Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers

My movie going experience started in the 80's a pseudo launching point for the sequel machine as it revved up into high gear.
    A few original films at the end of the 70's/early 80s like Rocky, Raiders, Star Wars, Jaws, Alien, Halloween, Friday the 13th for example.
    Then came Nightmare on Elm Street, First Blood(Rambo), Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Predator, Robocop, Terminator...to bring this full circle to topic.

I know the board has a diverse age group but really, what era, how far back are you going for the qualifier "most movies there would be original"?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think one main difference is that a lot of the current blockbusters tend to be based on pre-existing properties -- reboots of old movies, continuations of older series, book adaptations, superhero movies, etc.

At least as far as I am aware, the older classics of the 70s and 80s (well, let's call them "middle aged classics") were themselves original works.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, 1903, that was a great year. Then the first remake of The Great Train Robbery came along a year later and screwed it all up. Hollywood's been on a downward spiral ever since. I mean, The Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Frankenstein? All crap (and all based on earlier novels, no less, so they're doubly unoriginal!).

It's always amusing to me that those who call for a return to the nonexistent golden era of total originality from Hollywood are completely unaware that they're using one of the most hackneyed and tedious complaints imaginable, second only to anything that begins with "The younger generations..." and ends with "these days." in my opinion. This complaint gets brought up virtually every time there's a remake, reboot, or adaptation announced, so I know a lot of the people who say it are aware of the reaction they're going to get, but just enjoy doing it anyway. Or they start making up arbitrary standards for why certain remakes don't count when they don't prove your point, and then proceed to move the goalposts even further from there.

Physician, heal thyself of your unoriginality.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Every year there are dozens, if not hundreds, of films released that are original. The fact that the viewing public eats up sequels shouldn't take away from the amazing films that go unnoticed or released to little fanfare.

The only reason we look back fondly on the 70's and 80's is because cream floats to the top, and shit sinks to the bottom. It's the same with music. 30 years from now, I can't wait to see what music from this decade survived for our children to listen to.

5. Locutus of Bored

And? Where in my post did I say anything that disparages or denies the existence of original films? My point was simply to debunk the oft repeated nonsense idea that there was ever a time in Hollywood history where remakes and adaptations weren't a common thing, with the exception of the very early experimental era, which can't even reasonably be called "Hollywood."

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Uh, I was agreeing with you? And continuing your main point? Please redirect your rage elsewhere.

7. Locutus of Bored

Man, if I had known that that was rage, I would have used all caps. Opportunity... missed. :(

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what each new Terminator entry does anyway? To wit:

- The first film was an absolutely closed loop.

- Then comes T2, which introduces ways to change the timeline (including several different outcomes).

- T3 and T:Salvation. Ditto. Is the date of Judgment Day consistent across ANY two films? :lol:

- Sarah Connor Chronicles, which IIRC exists in a time stream unique to itself and not part of any previous film. I can't remember if it actually is supposed to lead to Judgment Day or not.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Screw this reboot. Give me the movie where John Connor finally wins the war and sends Kyle Reese back in time.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Or one which prevents time travel ever being invented, and thus, erases Skynet from history.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

A movie that only exists to set up another story altogether? What could possibly go wrong? :p

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Cos rebooting it would be da fcuking awseom!!!111 right?

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No idea, but they ended up back in the future at the end. I'm looking at it as multiple routes to pretty much the same point.

I just don't want a full reboot / recast / remake. There is no need and it would more than likely be awful...

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see Arnold as all that important to the franchise any more. Honestly, I'd like to see Garret Dillahunt in the next film.

16. All-Seeing I

All-Seeing I Commander Red Shirt

Think this is the only way to go, if they plan out a consistent trilogy; loved the original first 2 movies, but 3 and 4 were dispensable, really.

Casting suggestion for the Terminator - Ryan Gosling. He plays cold and emotionless really well, and a scene in Gangster Squad when he stalked across a nightclub floor to assassinate a gangland boss, really reminded me of Club Noir scene in The Terminator. A normal-looking guy would be a far better infiltrator not only amongst the starved humans of the Future War, but also in the present day; Gosling is so innocuous-looking that people wouldn't look twice at him, until it's too late...

17. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Yes. :techman:

18. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Arnold Schwarzenegger is way too old to be the Terminator. He looks like someone who is 80 trying to be 50. Yeah, they could try and digitally de-age him, but that would just be spending a lot of money on something pretty questionable.

A reboot makes sense at this point, but I'm almost thinking there just isn't any need for any more Terminator movies.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Future War. I wish Terminator Salvation had been a better film so that we could've gotten two sequels of that, a nice trilogy to cap off the entire franchise.

I'm not going to lie and say I won't be in the theater for Terminator 5 unless they do some atrocious casting or other creative decisions, but that being said, I think they should leave it alone. Going back to the past just seems like a waste to me, especially if its to attack another member of the Connor family. Maybe if a time traveling Terminator had a different mission that would at least make it not so run of the mill.

In any future film it would be great though to get a nod or two to the Sarah Connor show, acknowledging it's part in the overall franchise too.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The franchise is shown to be huge story wise, the TV show was great and even said that it was in a different timeline, so really they can do whatever they want.

I didn't think T4 was all that bad, but should have been planned better.

I rather they tie it into the show than any of the past movies at this point.