Official Blurb for The Soul Key

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Fear that your "save Taran'atar" campaign might need to be replaced by a "Taran'atar RIP" signiture? I share your fear. Exciting, isn't it?! :)

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the fear part...
    I liked how Olivia Wood handled people and their feelings towards Taran'atar in FS... actually I've been pleased about how all the DS9PF writers have. They've been great following the lead of characters like Sisko and Odo when it comes to the Jem'Hadar.

Hmm... a Taran'atar RIP signature... dear land I hope not... I'll have to start rooting for Rotan'talag then. Taran'atar's name sounds... smooth next to that...

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ Fearful Symmetry does have that great scene where Sisko mentions some of the Jem'Hadar they've encountered over the years.

4. Deranged Nasat

I agree the relaunch has done a fantastic job of reminding us Jem'Hadar are people, each unique and complex in his own right, and not just war-cattle. I also agree with you and the above post that the discussion about Jem'Hadar in "Fearful Symmetry" was a highlight of the book.

Just out of interest, how exactly do you pronounce "Taran'atar"? Is it Ta-Ran-A-tar or taran-Atar?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Onscreen, Jem'Hadar names were generally iambic, with the main stress on the second syllable and a secondary stress on the fourth syllable. I assume Taran'atar's name would be the same.

6. Deranged Nasat

Ah, yes, thank you. I thought so, and I tend to go with Ta-Ran-A-tar, but it's been a while since I watched my DS9 (no time, sadly).

7. Marie1

Did you find it sometimes depended on who was talking? Or was I just not paying attention. it was more/less subtle?

It seemed like Worf used more stress, and Weyoun (and Bashir) barely stressed at all...

I'm still about confused about how Jadzia pronounced Virak'kara's name. Then again, it was in the middle of a battle.

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, purely by looking at it, that one seems to buck the trend - i would imagine it as Veer-ak-KAR-ah.

Similarly one of the names from "Hippocratic Oath" - Temo'Zuma. Now I realize that's some kind of in-joke, and that it was never actually spoken onscreen, but by the look of it, it would be TEM-oh-ZOO-mah.

I always liked the name Ikat'Ika myself. Just sounds cool.

9. Deranged Nasat

Weyoun has such a silky voice normally, and lower and faster when he's angry, I don't believe he stresses much of anything. Bashir tends to pronounce non-human names differently, anyway: Quark, for instance. I suppose Worf would use more stresses, being a Klingon warrior with a forceful approach to most of life's problems. I don't remember how Jadzia pronounced Virak'kara. I haven't watched my DS9 in far too long.

Hmmm, speaking of Jadzia, I'm reminded that in the episode "Equilibrium", the Trill doctor Renhol pronounced Jadzia with a stress on the first syllable, and the name was much more compact. I've always liked to think that this is the true pronounciation (seeing as it was a Trill on planet Trill using it), and the "normal" way of pronouncing it is how Standard renders the name. Maybe Jem'Hadar names come through different translators differently? This might be why the stresses are different on occasion. Does this make sense, or is it random babbling?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would expect it to be iambic, as every other Jem'Hadar name I know was. So Virak'kara.

Not necessarily. If it were, say, a Japanese name, then it would be pronounced pretty much according to the usual iambic pattern of a J'H name, Temozuma. (Whenever you see a U in a Japanese word, you can assume it's unstressed to the point of virtual nonexistence.) And I recall a special on Native American history in which the name of Mohtecuhzoma (the Aztec ruler generally known as Montezuma) was accented similarly in the narration, with the stresses on the second and final syllables. Not every language uses the rhythms and emphases we'd expect in English.

11. Marie1

And I think that may have been what she said, but she kinda trailed off at the end?

I liked Ikat'ika and Remata'klan, the latter cuz it seems like something you'd just brush off, not realizing how much trouble you'd be in.

No, you make sense, especially considering what we have to work with- alien names, actors with different accents etc. And yeah, who knows what the Translators do?

Good catch with Worf and Bashir! Ahh... Bashir saying Quark.
    I'd think that given Weyoun's long history with the Jem'hadar, he should be able to pronounce them properly, but that might be putting too much mental power into a being that didn't care, by a condecending person.

Thanks, that makes sense. It was always the trickiest for me.

And thanks for posting the Japanese/Aztec history- it's neat! :)

12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

13. Marie1

Now, Amazon lists this book for release on July 25th I think. Now, is a date that specific usually accurate?

Am I excited for this and TN-ES? (LOL!)

[​IMG]

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That is very hypnotic and with this heat, I may fall sleep watching this.

15. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

That kid is just too creepy for words.

16. Marie1

^ For the record, I don't look like that. At all.

It is being used solely to express my excitement.

Haha!! Get your rest so you can read SK & TN-ES without stopping... except between them... umm... okay, maybe one at a time...

Wait a minute! You're in England! What are you calling "heat" atm?

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

well my vista weather gadget is saying that it's 28 degrees out. Admittedly this may be cool for some parts of the world, but here in Blighty, it's like hells inferno itself.

18. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, Marie, what's the deal with that graphic? Not exactly nice... :-/

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oooh, that sounds like a nice cool spring day here. According to my weather channel desktop it is now 98F/37C, and a couple days ago it was up to 110F/43C.

20. Marie1

^ According to my dad's car's thermometer... which is sometimes off, it was 19C today. Which is because it hasn't stopped raining since I got back from apparently leaving all the good weather across the pond. :mad:

But recently it's been in the 30Cs plus super humid so... blah!

Is it humid? If not, it sounds wonderful and I'm coming back over to mooch!!

I believe the kid is drumming? Well, air drumming? But when you speed it up like that, it seriously looks like he's as excited as I feel. I kid you not (no pun intended). I stole it- it's an animated bumper sticker from Facebook. One of the least offensive, TBH.

OT- I'm crazy pumped for this book!!!! I'm not totally bent on ending this arc or whatever, but I'm not sorry that it will- I really want to know what's going on after the Dominion Worlds story. But I do what to know what's going to happen in this and TN-ES. A lot. I'm thinking of preordering them, I've never done it...