THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

If Jackson and Co. are in fact intending for the 'framing story' of The Hobbit movies to take place during the early part of Fellowship, they're going to have to eventually re-release new cuts of the Fellowship theatrical and extended editions in order to compensate, since, unless they do, it's going to be hard for fans to sit down and watch the eight movies in order on DVD without the 'narrative flow' being disrupted slightly.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There is such a thing known in editing as a time cut. That is you cut from one scene to another and there is an implicit passage of time in which any audience not made up of half-wits can deduce that events not directly linked to the main narrative took place, even though we didn't see them. So long as the framing takes place somewhere between these scenes I don't see a need for revisionism.

The only place one could legitimately alter FotR with this sort of thing in mind is the brief shot from 'Riddles in the Dark' where a younger looking Ian Holm finds the ring. That and I suppose that very early effects work shot of Gollum in Moria.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

George Lucas would probably do that.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

8 Movies?

Hobbit 1
    Hobbit 2
    Fellowship of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    Return of the King

Where do these other 3 movies come into the picture?

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm well, 8 DVDs probably.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Possibly the 2 Rankin Bass productions and the Ralph Bakshi Lord Of The Rings.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the '8 movies' thing from considering the theatrical and extended cuts of the LotR films to be completely separate movies/entities (since there are significant differences between them), but you're right that there really are only 5 films.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

On the matter of how the dwarves look like different people, I couldn't help but notice (as did my mom) that Bofur (James Nesbitt) looks like George Harrison in the shot of him singing.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oh god.. didn't expect that today when i checked IMDB.

I absolutely adore the LotR movies and i was happy to see that The Hobbit would be made and Jackson seems to knock it out of the park again.

I had chills when the dwarves sung in Bilbo's home and to see some some iconic locations and things like Narsil, the blade that cut Sauron and Bilbo unsheathing Sting.. a fanboy's dream.

It looks like the entire vibe of the LotR movies is back and it instantly pulled me back to when they were released originally.. those 3 times in the premiere showings (didn't care that it was middle of the week and i had to work that day) with my friends when we swam away to a fantasy land to see a brilliant story come to life on the screen was some of the best movie going experiences i ever had and i'm happy to go back to Middle Earth next Christmas.

10. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

The trailer was not what I was hoping for... It trades a bit TOO much on LOTR nostalgia for my taste instead of giving us glimpses of exciting things to come. I was hoping for some money shots.

But there are some very good parts as well. The dwarf singing scene is really excellent and the center-point of the trailer.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's practically a given that we get a shot like this

[​IMG]

It's become synonymous with Peter Jackson and LOTR's

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In the book timeline it's 77 years between The Hobbit and the bulk of LOTR, but Jackson's film ignored the 17 years between Bilbo's party and The Shadow of the Past.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I used the first date, not the second. Wasn't sure how to calculate it if weeks or months passed instead of years. Not that this matters at all.

Either way, emphasizing continuity makes more sense to me than emphasizing differences. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was shot in a different style to its detriment (there were other problems, but the only one that bugged me was the emphasis on blue and orange of modern movies that makes it too distinct from the original three). Here, we're still dealing with Hobbits from Middle Earth going on a quest. It'll involve a lot of walking, but also adventure. The tone of the movie will certainly be different because the Hobbit is a lighter tail, but I don't see why it should look too visually different.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

First, I'm a passive LOTR fan. Fan may not be the right word. I appreciate them. For $2 at Black Friday last year I did buy them.
    So, I just saw the trailer and it looks great. Amazing actually. The Hobbit is the only Tolkein I've ever read so I'm a bit more vested in seeing this.
    It's amazing how seamless the imagery is. These are going to make for a great super LOTR box set in 2013.

15. The Nth Doctor

2014 because the second film comes out in December 2013.

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

The Ring, Sting, Gollum, Gandalf, Galadrieal and Frodo are not money shots for part 1 of a movie still one year away? I think it gave us more than even The Dark Knight Rises Trailer did.
    This is what Jackson considers a teaser. Imagine the next trailer in 6 months or more.

17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Also, the opening shot of the trailer -- with Bilbo and Frodo at Bag End -- includes the "No Admittance - Except On Party Business" sign. So the "framing" scene definitely takes place in and around the same time as the beginning of Fellowship.

Based on the fact that Frodo is walking away from Bag End, I wonder if Bilbo's "My dear Frodo" from the trailer is a voice over as he begins writing in the Redbook -- and occurs just before, "Where to begin? Ah yes: Concerning Hobbits" in the FOTR: EE.

18. The Nth Doctor

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Here's a question for the Tolkien experts: if Gloin is Gimli's father and Balin is Gimli's cousin, then that'd make Balin and Gloin brothers (in blood or in law) correct? It's just if that's the case then why does Balin look so very much older than Gloin? Like 100 years older!

20. The Nth Doctor

Not quite. Balin's father, Fundin, and Gloin's father, Groin, are brothers. Also, Oin is Gloin's brother and Dwalin is Balin's brother.