Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Cool, I think you'll continue to be pleasantly surprised. :)

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that you've reached the episode, I wanted to ask, does what you know now change your opinion on A Human Reaction and are you going to give it another try?

As for scorpious, one of the things I love about about the show is character development. I think farscape developed characters so well, better than other shows, that yeah they may start out as generic, but don't end that way.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't changed my mind about A Human Reaction. Its only been a few episodes, and The Hidden Memory, while a good episode, did nothing to make me want to go back to A Human Reaction.

4. kirk55555

Bone to Be Wild (Farscape) - This was another good episode.Scorpius is definately bearable by now, which makes me hope he might be a compelling villain some day. Crais gets put in his place by scorpius in this episode. I get that he has a lot of pride, but if Crais had listened to Scorpius's sugesstion near the beginning, they probably would have found the fugitives. However, scorpius having super strength, and probably not being the same species as most peacekeepers, was kind of generic, its like the writers just want to burn into my brain that he's not very original :vulcan:

The planet was interesting, as was the fact that Zhaan is a plant (which does make sense when you think about it). I figured the woman was the real monster immediately, it was pretty obvious. I didn't like when Zhaan got all angry that John wasn't concered about the saftey of the plants, taking it personally, like he's some anti-plant guy. He was talking about how sentient beings had been killed. Zhaan may be a plant, but she was the only sentient one on the planet. Did she expect John to care about average plants? That he should be worried if a vine or flower lives or dies? If the monster had just been eating non sentient monkies, I don't think John would have been too concerned, either.

I liked the parts with Aeryn and the baby, and that she had to help convince it to trust them. The baby is pretty cool. Just one more episode of season 1 left to go.

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything you say is hilarious.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Possibly you are. I love Farscape and I think Chiana is great. (Seriously, from where I'm sitting right now, I can see my Chiana action figure and an autographed photo of Gigi Edgely framed on my wall.) But even I find "Taking the Stone" pretty much unbearable, mainly because the guest aliens are soooo annoying.

As for Scorpius . . . without giving too much away, he definitely gets more and more fascinating as time goes. Which doesn't mean that he is ever nice or likeable, but he's definitely charismatic and interesting.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

17 pages in a month?! This is what happens when you live on an island.

Glad you picked Farscape. Seasons 2-3 are awesome. I blindly bought the whole series last winter and loved every minute. :)

8. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to chime in that no matter how bad Taking the Stone is, it's a Shakespeare/Spielberg joint compared to A Prefect Murder.

Also, I enjoy Scratch n Sniff.

9. kirk55555

TKO (Babylon 5) - This was an entertaining episode. I liked seeing Smith trying to get a match, and his match at the end was pretty good. There was some interesting character development for Ivanova, although I thought that she had forgiven her father when talking to him before he died (and her flashing back to it is what basically made her forgive him, anyway). Also, I never would have guessed she was jewish, not that it matters but it was somewhat surprising (I could have missed it being mentioned in an earlier episode). Overall, this was a solid episode.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

One of the things that I like about B5 is the fact that the human characters ARE religious. That human religions EXIST. Now, I'm atheist, but it always gave me a headache that the characters in Star Trek just had seemingly NO belief system. It was ALWAYS the aliens.

Anyway, I'm glad JMS did that for the characters in B5.

11. kirk55555

While religous stuff in sci-Fi can be interesting when done well, I'm glad Star Trek pretty much ignores it when it comes to the main crews. Not counting DS9, there was never much religious stuff when it came to the humans. I'm not an atheist, but I'm not super religious, and I prefer my sci fi crews to do interesting things, not debate or have talks about religion. It was fine in DS9 because of the way it was done, andthe sheapard in Firefly was a good character, and religion seems to be done well in B5, but I wouldn't want it to come up too often. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on the show. I wouldn't want the Next Generation crew to take time off from exploring to have an episode involving earth religion, but I'm fine watching episodes about the prophets in DS9.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

B5 actually invents some "new" and fairly interesting human religions as well.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't think I was suggesting that the characters would debate religion. It would just be a part of who they are, it would inform their behavior. Their actions.

But then I think the blandest characters in Sci Fi can be found in TNG.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

So when's the next one?

15. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the record, I also sort of liked "Taking the Stone." It wasn't exactly Farscape's finest hour but I generally found it to be far more acceptable than some.

16. kirk55555

I took a bit of a break, but today I watched

Family Ties (Farscape) - This is the final episode of season 1, and it didn't disapoint. I enjoyed this episode from beginning to end. I was kind of surprised Rygel tried to betray them, not because it was out of character but because I didn't think he'd trust the peacekeepers to keep their bargain. All the alien heads in crais's office/quarters were creepy, I didn't think he'd be the kind of guy to take the heads of sentient aliens as trophies. Speaking of Crais, he was very interesting in this episode. First he fled his ship with Rygel looking for a safe haven, then he gave some info about the baby. Him taking off with the baby near the end was something I had guessed would happen, but it was still a good moment. There were so many great moments in this episode, especially between characters. Crais/John's conversation was good, even though I wonder about Crais's sincerity. John/D'Argo near the end was also great. I liked Aeryn and the pilots conversation, and her naming the baby. I also liked John talking to Moya to get her to starburst. The cliffhanger was effective because I want to see what happens next, even if I'm sure neither of them die.

Overall, I liked the first season. It had some horrible episodes (A Human Reaction, Jeremiah Chrichton) and after Chiana was introduced the show went through a rough patch, but it picked up near the end, and I'm interested in season 2. I probably won't be able to afford Season 2 until my birthday next month, but I do really want to get it. This show has so much going for it, like its awesome characters, and its awesome overall story (even if parts of it annoy me). I still get annoyed with Chiana, but I can handle it. I'm still not super excited for Scorpius, but I think I can see some potential for him to become meorable. I'm very glad I got this season, I think this show will go down as one of my favorite SciFi shows by the time I'm done with it, although I don't think it will dethrone Star Trek, Star Wars and Firefly as one of y top 3 SciFi franchies.

I have a bunch of babylon 5 episodes left to go, so I'll be posting about them as I watch them

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Babylon 5 Crusade

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

With the whole week off, I just finished a Farscape Season 1 rewatch the other day. Then I started Season 2.

I'm not going to critique any of the episodes, I liked them all. It's more of a all encompassing experience for me.

Near the end of Family Ties, when Crichton & D'Argo are heading to destroy the Gammak Base:

Crichton - "How you doin'?"
    D'Argo - "I have to pee."

:guffaw:

FS could be kinda silly at times.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk55555, if you have Netflix, then you can watch all four seasons of FS on their streaming service.

20. kirk55555

I don't have Netflix, but I just got lucky. Where I live, I use the public library a lot (its actually where I access the internet, I have no home internet). Looking through its online catalog, it turns out it has Farscape Season 2. The library system has a lot of seasons, but when I looked before buying S1, I searched for season 1 and didn't find it. The library has a bad habit of not rebuying an item once it was lost, which is what I guess happened to Season 1. I still want to get season 2 myself, but this looks like a free, and legal, way of watching it until I can afford it. I don't know when I'll get it, maybe I'll focus on finishing B%, or maybe I won't. I don't like having a time limit with seasons of shows, so even when i get the season it might take a few check outs to complete, but I'm glad I have the option.