ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ ENT does not need to be remastered. It was made in HD from the get-go.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

season 2 cover art

i didn't see this on this thread. sorry if repost.
    Star Trek: Enterprise Season 2 on Blu-ray cover art
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exclusive-enterprise-season-2-blu-rays-cover-art-revealed/

also trailer from February. length 2:30
    WATCH: Official Trailer for the First Season of ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’ on Blu-ray

after seeing Trekcore's season 1 blu-ray review
    I am really stoked about the "On the Set" documentary as a making of show specifically the episode "Vox Sola". 1 week of behind-the-scenes footage shot for this!

3. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: season 2 cover art

This is such a great doc. It's strange seeing the total chaos inside the writers room as it happened, and how the business of television production really works. They cover everything here - even visiting the CG team and composer/orchestra for the episode soundtrack

4. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Judging from the various trailers and screenshots I've seen thus far, I'm preparing for this release to be somewhat mediocre/lackluster in terms of picture quality. Sadly, I would advise those expecting to see the visual "pop" of TNG season 1 to temper their expectations. I hope I'm wrong though.

6. jefferiestubes8

I don't have an Apple TV box to rent or purchase HD content from iTunes but i would love to hear someone who does in a week do a comparison on their 46" or larger 1080p HDTV with an AppleTV and a blu-ray player to be able to compare the same season 1 episode picture quality of the two in 1080p.
    That should be a much closer comparison than the DVD standard definition discs from 2005.
    Sharpness, color, contrast, Digital Noise Removal (DNR) for the blu-ray mastering specifically.

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can do that. I have the standard discs, Apple TV, a big screen HD TV and the blu-rays coming next week.

I will let you know!

9. LOKAI of CHERON

Well, having been a home cinema enthusiast for decades - going back to the LaserDsic days. I will say, I watch my movies/HD content on an extremely large screen in a dedicated room - I'm trying really hard to not be boastful here! I have the Blu's on order and will certainly post my humble opinion comparing them to the DVD's when they arrive. I'm gonna go out a limb and predict we're looking at a Firefly type set in terms of PQ. If any of you have that, I'm sure you'll understand - e.g., better than the DVD's, but overall, inconsistent and disappointing from an HD perspective.

10. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

That's a pretty good example of what it looks like and Firefly was produced at around the same time as S1/S2 of ENT. I just posted this as a reply to someone in the TrekCore comments, but to give you an example... in "Strange New World" during the campfire scene, if you'll remember there are digital fireflies in nearly every shot (sans a few closeups) and so almost the entire scene is in 480p quality, with sharpening added during the 1080p uprezzing that was done in 2001-2002, resulting in pretty awful-looking ringing artifacts (aka edge enhancement) on the live-action footage.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Yep, patently, it was decided ENT wasn't worthy of a bigger spend by TPTB on this project - and a "good enough" philosophy was adopted. I guess I can understand that given the relative popularity of the show, but still, it's just a little disappointing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. jefferiestubes8

Remastering ENT for blu-ray

^ since ENT was mastered in HD CBS Home Video was going to release it as a HD home video product. They knew it in 2006 when they started TOS-R. At the time HD-DVD was in the plan for TOS. When the HD format war was over CBS made plans to release on blu-ray and do special features (Value Added Content VAC) and coincide with the release of TrekXI film.
    At this point they have the work done for TOS, And a ready for encode ENT, and a expensive and time intensive TNG that is halfway done with season 4.
    They were not going to spend the money on ENT to redo VFX when the master was in HD technically.
    If they think ENT has a great future in syndication, download, a all-Star-Trek 4k channel, a 4k or 8k physical home video release they will pay to remaster in 4k or 8k (the first 3 seasons from 35mm film) in 10 years. Season 4 is locked at 1080p resolution (uprezzed in-camera from 1080x1440 - Sony HDWF-900 camera)
    Some 35mm shot tv shows are doing it right now for 4k.
    See here
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=7788298&postcount=44

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  13. LOKAI of CHERON

Re: Remastering ENT for blu-ray

Thanks for the info, jefferiestubes8! Nevertheless, based on the evidence I've thus far scrutinised, I am of the opinion the product will probably be somewhat variable/mediocre in terms of HD PQ when I view it as an end user. Although I can appreciate the reasons for it, the fact remains it is/was possible to produce a superior product, and that, frankly, is all I'm bothered about. :techman:

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only way they could've made "a superior product" is by redoing all of the effects like they did with TOS. Expecting that to ever happen is... unrealistic.

15. jefferiestubes8

16. LOKAI of CHERON

I was under the impression the existing FX could be rendered again at 1080? I could be mistaken on that, and am perfectly happy to be corrected! Beyond that, the reviews are coming in now, and they do seem to be reporting a lot of inconsistency and softness in much of the image quality. I won't comment further until I've seen the discs on my own system. But, if borne out, I feel I'm perfectly justified in holding an opinion the end product isn't as good as it could have been. If others are completely happy with it - that's great.

17. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Re rendering depends on the source. I don't know what software was in use for Enterprise but you might have several problems like are the files compatible with a modern version of that software or not and an even bigger problem are the textures used. If the textures were created with 720p in mind, even if the files/saves can be still used they might have to redo every single texture ... So rendering again might be harder than just hitting the render button ...

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blu-ray.com has posted its review of the first season set. They've rated the image quality three stars out of five. That's pretty poor.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

How does that compare to TNG S1 and S2?