What do you people think about the 4x03 Brothers episode?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by khelben1979, Nov 24, 2008.

?

What do you people think about the 4x03 Brothers episode?

Poll closed Dec 24, 2008.
  1. One of the best TNG episodes I've ever seen!

3.0%
  2. A very good episode.

63.6%
  3. Good.

27.3%
  4. Not good.

6.1%
  1. khelben1979

khelben1979 Ensign Red Shirt

The episode where Mr Data takes control of Enterprise is in my opinion a very good episode. Maybe one of the best? (I don't know at this time)

What do you people think about this episode?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I think it's great. I loved seeing Data taken off the leash and essentially run rings around the rest of the crew. He beat them every step of the way.

Then we got to the planet and we had some great character drama played by one man, which is all the more impressive.

One small problem - apparently that extra long code he uses to lock out the Enterprise computer isn't the same one that actually appears on the screen. :lol:

3. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I always found the episode boring...

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was some amazing work done with the camera, allowing Brent Spiner to act as three different characters in the same scene. It's absolutely seamless the way they do that.

5. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

The episode doesn't even start until Data meets Soong, the rest is all Data Becoming a Liability to the Ship...again...

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it, except for the two kids storyline. I guess it was necessary for the end, but it would have significantly improved the episode if it was all about Data.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Data's a liability to the ship ? With Mr. I Like to Provoke Civil Wars around ?

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I never understood why no one considered to place a torpedo on deck 2 and blow the bridge and Data up. Or they could have used a shuttle from the main shuttle bay to completeley destroy the upper decks of the saucer section from the inside. Instead they wanted to cut through the floor, even as a 12 year old kid I screamed "force field" and knew it would never work.:vulcan: It's like they didn't even try to get control of the ship back, why didn't they use force, why didn't they sabotage the warp drive or something? All they did was pressing buttons in main engineering and saying things like "Oh, Data was faster/smarter/better".:rolleyes:

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Why don't the locks on the shuttlebay doors work? Why does the warp core ejection system never work? Why do transporters work in areas in which sensors don't work? :)

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Or, you could just fire a phaser at the warp core and get the job done that way.

Oh, wait, I thought the point was to regain control of the ship, not blow it to pieces.

11. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

This is probably the incident Data's critics point to as the reason he was never given a promotion. Why didn't Data take a shuttle, and take out ships sensors, why did he take the whole ship cripple it and lock it down.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Not the whole ship, but why not decks 1, 2 and 3 if necessary? They had no idea what Data was planning to do, destroying a small part of the ship would have been justifiable. Of course I didn't expect them to do it (for obvious real life reasons like Brent Spiner staying on the show), but why couldn't someone at least suggest to destroy the bridge? Maybe Picard would have said no or Data would have blocked access to the shuttle bay or the torpedos, but it would have been better then trying almost nothing after the saucer seperation failed.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Doing any such thing is completely over the top. Eventually they could have gone out in spacesuits and cut through the dome at the top of the saucer section or any of a million other options that don't involve blasting bits of the ship to pieces.

As for this being the reason why Data never got a promotion, he was not in full control of his actions due to external influence. That happens to various members of the senior staff multiple times during TNG's run. Should none of them be promoted either ?

Riker brought the Ktarian game back to the Enterprise in "The Game" and they made him a Captain.

The real reason the Enterprise's senior staff didn't all get commands is that it would have meant breaking up the cast. It's the same reason the Enterprise-A ended its life with three Captains and three Commanders in its senior staff.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

For the same reason Matt Decker, the space hippies, and zillions of others over the years have gotten off the Enterprise...its works for the story.

RAMA:lol:

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like this episode. We learn stuff about the Enterprise; the beginning is great with the evactuation of the bridge; cranky Riker "we had to look out of a window to know that we'd come out of warp" is amusing. Brent Spiner's turn as the 3 Soongs was excellent, and his portrayal of the dying doctor quite moving. Could probably have done nicely without the B plot with the kids.

16. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

what do you mean by "you people" ??

-- bob downey jr. in tropic thunder

17. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Was the Battle Bridge ever considered for regaining control? All they would have to do would sever the connection from the main Bridge and then control the ship from the Battle Bridge. Would it really be that hard to do what with all the Engineers they have on board and the fact that it doesn't require a command authorisation to sever a connection, just go in, find the right router and pull it out or whatever the equivialent would be in the 24th century?

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Data did a very thorough job of completely crippling Picard's command authorisation.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Denizens of the boards

20. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Hey, I admit Worf should've been kicked to the curb for his antics. Troi wasn't better, as her "powers" seemed to attract psychos and dangerous noncorporeal entities. Dr. Crusher's role in GENESIS needs investigation. Riker murdered two developing humans acting on pure emotion, with Pulaksi an accessory to the crime.

That's why the crew's initial reaction to Ensign Ro seems hypocritical. Just because she didn't luck out and get a reset button like Picard and Co. do every week.