STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Hand communicators also work between the Neutral Zone and Earth. Space is a lot smaller in the nuVerse - must be those new black holes.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And the fact they were at warp for around five minutes at most before getting back to Earth, which at 250,000 kilometers to it, they should really have started slowing down before the Vengeance shot them out of warp, as they were already about to shoot past it.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm tech retarded and never notice things such as the color of the nacelles debacle but I can't overlook the incredible dumbness of those two examples in donners post. Now maybe there has been a super dooper tech development somehow tied in with the need to advance the military side of Starfleet because Vulcan blew up? I really need a throw away line explanation.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Jellfyfish and Narada had the same warp effect as ships in the new timeline, so it's just supposed to be how Warp has always looked, the same as all the changes like that.

But the new universe ships seem to have fully functional transwarp drive as standard, skipping from Earth to Vulcan or Kronos in minutes.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Leaving nothing for fans and professional tie-in novelists to extrapolate?

Where have you been for four decades? :rommie:

Two members of the same species, weren't they?

Had Caitians been used, we'd have people screaming, "But Caitians were in ST IV and ST V. Show us something new!"

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the instant communication was cool. Just 50 years ago the idea that we could have instant global communication was science fiction. Who knows what they'll have in 250 years' time? Surely all you need is enough bandwidth and a ton of booster relays dotted around Federation space. NX-01 Enterprise laid the first few and kept real-time communication with Earth. And they passed Kronos in episode one.

As for how they got everywhere so fast - speed of plot. In Voyager, warp speed is incredibly slow. In every other Trek, they get where they need to go in the space of a scene break - in DS9's case, usually via tiny Runabout.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The film gives an explanation for the beaming incident.

Section 31 seized Scotty's formula for Transwarp beaming from the shuttle on Delta Vega and built a prototype emergency transport unit, one use only. Khan used it to 'beam-eject' from the ship he was in.

As to the communicator, Kirk likely had Uhura patch it into the ships own subspace communications system and using it to reach Earth, it wasn't just the communicator on it's own.

Yes, I just meant two new aliens, not two new speices. And I'm not so sure, when it comes to the cute and furry fans seem to be ok, everyones bitching about Kirk's reivial, but they're fine with the Tribble surviving.

8. teacake

Oh that's right Chemaku, thank you!

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman::techman: This is an excellent post.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please keep the goddamned Furries out of Star Trek.

11. teacake

That's a bit speciest of you Dennis.

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Transwarp beaming... I hate, hate, HATE it. :klingon:

Kirk calling Scotty on his communicator was strange in the cinema but after thinking about it I realised that Kirks communicator is probably wirelessly connected to the Enterprises communications array rather than just the communicator working on its own 'signal' and this works for me.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Furries aren't a species, they're nerdy fetishists. :lol:

nuTrek uses the communicators like cellphones, which is intuitively sensible. Yeah, I'm sure the ship's comm system is a helluva cell tower. ;)

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

10 new reviews on RT today all told, up to 90% fresh. 54 0f 60

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Poor "Mr. Beaks" at AICN - in a couple of days he'll have to endure the indignity of Fat Harry landing on the site with his half-apologetic brown-nosing rave review of the movie. :lol:

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey Peeps!

:D Saw Into Darkness last night, and loved every minute of it.

Lifts the bar from the initial framework Trek XI established, and strikes a near perfect balance of humour, tension, drama, pace, and story-telling, IMO.

Far more character-driven than Trek XI (which I also love).

Highly recommend to all!

:) Need to book another viewing session!!!

PS: it was nice to see the line up of starfleet models on Admiral Marcus's desk (including the NX-01, USS Kelvin, and the USS Vengeance (ominously present)...

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Because there wouldn't have been time to test the others' blood. For all McCoy knew, Harrison's blood may have been altered by Section 31 to make him an extra-invulnerable agent.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

That's really reaching. "Let's suddenly assume that Section 31 has advanced regenerative medical technology that no one knows about despite there being no indication of that," is no different than "a wizard did it."

19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Saw it again, enjoyed it even more a second time....

The Star Trek title gives me goosebumps.

20. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

I thought that the human in the torpedo that McCoy and Marcus disarmed looked a bit like Picard. How about if they did that?

So what's going to happen to the 72 augments?