Rolling Stone Magazine makes a case for TNG to return to TV

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by VOODOOXI, Sep 10, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.. hate to say it, but I think Frakes and Sirtis are too old these days to carry a series. It would have to be another "generation" or so ahead of Nemesis with a new crew/cast. Could have the old classic chars turn up in cameos, but that's about it.

2. Dantrek

Dantrek Ensign Red Shirt

I would just put a newer crew on the Enterprise-E. Maybe Riker would take over as captain with Data as his first officer. Deanna could be there, although I never understood having the ships counselor on the bridge. I just assume because she was betazoid. I would think Geordi would be promoted by now so Im not sure how to work him in. Worf could be the 2nd officer. Since Klingons live very long lives, he has plenty of time to become a Captain. It would be nice to see crossover stories with characters from the other series. I would love to see them explore the ramifications of Romulus being destroyed and the disappearance of Ambassador Spock. Star Trek does play better on TV than in movies. Unless the galaxy is in peril, and things are blowing up left and right most movie goers don't understand Star Trek. I am not knocking Abrams movies, they are good and visually nice. Although I could do without the lens flares and camera shakes during ship battles. I don't know why space should shake watching two ships battle each other.

3. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

The plot just isn't possible, already written futures of these characters (after Nemesis) would interfere with the plot of the new show.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What already written "futures" are you talking about?

5. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

novels describing what happened after nemesis. http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_Nemesis#Post-Nemesis

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If they go back to filming in the Prime universe, those stories will be tossed.

7. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love TNG, it's had it's day. The actors are too old now and Data really couldn't be involved as much as I would love to have him back unless they could do some sort of CGI on his face. I would prefere a new series with new characters with cameos from time to time for the list of TNG/DS9/VOY characters. Admiral Picard would be nice to see from time to time. Same with Captain Riker.

8. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

If they were to do a new TNG series they would have to do a reboot with new younger actors. The TNG actors are all too old now to carry a show and to become their characters again.

James McEvoy who played the younger Professor Xavier in Xmen would make an excellent younger Picard but I doubt he would want a TV role when he's quite popular in films. Alternatively could pick Paul Bettany or maybe a good thing to do would be to find someone who does mainly theatre like they did with Patrick Stewart.

Jim Parsons who plays Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory would make a good Data, he looked the part in the episode when he dressed up as him and would play the awkwardness of the character well as well as the humour, failing that Jesse Eisenberg could also pull off Data very well.

Billy Brown, who played Mike Anderson in season 6 of Dexter and has appeared in several other cult tv shows would be my choice for Worf. Strong, big built actor who can be very serious.

Sarah Wayne Callies would make a good Dr Beverly Crusher.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see such a hypothetical series be a "TNG: Phase II" with Riker finally in command of the Enterprise. Both he and Troi could be surrounded by all-new younger characters, including a hotshot XO that will remind Riker a lot of himself when he was Picard's XO.

But really, it's all just wishful thinking, much like countless other proposals for a new Star Trek series, IMO...

10. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure I get the aversion to aging. I don't think Frakes is too old at all. Think about all the older captains and admirals we've seen on Trek before. I would love to see him in the captain's chair.

Sure, Data presents a problem because he's not meant to age. But Riker is meant to grow old.

11. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think they could work around the Data aging thing. Maybe he just decided to alter his appearance for whatever reason. He did try having a beard.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And he played with adding grey to his hair, also, didn't he?

"Why, yes, Captain Riker, I did age my face. I find it uncomfortable looking the same age, while all my friends faces are so wrinkly they look like a Pit Bull's butt" ;)

13. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

Rolling Stone say Insurrection was better than Nemesis? Insurrection felt like a Christmas special to me.

14. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just want a new Trek TV series so bad that at this point I would accept anything.

Well, almost anything....