FLASH series being developed for The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 30, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd much rather just see a fun, action-packed Flash movie myself. I'm not really interested in seeing him get the Smallville/Arrow treatment, and sticking him in yet another moody CW soap opera with yet another complex mythology.

Not to mention that I just can't see them doing anything terribly flashy or cool with his powers on a TV budget (at least not judging by the cheesy superspeed effects we saw on Smallville).

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am interested to see how a TV show would be handled. I am alo happy they are still doing the Flash movie, But I wonder if that is overkill?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I question the premise that there's such a thing as "the Smallville/Arrow treatment." Despite their superficial similarities, I find them very different shows.

I guess you haven't seen the 1990 Flash TV series, then. They did some very impressive visual-effects work for their time. Although that may be a matter of budget.

And actually I think Smallville did some pretty impressive work when it went into Clark's accelerated POV and did things in a bullet-time slow-motion style. I often felt that would make a lot of sense for showing the Flash's powers, since his own perceptions are similarly accelerated. That's one thing the '90 show didn't do -- since The Matrix hadn't happened yet -- so it could be a good way to differentiate this Flash show from that one.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fuck tone.

I want Ollie to skewer Supermen and Superwomen.

It's hilarious.

GODS brought low by a bow and arrow kit.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

All I have to say is: If it's about another whiny teenager version of a DC hero, Ya'll can have it.

6. davejames

Maybe, but neither one are really the kind of thing I want to see for a Flash series. The tone would probably have to be a lot lighter and more fun than anything the CW typically does.

I remember liking the original superspeed effect they used in the 90s series, but after awhile they switched to just drawing a simple red blur behind him-- which is basically the same thing they did on Smallville, and which I just thought looked cheesy as hell.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Big Red Cheese is someone else entirely.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This could be pretty cool. At first I was excited because I thought it meant they might be adding superpowers to Arrow, but after reading some of the quotes and comments on here I'm wondering if they'll save the superpowers for the Flash series. But, it would mean that there are superpowers in this version of the DCUniverse at least.
    I wonder if the Amazon show takes off after this starts, if they'll then use this to set it up like they're using Arrow for this. I would love to see a big interconnected DCU on The CW. Even though superhero movies tend to be some of my favorites, I do still think that comic book adaptations work on TV, where we can get a more detailed exploration of the characters and their universe.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

More information from Deadline Hollywood:

And more on the conference call from The Hollywood Reporter:

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well that extra info sounds very good. Having an extraordinary event create the Flash means it wont happen a lot and leaves an opening for versions of the classic rogues.

11. davejames

Well nice to hear he'll be wearing an actual costume at least. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe they'll have a White Event. That would be a great way to intro this New Universe.

13. Icemizer

I wonder if they will tame Barrys powers down to the Wally level back when his series originaly started. Cant exceed the speed of sound, cant vibrate through things, has to eat constantly. A full blown Flash is a very powerful creature. I also hope the Speed Force figures into things. This would allow them to actually introduce dare I say Wally at some point in the series.
    Captain Cold, Heatwave, The Top, Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash and The Eradicator(no not the Superman one) top my list of villians to see.
    Colonel Computron, Big Sir, and Rainbow Raider need never appear.

14. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since they're using Barry Allen (YAY!!!) in the series, I wonder if they'll use Wally West (as the main character) in the movie. Seems like that would be a way to divide series and movie continuities while still allowing crossover with the two characters...Although I guess they can't both be called the Flash if they're both active at the same time? I stopped reading the comic book before Wally showed up, I think.

15. Christopher

^I've seen stories where Barry, Wally, and Jay were all working together and all called Flash.

16. Icemizer

I would think any mention of Jay would be a bad idea. This would mean some type of heroes were out there fighting in the past and again noone remembers them. Best if Ollie and Barry were two of the first.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Jay? Is he the Old School Flash with the Silver Wok for a hat?

18. Christopher

^Yes, Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Flash, who wore a replica of the Roman god Mercury's helmet.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Flash on TV again....I'm game.

I'm behind and only seen segments of Arrow. Need to watch a few episodes and get a better feel for what that shows tone is like and how that might affect Flash.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I was skeptical at first but with this new information I am cautiously optimistic.