bland.

2. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I love the recurring theme, it's simplistic and stays with you.

I don't very much care for the rest, while it was good as a musical score; as something to actually listen to it's not for me -- even though I love a lot of different genres, most musical scores tend to fall flat when there's no movie to accompany it.

In fact, the only soundtrack I ever liked to listen to 'out-of-context' is the soundtrack from the game (gasp!) Fable by Russel Shaw. Really, you should try it (You can listen to a small sample here at Amazon -- unfortunately, the best moments aren't in the samples). Especially the second song on the album; Oakvale. Close your eyes, start the music and you'll believe yourself a kid in an ideal, green village with lots of friendly neighbors and not a problem in the world.

3. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I didn't mean to suggest that we should have those themes in this film, just that they were almost instantly hum-alongable. I kind of miss such instantly hum-it-while-you-leave-the-theatre themes, is what I meant.
    Ooooh, me too!
    9 min 11 sec. -yeah, I wholeheartedly agree! - But then "End Credits" are always the best part of OST's

4. sto vo kor

sto vo kor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid that the soundtrack didn't do it that much for me. It really needs the scenes to go along with it, though "To Boldly Go" is still great and I like the new Star Trek theme.

6. HamTard

HamTard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love the main (Kirk?) theme. I keep humming it.

7. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

I am 1/2 way through it, at 'Nice to Meld with You'.
    Affirmative. I like it.

-And FINALLY, Chorus Chanting worthy of the Borg or Darth Maul!

8. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it, even though MG borrowed a Lost theme, can't remember which scene in the movie at the moment, but it's the theme on Lost when 'a journey' is about to take place, at the end of 'Follow the Leader' for example.

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I would've prefered to have had a bit more of the Enterprise theme.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found myself consciously enjoying it while watching the film but there was no "omg I have to get this soundtrack" thought. I will be listening closer with my next viewing. At this point I don't think it translates into something I want to listen to outside of the movie.

Memories of playing my STAR WARS [ANH] double record all summer, and the smell of the black album cover with Darth Vader on it come flooding back.. that was great stuff a long time ago in another world. I'd love to hit that level of muscial love with a Trek film.

11. trekkiedane

THAT'S IT! -it sounds as if a bored John Williams wrote it.

Very good, very professional, very loud, but somewhat lacking...

12. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

Well, I liked the music as the movie played, and listened to the soundtrack a few hours later. Still lovin' it.
    The dramatic 'choir of angels' has been an underused color in Trek's musical history. Even on Mr. William's off day.

13. trekkiedane

After yet another merging of soundtrack threads (sorry, I did try to look for other threads, but my search of "soundtrack" and "OST" on the first handfull of pages didn't turn up anything.) I feel like I need to comment on a couple of things I read in the previous threads:

"Film music" -or- Original SoundTrack(s) (as I prefer: in order to differentiate between pop-music that happens to appear in films and the music written for the film itself to be part of the general artwork of a movie.) is also a great love of my life.
    Usually the "End Credits" part of an OST has the same value as an Overture had to music in the old days; samples of the major themes are put together in a single piece that is able to stand alone and represent the whole work.

There is no better way to prepare for a film than listening to the OST, It won't 'spoil' you as it can only purvey the emotions, not the action, in the film.
    I live a walk of about 12 minutes from the theatre that showed the film: perfect for the End Credits! :) - really got me in the mood too!
    I kind of agree with the less original part of what I'm reading there, but the music fit the films so I'm not really sure whom to blame!
    Wow, you put it to words! - that did have a totally different quality to it, that I haven't been able to put my finger on... You can tell it's a Star Trek score even though it doesn't sound like any other. :bolian:
    Indeed, the pastorale(?) was just perfect.

14. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw the movie twice now. The first time I didn't really focus to much on the score. The second time I concentrated on it and thought it was very fitting for the movie. I really like the new "Enterprise"-Theme. It's simple but sounds really majestic. I bought the soundtrack yesterday and have really fallen in love with the music. "Labor of Love" and especially "Enterprising Young Men" are fantastic tracks. I think the score works without the movie. I was also a little bit surprised that the movie did not use more of the original themes, but I guess it makes sense. New era, new music.

15. PointedEars04

PointedEars04 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I heard the soundtrack before seeing the movie. When first listening to the soundtrack, the Courage theme sounded out of place, perhaps because I am so used to the Goldsmith theme to finish off a Trek movie.

That all went away when I saw the movie. When the movie ended, and the credits began to role, I thought how only the Courage theme was appropriate to end this film. Like most of this movie, the OST fits perfectly with everything else.

16. crohnie

crohnie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

While watching the movie, I decided to buy the soundtrack as soon as I had the chance. The score really worked well in the movie for me.

But I think the soundtrack itself is pretty short and repetitive.

It still sounds epic though.

17. trekkiedane

I must admit that the score is growing on me; It's not really as bad as I first thought.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Soundtrack is currently $9.97 at Deep Discount with free shipping option and no tax depending on where you live (I think).

19. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I still keep humming the new main theme...

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

The first time I saw the movie, I thought the music was a little confusing; but by the second time I saw the movie, that theme was worming its way into my head. It is insidious.

So today I had to have it and went out and bought it, and now my craving is being satisfied. For the moment. I'm going to have to see the movie again next week.