McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

McG's 'Captain Nemo' beached by Disney

2. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

After the disastor of Terminator: Salvation, um I'm not surprised. McG proably wanted to turn Nemo into Ahab.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah well. Think it's about time for a We are Marshalls: Full Throttle movie, actually We are Marshalls was actually pretty decent.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Anything that keeps McG from making another movie is fine by me.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Me too. The man has zero talent as a movie-maker. Hopefully somebody like James Cameron can do a better version of this classic story-maybe even update it to the present day (the Nautilus is now powered by fusion rather than by nuclear power instead, and Arronax, realizing this, want to get its secrets so that the world can benefit.)

7. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

McG is actually a very talented filmmaker. When not being pissed around by film studios and movie stars, he's actually quite a good filmmaker. He does what Michael Bay does, except coherently and without the coke.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Something to get Cameron back into the ocean

:techman:

What I mean by that is more "Abyss" and less "Titanic"

9. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

They should've not let him make t4 after x3. Sure x3 made a ton of money. However the fan backlash on that movie is so huge, why would a studio give him such a major fan based project again?

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Are you serious?

I admit i enjoyed Charlies Angels 1+2 but only on a superficial level because it was so goofy and funny.

The only advantage he has on Bay is that he didn't discover shaky cam (yet).

Both are popcorn directors and i'd call neither one a good director.. i'm still laughing when it was pointed out to him how that big humancollector robot was able to "sneak" up on that house in the middle of the desert and ambush everyone and he was stunned because he couldn't explain it.

McG should stick to music videos and small franchises where he can do no damage.

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I am serious. He fucked up on T4, there's no question. He allowed the studio to meddle too much. He allowed a star to come in and shake things up with his demands. Then, to top it all off, he paid too much heed to the internet and freaked out to the bad response the original screenplay made, and halfway through production (and this partly due to the aforementioned studio meddling) started changing things around so as not to piss people off. All horrible, horrible mistakes, and I hope he's learned lessons.

But if you look at the Charlie's Angels movies and his other directing work, the guy has a steady eye. He knows how to construct a through line when it would be easy to go off the rail, and he has an incredible talent for retention of tone and visual key. All things Michael Bay does not have. Look at a McG action sequence and a Bay action sequence, and a McG one is far more visceral in a perceptually retainable yet still kinetic way.

Someone should point that out to Captain Craig. ;)

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Are you talking about X-Men 3?

If so, you're confusing McG with Brett Ratner....;)

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I liked Terminator Salvation. So sue me.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed CA 1 on that level, but I thought CA 2 was a mass of disjointed manic hallucinations that was more a collection of bad music videos than coherent movie.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really appreciate how McG can turn a great story like We Are Marshall into a merely okay movie.