Disappointing page-a-day calendar 2013

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I picked this up last Thursday night. It's been some years since we got one of these and at first glance it looks to be the same format as previous years. It's packed in the usual cardboard box. $US 14.99 (one from 2003, ten years ago was $US 12.99). But...

I was surprised it was quotes and info only - no pictures! I doubt mine was a misprint.

Of course, a text-only calendar pad would be much cheaper to reproduce. New fans wouldn't know the difference. Older collectors buy it and don't realise it is text-only until they get it home; I assume some will return it for a refund. Casual buyers picking it up for Christmas gift-giving probably don't find until until after December 31 that it has no pics.

Just a heads-up for those pondering about getting it.

2. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I want to see a page-a-day calender of Trek-Lit covers through the years.

3. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

NO PICTURES?!?

I'm out.

4. Therin of Andor

I think that was suggested once, but there's be too much red tape involved due to different contracts and negotiated rights with all the cover artists. Printing the covers next to summaries, reviews and interviews in "Voyages of Imagination" was one thing, showcasing 365 examples of cover art in a calendar = much trickier.

5. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Is there a master list of Star Trek novel cover art and book synopsis?

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the nuTrek 2013 calander yesterday, and I was disappointed in that, too. I realize we weren't going to get anything from Star Trek Into Darkness, but that it was made up entirely of spaceship stills from the first movie and some paintings from Star Trek: The Art of the Movie was a disappointment after seeing Tobias Richter's fantastic original shots of the Enterprise leaving spacedock and the USS Kelvin in last year's Ships of the Line.

7. Therin of Andor

"Memory Beta", although its certainly not complete/exhaustive. Quite a few entries have multiple covers shown. Most entries have blurbs preserved, even if no one has done the character lists, etc.

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Cool, thanks Therin:bolian:

9. Therin of Andor